what is your oil filter change interval ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
5k, oil and filter. Makes it easy to manage the other services that usually come along on the 10s, so to speak. This includes a 2016 Ram hemi, 2015 MB Bluetec, and 2011 MB C300. Oil and filter change are cheap insurance.

Every other 5,000 mile OCI using Valvoline Maxlife HM 10w30 and a Bosch filter. I personally wouldn't push mine much further than 5,000 miles per OCI.

Often enough to be confident the filter isn't significantly clogged or degraded, based on experience, but not stupidly often.

Why isn't this in the oil filter sub-forum?

Last edited:
In two of my vehicles the filter gets changed with the oil every 5,000-6,000 miles. In my van it gets changed every 4K miles, which now can take two or more years.

Escape: 5,000 miles oil & filter
Tiguan: 10,000 miles or once per year, oil & filter
F-150: Once a year, oil & filter

Every OCI, which is every 6 months on my Ram because I don't put enough miles on it and every 7000-7500 miles, which breaks down to every 3 months on the Chrysler. It may be overkill, but even with the cost of a quality filter, it's cheap insurance when you break the cost down over time.

When I lived in Kentucky, one of my co-workers had fulfilled a lifetime dream by working on an Indianapolis 500 pit crew for a couple seasons. He got a chance to talk quite a bit with the Shell lubrication engineer that was assigned to the race team, and they discussed oil change interval to some length. This was back when 3k mile oil change interval was the standard. The Shell engineer told my co-worker that he personally, didn't change oil on his cars at the 3k oil change interval. Instead, he changed the filter at the oil change interval, topped off. Then he would change oil and filter at every other oil change interval.

The Shell engineer insisted that motor oils are much more durable than most realize, and that the real danger was contamination. That is why he changed the oil at every interval. That was about 22 - 23 years ago. Most people were still using dino oils. But the point of removing contamination still makes sense with synthetic oils.

But here is the kicker. Many will argue that as a filter traps contamination, it becomes more efficient, and is able to trap smaller particles. Of course that only holds true as long as it doesn't go into bypass.

Originally Posted by wowthisexists
oil interval is now 7k to 10k
but what about oil filter?
how often do you replace filter?

Many oil filters these days can go 10K miles on well maintained engines.

If you have a sludger, then change it accordingly.

I put about 4500 miles a year on the Pilot. Using OEM filters so it's oil and filter changed every year.

oil filter replaced every oil change
smile.gif

7.5k for oil changes

Change filter every other oil change. so 15k on oil filter, and I only use Mobil 1, NAPA Gold or a Fram Ultra(preferred).

Mind you this is a 1.6L motor with a 3.8 quart sump!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back