What is The Composition of OEM CV Joint Grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the standard type of grease is used for OEM Drive axles for passenger cars like a Nissan Maxima?

I've gotten varying opinions on what it is. Some say it's a Moly Based. One said Moly Based with Calcium. A Grease manufacturer said the OEM standard is a Polyurea based.

Half the time you can't even buy just the grease from dealerships. It just comes in a little pack with the CV boots. They also use different types of grease for inboard (normally Tripod joints) and outboard (normally fixed 6-ball Rezeppa style joint). It is my understanding that you don't need (want?) moly in a tripod joint while it is needed in a Rezeppa. Moly is not a base for the grease but an EP additive. Calcium, Polyurea, etc. are thickeners. You might want to try contacting a supplier like GKN to ask the question.

Most factory service manuals will hint at the grease recommendation. Then, all you need to do is find a suitable equivalent.

Neo, CRC-Stalube, Lubromoly, Slipkote..... make cv-greases. Your local autoparts still will usually stock a tube or can.

I've seen German-made Meiserschmitt grease with lithium soap, moly and LEAD.

The only automakers that supply CV grease separately from what I've see is Ford, Honda, Mercedes and VW.

Originally Posted By: 1993_VG30E_GXE
A Grease manufacturer said the OEM standard is a Polyurea based.

That’s right now, especially for Tripod type of CV. This is mineral oil + polyurea thickener without Moly for both of CV (Inner & Outer).

1993_VG30E_GXE, but, if you have a sport-car like Porsche, you need the Polyurea based CVJ grease with Moly for outer CV.

Konst I've confirmed something. I had to cut the axle off my Maxima tonight to drop the tranny and remove the engine, and the outer boot has a black clayish almost watery (maybe from rain water attacking it though because the outer boot was ripped open) type of grease. The inner boot has a milky color light brown grease that is of similar consistency (boot was not ripped).

The black stuff in the outer boot is EXTREMELY hard to get off my nitrile gloves when it gets on. It's like clay.

Do you suspect one is Moly and one isn't? Why the different colors.

Last edited:
I worked in a plant thad made Halfshafts as they were called. All of the GM, Toyota, Chrystler, Hundi and several others got Teflon based grease. I don't remember the name or composition and cannot get it now since I am retired.

All of the brands got the same grease.
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back