What is your experience with Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have a 2012 Nissan Versa with about 16500 miles on it. I have been doing the OEM oil change at 3750 according to the manual. That car currently has Smitty's synthetic blend 5w-30 in it and a Puralator Pure One oil filter. I just ordered Amsoil OE 5w-30 and an Amsoil K15 oil filter. For those of you out there who use Amsoil, what do you think of it? I also bought a bottle of PI for the gas tank.

I've never used Amsoil myself, but my buddy uses it for his 1 year OCI. He rally drives his car a couple times a year and the UOAs are still good.

The only thing I would say is make sure you don't run the oil beyond the manufacturer's recommendation. Not because the Amsoil can't handle it (it can), but because your car is under warranty and you don't want to have a warranty claim denied because you extended your OCIs beyond the manufacturer's recommendations.

Not quite what you asked, yet I'd highly recommend getting rid of the Purolator oil filter, as they are getting a lot of attention for getting holes in them while in service. Purolator/Bosch/Motorcraft filters are made from the same weak specs or whatever is causing this problem.

You can't go wrong with Amsoil. Its reputation is solid. Still, I think you can get as good or better oil going with Castrol Edge Extended at Walmart or Castrol Euro 0w-30. Really any brand name synthetic has been proven.

I have never used it but you can google Amsoil and rarely will you find anything negative about them including here..Cant go wrong with it.

Don't bother. You won't be using its long oci benefits. I'd just stay with a name brand syn on sale. That's what I do. Just make sure it's 5w30. Nissan is picky about that. I've done a couple uoa's and our engine is very easy on oil and my 5000km is very easy to obtain with a name brand syn.

Outstanding! The SSO and transmission fluid is longlasting.

Pablo on the forums is a retailer and will take care of you.

Best of Luck!

If I was going through the trouble of sourcing / shipping Amsoil, I would have definitely purchased the SSO.

Their gear lubricants are A+

Amsoil is great stuff. although I'm partial to their signature series and/or the XL line. their signature series has some of the best (lowest) NOACK volatility numbers out there. (especially important for DI engines)
personally I would skip their OE line. I'd rather run a competitor's oil.

but, their XL or SS:
I have a couple friends who run long OCI's with SS 15k+ miles; which I would not do. can you find other good oils for less money? sure. Is there anything out there that is better ? probably not.

I recently had the timing cover and valve covers off my Dodge Intrepid 2.7 which is a known sludger engine. It's had Amsoil Sig series most of its life. spotless inside.

will my brand new Nissan get Amsoil? absolutely! especially in the winter - very low pour point. helps prevent piston slap that some of the Versa's had - although I believe that problem was mostly solved by the addition of piston jets in the rods. pretty sure your 2012 has those - but I dont know the whole story.

just my opinion - and while I dont use amsoil in everything that I own, I have used it for 20+ years

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
Hello everyone. I have a 2012 Nissan Versa with about 16500 miles on it. I have been doing the OEM oil change at 3750 according to the manual. That car currently has Smitty's synthetic blend 5w-30 in it and a Puralator Pure One oil filter. I just ordered Amsoil OE 5w-30 and an Amsoil K15 oil filter. For those of you out there who use Amsoil, what do you think of it? I also bought a bottle of PI for the gas tank.

Excellent choice. How and who did you buy it from?

Originally Posted By: abycat
Don't bother. You won't be using its long oci benefits. I'd just stay with a name brand syn on sale. That's what I do. Just make sure it's 5w30. Nissan is picky about that. I've done a couple uoa's and our engine is very easy on oil and my 5000km is very easy to obtain with a name brand syn.

Not sure you exactly know what you are talking about. OP chose OEF 5W-30 which is not an extended drain oil. I do hope he paid the PC price of $4.44/qt which is very easy to obtain.

Oh crud I thought it was the 25000 stuff. Sorry. I just hate it when I see people running these long drain interval oils for like 3000 miles. seems like a big waste when they do that.

I have NEVER had an issue with any Amsoil product I have purchased. I am not a dealer, I am a satisfied preferred customer.

I have used Amsoil's:

Signature Series in multiple viscosities
XL Series in multiple viscosities
OE Series in multiple Viscosities
Saber Pro 2-cycle oil at 80:1 ratio
Multiple types of greases, including for heavy equipment
Signature Series ATF
OE Series ATF
80W-90 Gear Oil
10W-40 Motorcycle Oil (relative's bike)
ASE 10W-30/SAE 30 Small Engine Formula
Ea15K filters

I'm looking to try their gasoline stabilizer, their new CVT fluid, and a relative wants to try their 20W-50 motorcycle formula.

I'm constantly impressed with their products and highly recommend them. If I were you, I'd sign up for the 6-month trial as a preferred customer and give a few of their products a try. Good luck!
smile.gif

I had a great UOA with Amsoil ASL 5W-30 in my Acura. I did notice that the Amsoil oil filter I was using at the time (the EaO20) took longer to build-up oil pressure when compared to other filters I've used on the car. The oil light would take a good 2-3 seconds to turn off, whereas it usually only takes a second. Perhaps the ADBV was a bit weak, but it didn't seem to affect anything wear-wise with the UOA. I believe they call it Signature Series oil now instead of ASL. I should note that this was during a very cold winter, where I started the car in temperatures of colder than -25F, though the oil light issue happened even when it was above freezing.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I've used their ATF in my Acura's transmission since I got it at 120k miles and it's still shifting great. I've also put it in my girlfriend's 2001 Civic, which has a trouble-prone transmission. Amsoil's ATF is second-to-none, IMO.

If you place an order, consider adding a can of heavy duty metal protector. Big can for only ~ $7. I love that stuff!

Why does Nissan spec 5W-30 for that car ? They need to get with the times.

All the other manufacturers are specifying 5W-20 and 0W-20.

I don't see how you can get any decent gas mileage with 5W-30 in there.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Nothing but good experiences with Amsoil products.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Currently running Amsoil 5W-30 OE and Amsoil OE Transmission fluid in my Accord and Vibe.

Loved the stuff,my only concern is cost. Here in Canada expect 15 dollar quarts,which I can't justify paying anymore.
Their gear oil and tranny fluid if of very high quality as well.

Contact Pablo here on the forum.

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n

Are you asking about Amsoil in general or a specific line of products?

I think you can find oil as good as Amsoil at Walmart.

But I do order Amsoil ATF and SVG (and some 4-Stroke small engine) as I feel they are a notch above what I can get locally.

The Amsoil PI is as good as Techron, but not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back