What is your experience with Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used the Amsoil 5w30 XL and the 5w30 ASL and will use Amsoil again in the future as well.
wink.gif

All of Amsoil's products are top notch. Don't blindly follow their change intervals.

Smitty's has full synth motor oils, and Purolator has synth filters.

I realize this is a motor oil thread, but I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to put in a good word for Amsoil's MTF (bottled as "Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid"). Been using it in any number of manual transmission Hondas for 15 years or more. Great stuff. Highly recommend it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The Amsoil PI is as good as Techron, but not better.

I am curious to hear of your experiences with this Amsoil product. I am thinking of trying it and am interested what your thoughts are. How did it work for you and in what application?

Hello everyone. Sorry for the delay in posting again. Thanks for the help. The reason I bought the 5w-30 OE is that Nissan specs 5w-30 for my Nissan Versa. I also went with the OE line because the car is under factory warranty. I realize using Amsoil will not void the warranty, BUT I have heard of rare cases from Amsoil Direct Jobbers where a customer was using Amsoil for extended drains while the car was under factory warranty and due to a manufactures defect in the engine.....well the car makers would blame the customer for not changing their pil based on the factory specs. Therefor, all this back and forth between customer and car maker, court costs, lawyers, etc. My car engine is known for piston slap and Nissan is not doing anything as far as I know to fix the noisy engines. That is why I picked the OE line of Amsoil and will change it at the factory 3750 mile interval while it is under warranty.

I have never tried Amsoil, but only because I dont know of anyone around me that sells it. An older Napa down the road carries it, but it isn't a very large selection.

Originally Posted By: Poohbah
If you place an order, consider adding a can of heavy duty metal protector. Big can for only ~ $7. I love that stuff!

X2 ,Good stuff it is , Working well as a under-coating as well
wink.gif

Used it for years, love their ATF but now that I no longer live near a warehouse and really do not put on many miles a year I have basically switched to the off the shelf synthetics. I never did go beyond 15,000 OCIs (UOL just did nor support it) but they are great oils, loved their 0W30 Signature Series. . IMO, just overpriced and shipping makes it even worse. Gear oils are also top notch

My experience with Amsoil...

I only feel like I'm getting what I pay for when I buy differential fluid, ATF and oil filters.

Never had a problem. I've used it off and on now for about 20 years. Been very pleased with everything I've ever bought.

The only drawback is the shipping cost. If you order in bulk or if you live close to pick up at the distributor it's much better.

Originally Posted By: Jocephus
The only drawback is the shipping cost. If you order in bulk or if you live close to pick up at the distributor it's much better.

Buying only once or twice a year is the key to keeping shipping costs low. That and grouping your purchases with a few others and then splitting the shipping.

As a sidenote, I just tried the HD Metal Protector today on my vehicles' door hinges. Much quieter and smooth. I know it can be used as motorcycle chain lube, and give. How it worked for me today, I would think it would work well.

I keep waiting for Amsoil to offer the same thing I get with my current supplier. Wholesale pricing AND free shipping. Amsoil will sell below MSRP for a preferred account, but still got shipping. Or you can get free shipping, but pay full retail. What kind of setup is that? I get the best of both worlds. Wholesale price and free shipping to my front door from Schaeffer Oil.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I keep waiting for Amsoil to offer the same thing I get with my current supplier. Wholesale pricing AND free shipping. Amsoil will sell below MSRP for a preferred account, but still got shipping. Or you can get free shipping, but pay full retail. What kind of setup is that? I get the best of both worlds. Wholesale price and free shipping to my front door from Schaeffer Oil.

With due respect, shipping is never "free". The shipping is simply included in the item's price. Somebody is paying for UPS, FedEX, or the USPS to deliver it to your door.

Case in point: I just bought all my oil filters and air filters (Wix) for the year. I added them all to my Amsoil cart online and Amazon cart online to compare. With my preferred customer account, Amsoil's final price was within about $1 of Amazon who promises "free shipping" on orders over $35. Upon closer investigation, Amazon was at least a dollar more expensive per each filter than Amsoil. I'll give you two guesses why.
wink.gif

I ordered it all through Amsoil on a Saturday, with product arrival on Tuesday. Much better than the 5-8 days window for Amazon's free shipping. Nothing is really free, it's included in the price somewhere.

I have been using Amsoil products for years in the cars/trucks/vans and also the 2 stroke Interceptor in the ski`s/boats and lawn equipment! Hands down a very good product. Preferred membership of course, but my gripe is also with shipping, the more you buy for yourself the better the savings on the product but also the increase in shipping is high. The benefit for me tho is I don`t have to leave the house/shop looking for an 0W20 for the Toyota and having it dropped shipped to my door is worth it.

I`m also using their ATF for WS toyota trans fluid, have used the severe gear lube, even in the jets pumps in ski`s and boats.
recently received another order for inventory/stock for the toyota and Nissan Frontier.

I`m not a M1 or Castrol fan boy and don`t buy their products, but I would be willing to try Pennzoil if they had 0w20 on the shelf locally...

Last edited:
A highly scientific, well documented comment:

Service manager at a shop just got a case of AMSOIL SS from me. I asked if he had used it before, in his Mercury with about 150,000 miles. Answer was yes, he had. Then he cheaped out and put in regular. On the same trip he had gotten about 26 mpg with AMSOIL, he got about 22 MPG with the other. In 10,000 miles, that would be substantial $$$ in his pocket. No, I don't know what other oil he used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back