What is wrong with us American drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be an encompassing answer to your question:

View attachment 79901
That's sort of like the picture that I use when people ask me if I am a millionaire.

JuTdBG.jpg

I have a 24 mile commute daily one way in rush hour metro atlanta traffic. Seriously, there are many horrible drivers. From just not being able to control the vehicle even in calm scenarios to not being able to pay attention. Then there's SO many cars going strangely slow in every lane but the far right one. Bizarre people doing bizarre things. Honestly, if people drove efficiently and alert, commutes would take half the time they do.

That’s what happens when you build a society and associated infrastructure that REQUIRES a car to participate.
Nonsense, there are many areas here in the Milwaukee metropolitan areas where you could easily live your life without a car. But in a greater sense the United States is a very large country in terms of land area which would be considered a blessing by many of those who live closer together in a cramped locale.

You can have it both ways here if you really look for it.

That actually looks like a traffic jam in a city, nowhere for the drivers to go. Probably backed up several blocks. The drivers 4-5 blocks up probably don't know there is an ambulance back there.
If you look at the video from Poland, it's the same situation....

Americans rarely have to jump curbs to get out of the way. Our roads have shoulders.... Or, in more urban areas, a bicycle or parking lane along the side.

I'd be mostly concerned with getting a flat tire on that Polish road. There's no safe place to stop for long distances.

Only about 25% of the roads I drive on my 25 mile commute to work here in PA have a usable shoulder...otherwise there might be 12 inches of space. When emergency vehicles come through, it is just like the video from Poland. We stop, get over as far as we can, and the emergency vehicle slowly threads through traffic as best as it can.

This is a pretty insulting question, actually.
OP, a new member, posts something that reads like it was washed through a translator, says something about 'us' (wink, nudge) American drivers being slow-witted and dumb, says something flattering about Polish drivers, says something disparaging about women drivers in general, says something disparaging about American drivers again, posts vid of said Polish drivers.

No, it was a pretty spot-on question, actually.

If you think American drivers are bad at getting out of the way, you haven't seen drivers in the Middle East. Not only will they not get out of the way, but any emergency vehicle will have a dozen cars tailing it as a means to get through traffic.

If you look at the video from Poland, it's the same situation....
No, the majority of the traffic is on a bridge, only 2 lanes with room to move over, the city streets were devoid of traffic especially from 3;38 on. Minmal traffic. Not ever close to the same scenario.

Nonsense, there are many areas here in the Milwaukee metropolitan areas where you could easily live your life without a car. But in a greater sense the United States is a very large country in terms of land area which would be considered a blessing by many of those who live closer together in a cramped locale.

You can have it both ways here if you really look for it.
The US is incredibly large - and outside of a few large urban centers (and limited even within those) it has built Universally car-centric infrastructure.

My point is that when you make cars the only real choice for transportation people are absolutely going to consider it a right. And thus you get all sorts of folks with varying levels of talent, will, and experience on the roads because it’s their only option.

People have been complaining about “x city/state” drivers for as long as there have been cars.

There are ever more cars and people on the road and induced demand ensures that ever expanding roadway infrastructure won’t alleviate that. Now you just get to interact with more people every day with more chances to encounter terrible drivers.

As for the pandemic. Fewer vehicles on the road meant higher average speeds which correlates with increased accidents and fatalities. Behavior doesn’t have to have changed to get different results.

Not that hard to understand.

It’s another symptom of a lack of parental activity in their children lives. My dad was very strict in my training, as I was with my kids. I know people who faked the driving logs so their kids could pass drivers education because they were too lazy to properly train them

My daughter is 16 and I have not let her get her license yet because she is not ready

Lastly, people are lost in a virtual world and are too addicted to it to put it down and do focused activity, like driving.

That's sort of like the picture that I use when people ask me if I am a millionaire.

JuTdBG.jpg
OP, a new member, posts something that reads like it was washed through a translator, says something about 'us' (wink, nudge) American drivers being slow-witted and dumb, says something flattering about Polish drivers, says something disparaging about women drivers in general, says something disparaging about American drivers again, posts vid of said Polish drivers.

No, it was a pretty spot-on question, actually.
PXL_20211203_195015602.jpg

No, the majority of the traffic is on a bridge, only 2 lanes with room to move over, the city streets were devoid of traffic especially from 3;38 on. Minmal traffic. Not ever close to the same scenario.

Whatever, let's take the portion up to 3:38. 2 lanes one way. Both packed with cars, no emergency lanes on either side, uncrossable median - yet the ambulance gets though. In NY video there are a lot more lanes and no barrier between opposing sides.

Its inattentive people engrossed in their phones, driving vehicles that are way better soundproofed than previously. The vast majority of folks will make an effort to yield. Unfortunately it only takes a few that arent to mess up an intersection.
I drove everything from Engines to Aerials to Freightliner ambulances to utility apparatus for 25 yrs, been there, seen that.
Americans by in large are very good at getting out of the way of emergency vehicles. The biggest issue, imo, is the lack of lane discipli

Whatever, let's take the portion up to 3:38. 2 lanes one way. Both packed with cars, no emergency lanes on either side, uncrossable median - yet the ambulance gets though. In NY video there are a lot more lanes and no barrier between opposing sides.
No in fact , not the same. the entire right hand lane was open, before the ambulance got there, still not the density of traffic.

And a 3:37 the green car foolishly pulls into the clean lane in front of the emergency vehicle, blocking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back