what is your oil filter change interval ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is false economy to change filter every other oil change. If your filter is that good, you are using the wrong motor oil. Use an oil that matches the filter, like Castrol Edge EP that is good for 20,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Trav
Oil goes so does the filter. 5K max on synthetic for me.

Same here with the exception of the occasional miss on changing the oil due to life getting in the way. Typically, that is about 6-7k.

I do not think it matters hardly at all...

1) A oil filter has way way more capacity than anyone typically can use even in linger runs...

2) Motors that are NA do not create hardly any wear or other hard particles in use...

Turbo boosted GDI is different though...

3) A small amount of oil left in the filter and galleys is hardly more than 10-20 percent of the motors typical oil capacity... In my car it's only 10-18 ozs out of 156 total ozs... Not a big deal really...

4) There has been some studies that suggest a bit of old oil actually helps create different species of antiwear molecules that are very helpful when new oil is introduced. This could well be very, very helpful.

5) There's always some "old" oil left in a motor after draining... Always... Though it is not hardly anymore than say 0 5-2%... But it's always there. Which is a good thing. One thing I have observed is that when I do change the oil filter on my car there is a bit of start up noise... Not bad but there. Tells me the oil drains out quite well from near the crankshaft which makes sense because the oil filter on my car is on the same plane as the crankshaft...

Last edited:
How is too frequent oil change wear out engine faster? Engine oil is best when new anyway, so having reshest oil cant be bad. Environmental waste is something i agree on...

Originally Posted by kebabaluba
How is too frequent oil change wear out engine faster? Engine oil is best when new anyway, so having reshest oil cant be bad. Environmental waste is something i agree on...

It does not. This notion is based on flawed interpretation of one flawed paper that was discussed here in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back