What is Your Favorite Brand Of Salsa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a while you tend to "build" an immunity to it. I used to find Tostito's Hot Salsa wayyy too hot, now it's too sweet for me, and I tend to reach for the hot sauce bottle I carry in my suitcase for work (I kid you not).

Pablo I agree with you on the new Dave's...it's merely an endorphin rush with no culinary value. I must reiterate how much I like having a shaker of Death Rain around the house. It's a semi-dry spice that gets it done. Sprinkle into mac n' cheese, popcorn, yogurt whatever and you get your heat fix without the sometimes rough flavors of the wet sauces. My habanero plant is kicking out some fine specimens these days though so I'm just sticking to the fresh guys until winter hits. FYI- de-seeded finely minced habaneros mixed into a batch of garlic mashed potatoes is a fine accompaniment to any meal.

Today at SafeWay I managed to procure some Religous Experience Hot Salsa.

http://www.thewrath.com/

The author Chili Pepper Magazine seems to think The Wrath, a hot salsa by Religous Experience is the best. Hmmm...too bad SafeWay was all out of The Wrath!

I'll let you guys know how the Hot is today.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Pablo I agree with you on the new Dave's...it's merely an endorphin rush with no culinary value. I must reiterate how much I like having a shaker of Death Rain around the house. It's a semi-dry spice that gets it done. Sprinkle into mac n' cheese, popcorn, yogurt whatever and you get your heat fix without the sometimes rough flavors of the wet sauces. My habanero plant is kicking out some fine specimens these days though so I'm just sticking to the fresh guys until winter hits. FYI- de-seeded finely minced habaneros mixed into a batch of garlic mashed potatoes is a fine accompaniment to any meal.

Thanks for the tip pickled, that sounds pretty delicious actually!

I like making my own - pico de gaillo style.

Chopped tomatoes, diced sweet and red onion, chopped jalapeno, cilantro, a tiny bit of fresh garlic, and lime juice. salt and pepper of course.

Another awesome combination is drained canned corn, black beans, cilantro, red onion, avocado, lime juice, and rotell. Seriously. Work on that recipe till you get the combo right, and bring it to a party. It'll get devoured and you'll be king!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprintman
http://www.byronbaychilli.com/salsas.html

All the Byron Bay products are excellent, not commercial quality. Owned by another ex American. Available in Canada and the U.S (Florida, California, Maryland, Oregon, Delaware)

I'll check that link out tomorrow when I wake up. Thanks. If sprintman likes it, it has to be good.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I like making my own - pico de gallo style.

Chopped tomatoes, diced sweet and red onion, chopped jalapeno, cilantro, a tiny bit of fresh garlic, and lime juice. salt and pepper of course.

That's good stuff! I like to use green chile (nice smokey taste) or serrano (sharp, clean heat) and skip the black pepper. Substituting mango for tomato and serrano for jalapeno is an interesting mix, too... a little too foo-foo for Sunday football, though.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Dave's Insanity Salsa makes you hurt at both ends. It's addicting, but hotter than Hades.

Also some good stuff.

Oh no! I went grocery shopping the other day and the [censored] have axed my favorite kind of salsa; the isle is now heavily populated by "Tostitos" jars caged in designer add-in racks. I actually don't eat it that often, but I always keep a jar or two stocked out at our cabin in case the munchies strike. "Natalie's restaurant-style" salsa is just that. It's a very basic, nearly homogenously textured, but very balanced, clean, and appropriately nuanced salsa that goes with just about everything. I usually buy the medium.

After searching through the store for every possible point of relocation, some prayer, and a few tears, I decided to go on a tasting trip for some new ones. This is just a quick write-up to share my observations. I usually buy Tostitos "hint of lime" tortilla chips for salsa, so that's what I ate these with. I also like "Red Hot Blues", but I mostly eat those plain or only with salsa on rare occasions.

"Salpica habanero-lime" (hot): very tomato-y, almost marinara-like. Very pleasant habanero background, balanced, no grassy notes.

"Mrs. Renfero's" (hot): very viscous mouthfeel. This is exactly why I don't like Tostitos salsa (among other things). Unremarkable, muddled flavors. No heat whatsoever. None.

"Frontera roasted habanero" (hot): heavy-handed habanero, char flavors. Smoky nose. The habanero isn't necessarily overpowering because it doesn't seem like it's competing with anything else in the salsa (because there's nothing else there). If you eat this next to the Salpica, the Salpica is noticeably fruitier in character.

"Senorita Mertz" (medium): relish-like consistency, very heavy on the cumin (though this item is conspicuously absent from the ingredients list aside from the reference within "spices including paprika and turmeric"). Has a stewed-tomato sweetness.

My favorite out of all of these would be... none of them.
LOL.gif
I want my Natalie's [censored] it! Actually, the Salpica isn't bad I thought.

Never found one better than my own. All home grown vegetables including vine ripened heirloom tomatoes, gourmet garlic, sweet onions, jalapeno peppers, plus fresh herbs and cumin seeds. I'm down to 70 pints in my cellar, but the new tomato and pepper seedlings are ready to go out this week!

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Never found one better than my own. All home grown vegetables including vine ripened heirloom tomatoes, gourmet garlic, sweet onions, jalapeno peppers, plus fresh herbs and cumin seeds. I'm down to 70 pints in my cellar, but the new tomato and pepper seedlings are ready to go out this week!Tom NJ

No doubt! My wife had small garden and the salsa she makes is awesome. Not like store bought at all.

My girlfriend (she's from Mexico) makes the best salsa I've ever had. No store brand has even come close. In the summer we use fresh jalapeno peppers, onions, and tomato's from our garden. The only thing we buy from the store is garlic, tomatillos (don't grow worth a [censored] here) and cilantro.
Everybody at my work always wants me to bring gallons of it in....but I'm selfish.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Never found one better than my own. All home grown vegetables including vine ripened heirloom tomatoes, gourmet garlic, sweet onions, jalapeno peppers, plus fresh herbs and cumin seeds. I'm down to 70 pints in my cellar, but the new tomato and pepper seedlings are ready to go out this week!

Tom NJ

Vegetables will grow in NJ?

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Vegetables will grow in NJ?

Hey, the official nickname for New Joisey is "The Garden State"!
grin2.gif

Most people are only familiar with the chemical plants and refineries in the northeast section, affectionately referred to as the "arm-pit" of the state. The rest of this most densely populated state is farms, mountains, pine lands, and over 100 miles of the most beautiful beaches in the east.

Still I'd avoid it if you can!
56.gif

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back