What makes belts disintegrate?

4 belts on my flail mower didn't even make it to the first maint check prescribed in the manual.

I was mowing nothing to bad and poof.

To tight or to loose?

PXL_20220501_204920465.jpg

I don't see any signs of slippage on the pulleys, so my guess would be too tight. These can be purchased in matched sets from Gates.
Heat would also be a big factor, as well as overload or external damage.

Those do look like they tension on them could be out of spec.

If you want to get precise check the alignment of the pulleys some how.

How rough are the stop start cycles of the machine, or is the cutting system always running with the engine on.. Never used one.
When my garden tractors deck belt engages it slips the belt for a 1/2 second each time..

If you really wanted to get kinky, you could get some Kevlar belts if available for your fitment. How bad is it to change the belts? Worth the extra money, probably not.

We're absolutely positive there's zero play in bearings, shafts are not bent etc?

I understand it's a very different application but our '03 F150 started destroying belts once the REAR bearing of the alternator went out. I missed it in cursory inspections because you had to really use the good front bearing as a fulcrum to find the clunk-clunk at the back of the alternator

Possibilities include as one belt goes, gets caught by another, it goes and so on. Also as one fails, more stress is also put on the remaining.

Thanks for the replies

Want to point out this is brand new equipment. Has less than 3 hours use
Good god man.. Three hours is a joke..
Overtightened, wrong specs, pulleys out of alignment, maybe a pulley isn't seated all the way on a shaft.

But the first thing you should do is call where ever you purchased it at.. If they get defensive send them the picture, and call the manufacturer. You shouldn't have to deal with this crap.

Yeah the dealer has been fine. Ordered me new belts and never questioned what happened in a negative way.

I'm just curious what condition might have caused this. There is no slop in the pulleys and everything else seems fine.

Overtightened at the factory or defective belt(s) I guess

Yeah the dealer has been fine. Ordered me new belts and never questioned what happened in a negative way.

I'm just curious what condition might have caused this. There is no slop in the pulleys and everything else seems fine.

Overtightened at the factory or defective belt(s) I guess
Glad they are working with you. I'd have them set the tension to specs with you to learn the proper technique to check for wear on them.

Glad they are working with you. I'd have them set the tension to specs with you to learn the proper technique to check for wear on them.
They are a good dealer. They were going to drive up and do the repair FOC. 3 hours each way. I told them it's just belts, ship them to me and I'll do it myself.

1 more pic
PXL_20220502_181932495.jpg

Last edited:
So put the new belts on that I got for warranty. Checked them out after about 10 hours use and this is how they look. I used a tension gauge and installed the to specs in the manual. I did find out that they are only rated to 158 degrees F, could that be the problem, or did I make them to tight? Anyway put some Gates belts on rated to 250 degrees F and I will see how they do.

PXL_20220522_143838678.jpg

It's hard to imagine that BEFCO would supply OEM belts not up to the task.

The only things I can think of would be: 1) Pulleys out of alighnment, 2.) Too tight or too loose belts (slipping), 3.) Poor quality belts?, 4). Starting the mower above idle speed. 5.) Too heavy/tall material that you are mowing/scalping/too high ground speed, etc. 6.) Operating too far off 540rpm (high/low)

It seems like those cracks would happen as the belt is passing over the tensioner pulley. Maybe observe the belts working with the cover off?? to witness anything peculiar.
flail.jpg
Flail 2.jpg

Last edited:
Who’s the manufacturer on the replacement belts? I always thought decks used the green cloth covered ones, especially with backside idler pulleys? Usually cog V-belts can handle plenty of heat, so I doubt if heat could damage them.

Last edited:
Who’s the manufacturer on the replacement belts? I always thought decks used the green cloth covered ones, especially with backside idler pulleys? Usually cog V-belts can handle plenty of heat, so I doubt if heat could damage them.
sit torque flex xpb 1340 belts. I think sit and goodyear are made in the same place

These are rated to 158F and the gates I just put on are rated to 250f So I am hoping that is the difference maker

Back