What is the darkest virgin synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound like a stupid question, but it seems that nearly all synthetics perform well so it is difficult to choose. My MS3 has a very difficult dipstick to read and having a darker oil might make it easier to see. I can't run Royal Purple or Redline because of the SM warranty requirement. I remember Castrol Syntec being almost perfectly clear when I ran it in my Tundra. I'm looking at 5w-30 oils.

Right after an oil change it IS hard to see the oil on the stick - I use cheater glasses to help but in the end I always wind up putting the dipstick in the light and look for the "wetness" on the stick to gauge where the level is.

It is powerful nice of BMW to elimimate the dipstick and remove the stress of visual oil level checking!!!!

Technology does indeed march on!!

Cheers! DV

It seems that the Mazdaspeed 3 and standard Mazda 3 have a very poorly designed dipstick. They seem to read low then full and even after pulling my last night about 6 times I could never get a clear line. My Turnda with Castrol Syntec was difficult to see because of the clear oil, but this one just seems to be a mess.

Maybe there's a market for oil dye? I know they have scent for two cycle oils?

Notice that stick that have a tiny hole in them at the full mark are easy to read. A web of oil sort of clings into the hole for a quick, go no-go check. maybe drill a hole?

It's got holes, it just seems about impossible to pull the dipstick without it coming out looking like the engine was still running. The other night I was able to see where the actual oil line was rather than the "splash".

Quote:

What is the darkest virgin synthetic oil?

From my personal experience, I'd say ...Bruceblend®. The 0w-10 he sent me put any 15w-40 HDEO to shame. Chuck full of vitamins and minerals. If you could drink the stuff ...it would be a very yellow morning.
grin.gif

j/k

Synlube(lube4life), Marly(blackgold),...have graphite motor oils. I would think that you could add a few ounces to color the motor oil a little.

Or, add a few ounces of Krex, Marly, Acheson, or some other graphite loaded oil additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back