What Is the Perfect Oil Viscosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

Their is no perfect single viscosity.

Sure there is!! You just need a V1 of about 1100. What's so hard about that?
dunno.gif

How about 92% Esterex NP396 and 8% SuperSyn 2150 which gets you 58.4 cSt @40°/11.7 cSt @100° with a VI of 200?
 -

"Cool. If you talk to him again, please ask him to please not screw up the current version. It's one of my favorites for certain applications."

I actually asked that they leave the current version alone as I know people who like it that way, including me to an extent. Dave said it was unlikely they will have two versions of the "same" oil.

aehaas

[ March 02, 2005, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: AEHaas ]

quote:

Given the requirements in the topic post, I'd say RedLine 5w20, given it's published specs.

6.1 cSt @120°C
3.9 cSt @150°C
HTHS 3.3

I actually keep looking at this oil as a possible panacea.

aehaas

All hydrocarbons freeze slowly and gradually, so any hydrocarbon-based oil will inherently thicken as it cools and thin as it warms. This isn't a bad thing since clearances are high when an engine is cold, and a thicker oil is needed.

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
I actually asked that they leave the current version alone as I know people who like it that way, including me to an extent. Dave said it was unlikely they will have two versions of the "same" oil.

aehaas

Then you may want to consider Synergyn 0w20 . Search the VOA/UOA sections for additional info.

quote:

Originally posted by Curious Kid:
The costs could be reasoned aside by the benefits, say very extended OCI.

My guess is, at least with today's automotive oil technology, an oil that exhibited the attributes that AEHass listed would probably need to be changed every 100 miles! As in, you could create the substance to lubricate on a bench (like heat it up, cool it down, etc) but subject it to the inside of an ICE, and it degrades to sludge in 100 miles. That's, of course, using today's technology.

I also don't think 5cSt is ideal at all. I think something at least 10 if not closer to 20 would be better for the uni-viscosity.

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:
Given the requirements in the topic post, I'd say RedLine 5w20, given it's published specs.

6.1 cSt @120°C
3.9 cSt @150°C
HTHS 3.3

I keep seeing people reference high HT/HS of Redline oils with lower 100° viscosities than the competition. I am pretty sure I read right on this forum that Redline uses a different standard than most other companies to calculate their HT/HS spec!

quote:

Originally posted by kevm14:

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

6.1 cSt @120°C
3.9 cSt @150°C
HTHS 3.3

I keep seeing people reference high HT/HS of Redline oils with lower 100° viscosities than the competition. I am pretty sure I read right on this forum that Redline uses a different standard than most other companies to calculate their HT/HS spec!

According to MolaKule in this thread, that is not the case.

However, we see in this thread, that published values can vary.

My conclusion is, RedLine's 5w20 has one of the highest HTHS values of commonly obtainable 5w20s. If you want to pick on an oil's measured HTHS value, looks like GC is a better candidate.

Guys, I brought some old 15W40 and 20W50 UOA back to the top of UOA section! I only picked applications were the OEM recomended 5W20 or 5W30! Anyone can type in 15W40 into the search function under UOA and see what I say as well! TO my delight I did nto see any signs of cavitation or oil starvation!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Guys, I brought some old 15W40 and 20W50 UOA back to the top of UOA section! I only picked applications were the OEM recomended 5W20 or 5W30! Anyone can type in 15W40 into the search function under UOA and see what I say as well! TO my delight I did nto see any signs of cavitation or oil starvation!

John, then why are you running that "water thin" 0w30 in your Camry? Just kiddin'
grin.gif

Numer wise, the perfect oil is one with a lowest startup viscosity and a normal full temp viscosity needed for any specific engine.

Fastest flow on startup and perfect protect at full temperature.

427Z06, I ran the M1R 0W30 to be open minded and test it in my application.I figured I should not knock it until I had tried it! I always try to set my bias aside as much as possable! Even when I can not seperate my bias I try to remain fair and ballanced!

I also figured that if I was going to heckle(sp) Patman for not trying a Delvac-1 5W40 or M1 15W50 I should at least try a 0W30!

I should have the UOA back soon on my 0W30 run. It is going to have a lot fewer miles onit then I would normaly drive due to a drastic change in driveing habits! So my next UOA will be markedly different in terms of millage and driveing cycle!

Blackstone told me I would have my UOA report emailed to me on Monday and here it is Wensday and still no report!

If say, starting tomorrow, oils only came in one viscosity that was independent of temperature and shear, what viscosity would you choose?

It is a simple question. You get to choose yourself. What would you choose?

What would you choose if the choices were 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 15, 20 , 30, 50, 100 centistokes? This is not a trick question. A person with oil knowledge would be able to pick one. I choose 5 cS.

Let us say that whatever you picked you would have to stick with in all your cars / light trucks for the next 3 years. What would you pick? Sure, some are better for each application but what would YOU choose for YOU?

aehaas

quote:

Originally posted by AEHaas:
If say, starting tomorrow, oils only came in one viscosity that was independent of temperature and shear, what viscosity would you choose?

It is a simple question. You get to choose yourself. What would you choose?

What would you choose if the choices were 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 15, 20 , 30, 50, 100 centistokes? This is not a trick question. A person with oil knowledge would be able to pick one. I choose 5 cS.

Let us say that whatever you picked you would have to stick with in all your cars / light trucks for the next 3 years. What would you pick? Sure, some are better for each application but what would YOU choose for YOU?

aehaas

8.14159265358979323846 cSt
3.71828182845904523560 HTHS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back