What is this stuff?--Rislone Winter Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
See link: http://www.rislone.com/winter.htm

I bought and used some of this, but now am thinking it is a waste of money, because at best it is basic sythetic, perhaps with a slug of extra pour point depressants. So with a good group II oil like Valvoline Maxlife that has some synthetic (12-22%) it seems you already have the "winter start" condition and if so desired, likely could do as well as the Rislone product, by adding a half quart of Valvoline Syntec oil to top up.

A friend of mine had a bunch of this stuff lying around (old) and put it in for kicks in his `87 BMW 353i. Couple days later, the engine would shake violently at highway speeds (over 65mph)...very weird, but he attributed it to this because he immediately replaced the oil and things were back to normal. He threw the rest of his stock out.

I am NO expert on oil, but I read the MSDS and it states this:

quote:

Polymethacrylate 31346-57-3 Not Established 10-15
Copolymer

I think this might be Viscosity Index Improver (judging by the name) and it composes about 10-15% of this additive by weight.
I'm assuming this is what would make the oil flow "better" in winter condition. It could pose some problems though because you are adding even more VII to your oil.
My .02 centavos
Rick

Polymethacrylate (PMA) — PMA viscosity modifiers contain alkyl side chains that interfere with the formation of wax crystals in the oil, thereby providing excellent low-temperature properties.
Olefin Copolymer (OCP) — OCP viscosity modifiers are widely used for motor oils due to their low cost and satisfactory engine performance. Various OCPs are on the market, differing mainly in molecular weight and the ratio of ethylene to propylene

The CST is 16. This is close to a 40wt oil with, I'm guessing, a good dose of pour point depressant.

Its probably no worse than the new so-called winter blends.

I don't see how this could cause ANY problems when use by the recommended amount.

I also never add stuff to my engine for kicks. Tell your friend to use sand next time.

This product sounds like a solution in search of a problem. Engine cleaning additives, be they AutoRX or cheaper solvents like Gunk, Marvel Mystery Oil, etc., serve a purpose in that they perform some amount of removal of sludge/varnish and may quiet sticking lifters and the like. Since some engines have particular trouble with sludging/varnishing, and some people prefer extended drain intervals, these products make sense.

This Rislone "winter" product only makes sense if Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil, etc., were somehow incapable of formulating an oil brand or oil weight which sufficiently lubes and protects in cold climates. Since this is clearly not the case, the product is a solution in search of a non-existant problem. With the exception of short term engine desludging/devarnishing, I'd leave the oil formulation to the oil firms.

Pour point depressants, eh? As I sort of suspected. So would this maybe turn a 10w30 into a 5w30? At any rate, I should probably unload these two pints on E-bay
grin.gif
. I suppose it might be useful if, say I had to take a trip up to Marquette Michigan. I could top up with this to get me through the sub zero temps up there (it's in the upper peninsula, BTW). But I am more and more of the mind to fill the crankcase with one brand and grade and periodically top up with the same. Thanks.

Most oil companies don't publish their oils' Borderline Pumping Temperatures, but Pennzoil does. Their 5w-20 and 5w-30, for example, have a borderline pump temp of -35F. In short, this oil should provide sufficient flow and pumping pressure down to -35F. By definition, with spec's such as this, I'm at a loss as to the benefits of a product such as Rislone Winter Start. (One potential benefit would be since oils' Pour Points steadily degrade in cold climates, the Rislone product could help counteract this. But a more logical solution would be to simply shorten oil change intervals in winter.)

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Nice blue bottle!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
And with Rislone Engine Treatment: Nice blue-green oil! And as I am moving away from these products, I am also leary of a product like Royal Purple with it's nice (or actually not so nice looking) purple oil.

Need to start an engine in Minnesota cold-use something like Mobil 1. Probably flows at least as good as conventional oil with this Rislone stuff mixed in it.

And...!

quote:

While you pay more for (Rislone) Winter Start than for a quart of oil, you are really saving money compared to what it could cost for a service call when your car won’t start.

wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back