What is the Highest API Rating a Conventional Oil Can Have?

Can a truly conventional oil have an API Rating of SN? SP?

Is there a point going up the API "ladder" where everything about that level is synthetic?

Yes. but define conventional.
The lines are very blurred.

What grade are you talking about?

not too many conventional 5w40's
might be some sae 30 API SP etc.

Whatever conventional does, synthetic does better. aThat's why you don't find much conventional anymore.
"conventional" generally holds contaminants in suspension better than synthetic.

Of course "better" is always subjective. Maybe holding contaminants in suspension is actually worse? Depends I suppose.

I was thinking along the lines of slacktide_bitog. Ok, let me give you the reason I am asking for those that want to know.

I was considering to try some Toyota 5W-30 at $3/qt and do all my OCI's at 3K. It is rated an SN. So I am "wandering"
is it a "conventional" or a "semi-synthetic"? Maybe someone knows which "Mobil" it is???

It does seem odd if what MrCoyote says is true. How could a true dino get an API of SP? Apparently, Pennzoil Yellow bottle is SN+

IF nothing else, I can learn more useless information....;)

Can a truly conventional oil have an API Rating of SN? SP?

Is there a point going up the API "ladder" where everything about that level is synthetic?
Sure, when the required or desired viscosity index can no longer be obtained, or saturates are too high to provide adequate oxidation and sludge resistance.

I wouldn't worry about synthetic, blend, or conventional. Worry about the oil's performance!

The point going up is to protect your engine, up to a certain level. SP seems to require more of that moly, titanium, boron..... in whatever ratio the blender chooses to pass their timing chain tests..... Can't say it isn't helping the rest of the engine too for those without the chain complexity.

The latest API/Ilsac spec's are SP and GF6. There is no point in using an inferior oil because you want to use 'conventional'. I would NOT even consider wasting money on new 'SN' oil when there are plenty of 'SP' oils to pick from. Toyota branded oil will catch up eventually.

Eventually, you will see API crawl, ever slowly, to a full synthetic oil. Automakers are already there with some of their oil requirements or 'grades'. Not too many Dexos, HTO06, or 504/507, or 0w16, 0w20, 0w30, 0w40, certain HTHS, better NOACK, .... in conventional oils.

Synthetics were considered 'expensive' to too many consumers. Marketing seemed to be afraid of the word 'synthetic' as a requirement for the typical cheap consumers, especially in the US. Its easier to avoid that word and just come out with a more demanding spec. And, doesn't help that all the whiners complained about all the leaks caused by 'synthetic oil', or hogwash of not breaking in properly, or.... Bad reputations are hard to shake, especially when overhyped by the clueless.

I don't use synthetic oil. I use a Dexos oil in one car, a 5w40 in another, a 5w30 with 3.5+ HTHS, and an oil with a NOACK of <10%..... But, guess what, they are all synthetic. And, if the majority need a 'blend' to meet an API SP license, then its a good start.

Sure, when the required or desired viscosity index can no longer be obtained, or saturates are too high to provide adequate oxidation and sludge resistance.
I should have been more specific. I am speaking of the current API ladder.

Conventional can be group 2. And there are tons of pure group 2 oils that can meet the SP rating. Usually the 10w-30 kind like Chevron supreme. It's only the 5w-20 and 30 that advertise syn blend. Same with havoline. They have sp oils that are non syn blend but in the higher w rating type too.

Conventional can be group 2. And there are tons of pure group 2 oils that can meet the SP rating. Usually the 10w-30 kind like Chevron supreme. It's only the 5w-20 and 30 that advertise syn blend. Same with havoline. They have sp oils that are non syn blend but in the higher w rating type too.
WOW! Did not know that. Thanks!

"conventional" generally holds contaminants in suspension better than synthetic.

Of course "better" is always subjective. Maybe holding contaminants in suspension is actually worse? Depends I suppose.
I think you are confusing conventional (Group II, Group I) bases having better solvency, at the expense of lower oxidation resistance and propensity to breakdown. Holding contaminants in suspension is a function of the additive package, the dispersants and detergents, which prevent them from agglomerating (dispersants) and keep them in suspension (detergents) so that they can make their way to the filter, where, if they are large enough, they'll be captured.

Reactions: 4WD
Back