What Is This Black Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe I just saw this to the point of noticing it to the point of wondering what it is? It's on the windshield of my 2005 LS430.

[Linked Image]

Probably the ambient light sensor for the auto headlights and potentially sensor for auto high beams (if equipped). I know on my Jeep and RAM that there is also a sensor there as part of the FCW system but I'm not sure how far back that trend goes
21.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
How long have you owned this car?

Owners manual would be a good place to start.

I've owned it for about 6 years. I just noticed it tonight as I went out to check my oil level after my changing it.

I'll go back and check my owners manual.

Yes, it is the rain sensor. It is amazing what you can find in your owners manual. I always wondered what the "Automatic" setting was on my wiper stick. Now I know.

Thanks Pim Tac
thumbsup2.gif

It could be for a variety of features, some of those vehicles came equipped with distance pacing cruise control. Do you know if your model has that feature?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by sloinker
This users content has been blocked.

Why?

I thought it was just me!

Since there is frit around it, it's definitely factory. Probably an antenna, like GPS or SiriusXM, or possibly a sensor for rain sensing wipers.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
It is the GPS module used by the government so they can watch you.
27.gif

Lol. The truth is it's the radar that they use to control your mind. It's in the owner's manual.

LOL

You guys know it's an anti wave replicator headlight motivator that automatically adjusts my rear view mirror based on on coming and rear coming cars.

Anyways, my ancient ‘98 LS400 has that windshield rain drop feature as well but it ain't got no black box on the windshield. 🤔
Technology is a wonderful thing.

Originally Posted by R1jake
A post like that will get you blocked around here?? Wow

Ha! The things that can get you on the naughty list here are quite shocking. I have friends that know all too well...

Originally Posted by Gebo
LOL

You guys know it's an anti wave replicator headlight motivator that automatically adjusts my rear view mirror based on on coming and rear coming cars.

Anyways, my ancient ‘98 LS400 has that windshield rain drop feature as well but it ain't got no black box on the windshield. 🤔
Technology is a wonderful thing.

Yeah, my M5 apparently bounced waves off the windshield (no box) to determine if it was wet
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back