What Is The Most Secure Browser?Firefox Or Google

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had some hackers trying to get into my P.C. from outside and i was looking for a more secure Browser i was told internet explorer is not safe. How about Firefox or Google or is there something more secure. I am not the smartest when it comes to computers.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have had some hackers trying to get into my P.C. from outside

Through a web browser???

I would start with a proper anti-virus/anti-malware solution first.

Give me all your ideas...Im lost with this stuff.. I was told that with Google there is less privacy and they sell your information but firefox does not. I am using avast/free and malwarebytes also free i was thinking of getting a paid version but everyone says i should not.. My shop p.c. has customer credit cards and other information that i want to keep safe. i also do some light banking online.

Last edited:
Firefox with NoScript, AdBlock etc should be safe I'd think.
Like Pete said, Also get some A/V software Like Avast-Free combined with Malwarebytes and ccleaner perhaps.
Is your Internet connection / router secured and password protected?

IE released a patch in the last week, for its issue that was broadcasted everywhere. They even patched IE8.

IMO IE is still the most secure, however if not using a front running software, like Malwarebytes, a good fire wall, a browser alone wont save you. Also set up a TPL, tracking protection list, if IE 9 or higher.

Heard this topic discussed on a consumer radio show and they said Internet Explorer was the least secure browser. The most secure browser was by far Google Chrome. They went as far as saying not to do banking or bill paying on IE. Though Google may collect information and even sell info they are not going to hack in or give info leading to ID theft.

Scott

Last edited:
Give me all your ideas...Im lost with this stuff.. I was told that with Google there is less privacy and they sell your information but firefox does not. I am using avast/free and malwarebytes also free i was thinking of getting a paid version but everyone says i should not.. My shop p.c. has customer credit cards and other information that i want to keep safe. i also do some light banking online.

the free version doesn't give active blocking, it only works when you run a scan after the fact. The pro version stops most ahead of time, before its on your system.

I use Google Chrome with AdBlock Plus, MalwareBytes Pro, Kaspersky A/V and feel very secure.

I'd go with a WebKit based browser (Chrome/Safari/Opera) or Firefox.

Is this the malwarebytes or avast you are talking about?

probably MWB. Avast Free does active blocking.

I'd say Google Chrome, and also Opera which now runs on the chrome platform, I use Opera and feel very confident that it is one of the most secure, of course I am careful when I surf, and use
Security software, MSE, yes, I know it isn't the best, but I feel that my cautious behavior means that I don't need the very best security suite.

Then don't use that computer for web browsing at all. Buy a second computer. They're not that expensive.

Both browsers are only as safe as the person using them. Having all the security software in the world is useless if the end user is not willing to exercise common sense. It's just like driving a car. What good is it to purchase a vehicle with 20 air bags and a 5-star safety rating if you're just going to deliberately crash it into tree at 100 mph?

Anyway, to answer your question, Chrome and Firefox are about equal when it comes to default security. Choose the one you find easiest to use, and that works best with your favorite websites. Chrome by the way does not phone home with your browsing activities by default. You have to either sign into the browser using a Google account, or enable certain advanced features that further integrate Google into your browsing experience.

One last piece of advice, keep the work PC strictly for work. Bring a laptop or tablet for leisure browsing. If the work computer contains confidential information, it needs be properly encrypted to protect your customers.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I have had some hackers trying to get into my P.C. from outside

Through a web browser???

I would start with a proper anti-virus/anti-malware solution first.

I second Pete's notion; did someone literally try and hack into your computer? If so, no web browser on Earth will stop that as it's not even going through the browser! You need to have Windows firewall turned on and configured properly to block basic network intrusions.

Now, if you mean you went to some malware websites that tried breaking through your browser, then you should be focusing on web security like antivirus etc. You'd have to go to some targeted nasty websites to get a serious infection on a fully patched machine with any of the latest browsers. They all have malware site blocking built in and it's very good; Google and Firefox use Google Safebrowsing. You also have to make sure plugins are always up to date and make sure Java is set to run only at your request because it is a big target for malware writers.

Originally Posted By: boulderdentist
Heard this topic discussed on a consumer radio show and they said Internet Explorer was the least secure browser. The most secure browser was by far Google Chrome. They went as far as saying not to do banking or bill paying on IE. Though Google may collect information and even sell info they are not going to hack in or give info leading to ID theft.

Scott

That is [censored] information. You will be perfectly safe using IE to do banking etc. In fact, IE11 consistently scores as the most secure browser in many tests. IE has built in malware site blocking that is very good; I've tested it. IE/Firefox/Google Chrome all cross share malware site hosting IPs and cross collaborate with the malware domains list. If you're not trying to go to the darkest corners of the internet where the most current malware technology is hosted and targeted attacks occur, you're not going to get infected, hacked etc.

To clarify, Chrome is secure, but you give up some privacy if you establish a gmail account, and log on.

You can easily go into private browsing mode by typing ctrl-shift-n to start a "sterile" browser. I am a web developer, and do that all the time to test with a clean set of cookies.

You get this message:

You've gone incognito. Pages you view in incognito tabs won't stick around in your browser's history, cookie store, or search history after you've closed all of your incognito tabs. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be kept.

However, you aren't invisible. Going incognito doesn't hide your browsing from your employer, your internet service provider, or the websites you visit.

Learn more about incognito browsing.
Because Google Chrome does not control how extensions handle your personal data, all extensions have been disabled for incognito windows. You can reenable them individually in the extensions manag
er.

Read safest is open source like FireFox and for banking do a virtual machine with it and only use it for banking. Got all necessary blocking add ext for FF.

I switched from Chrome after reading the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back