What is your best Vitamin B Complex recommendation?

This is great and Solgar B50
I am using Signature Supplements B150 as I like to get around..and has no fillers
Screenshot_20230702-105852~2.jpg

I suggest liver and fava beans. Actually lentils rather than fava beans. And eggs, of course. Opting for the natural compound rather than a synthetic form is usually prudent. For example, Vitamin B12 comes in two forms. Cyanocobalamin is synthetic while methylcobalamin is natural. Absorption and retention and toxicity vary between natural and synthetic forms. Supplements often contain the synthetic forms of vitamins because they are more stable.

Before considering supplementation I'd have labs done to verify which one of my B levels is low.

Last edited:
The B-vitamins and vitamin C are water soluable, you will pee out anything too much, so you really do not need to have blood work done.. Take as directed on the bottle. You want a "time-released" B-complex. I use Nature's Bounty.

The B-vitamins and vitamin C are water soluable, you will pee out anything too much, so you really do not need to have blood work done.. Take as directed on the bottle. You want a "time-released" B-complex. I use Nature's Bounty.
While B vitamins are water-soluble they most certainly can cause side effects if taken in excess.

B12 can cause headaches, nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, nerve tingling, rash

B6 can cause pain, photosensitivity, and numbness, and may affect muscle coordination and can cause weakness

Excess B9 (Folate) may mask a B12 deficiency

B vitamins may also interact with other vitamins and interact with many medications including proton pump inhibitors, antibiotics, metformin, colchicine, levodopa, etc.

Citrus, eggs, avocados, beans, wheat germ, whole grains, fish, and meat contain different types of Vitamin B. To have a Vitamin B deficiency, you either have to have a horrible diet, a genetic or medical condition, or be on medications that cause B deficiency. There are eight B vitamins. Only labs can show you if you are deficient in any of them. Only targeted supplementation makes sense.

Last edited:
OK I will not spend money on B vitamins just to pee them out.

Can't have any fun anymore.

Not sure I was low on any, but was aiming for superman status and aiding my liver and helping my beta cells/insulin response.

Not sure I was low on any, but was aiming for superman status and aiding my liver and helping my beta cells/insulin response.

You don’t pee them all out, only the excess that the body cannot absorb. I believe you still get a benefit from B complex vitamins. Otherwise they wouldn’t use them in hospitals and it’s a very common additive in IV solutions.

You don’t pee them all out, only the excess that the body cannot absorb. I believe you still get a benefit from B complex vitamins. Otherwise they wouldn’t use them in hospitals and it’s a very common additive in IV solutions.
Ask the doctor for the Red Bull mainline. (y)

While B vitamins are water-soluble they most certainly can cause side effects if taken in excess.

B12 can cause headaches, nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, nerve tingling, rash

B6 can cause pain, photosensitivity, and numbness, and may affect muscle coordination and can cause weakness

Excess B9 (Folate) may mask a B12 deficiency

B vitamins may also interact with other vitamins and interact with many medications including proton pump inhibitors, antibiotics, metformin, colchicine, levodopa, etc.

Citrus, eggs, avocados, beans, wheat germ, whole grains, fish, and meat contain different types of Vitamin B. To have a Vitamin B deficiency, you either have to have a horrible diet, a genetic or medical condition, or be on medications that cause B deficiency. There are eight B vitamins. Only labs can show you if you are deficient in any of them. Only targeted supplementation makes sense.
That's why I stated "take as directed on the bottle and a time released formula.. Anything taken in excess can cause a problem.

Won’t blood work determine what you are low on and adjust diet from there ?

That's why I stated "take as directed on the bottle and a time released formula.. Anything taken in excess can cause a problem.
Just because you follow the instructions doesn't mean you can't have too much of something. Throwing supplements aimlessly at perceived or suspected deficiencies doesn't make much sense. Confirm your concerns with labs and talk to your doctor and to a nutritionist.

Just because you follow the instructions doesn't mean you can't have too much of something. Throwing supplements aimlessly at perceived or suspected deficiencies doesn't make much sense. Confirm your concerns with labs and talk to your doctor and to a nutritionist.
Whatever works for you. I don't care.

Yeah I've never had any blood test look for B vitamins. And If I asked? I doubt it.

Besides VaVa has anyone actually had their blood tested for ALL the B's? Or Any B?
I didn't say I had my B levels checked. If I had symptoms of a B deficiency or if I knew there was a lifestyle factor (B1 deficiency from drinking a lot of alcohol) or illness affecting my B levels than I would have them checked and more likely than not my doctor would order the appropriate labs without my doing. I have my D checked annually because I supplement D.

I didn't say I had my B levels checked. If I had symptoms of a B deficiency or if I knew there was a lifestyle factor (B1 deficiency from drinking a lot of alcohol) or illness affecting my B levels than I would have them checked and more likely than not my doctor would order the appropriate labs without my doing. I have my D checked annually because I supplement D.
Do most labs have the ability to do a UBA for ALL B levels, or a select few?

Back