What is the best cheap oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by timzak:
I like how you round the cost of your synthetic down to $4 (occasional sale price) but conveniently keep the conventional stuck at $2 (standard retail).

~$4 for Mobil 1 and ~$2 for Mobil Drive Clean at my local Pep Boys. That's what it costs.

I'm amazed the EPA lets car makers get away with that "1 quart of oil/1000 miles is okay" deal. Surely oil dropping out the bottom of a car (or evaporating into the air) can't be good for the environment.

REVISED FOR $1 PER QUART:
Natural 15,000 miles:
$1/qt * 4qts * 5 changes (once per 3000) = $20
+ $20 per JiffyLube or Dealer visit = $120 TOTAL

Synthetic 15,000 miles:
$4/qt * 4qts * 2 changes (once per 7500) = $32
+ $20 per JiffyLube or Dealer visit = $72 TOTAL

Even if I use the cheap $1 crapola oil, the synthetic still looks a lot better for my wallet.

I honestly think that the new havoline (or chevron supreme)(not equillon) is the best low cost oil you can buy, I've consistantly seen it on sale at various places (RiteAid, Shucks, Kragen) for .99 a quart, I think it's a good 3,000 mile oil at a great price.

"Natural 15,000 miles:
$1/qt * 4qts * 5 changes (once per 3000) = $20
+ $20 per JiffyLube or Dealer visit = $120 TOTAL

Synthetic 15,000 miles:
$4/qt * 4qts * 2 changes (once per 7500) = $32
+ $20 per JiffyLube or Dealer visit = $72 TOTAL"

Ah, I see now. You're factoring in the cost for *someone else* to change your oil. In that case, it looks like you are saving money going the synthetic route.

I do my own oil changes, so conventional is more cost-effective for me, since I'm paying only for the oil (and filter) and not for the labor.

Cheers!
cheers.gif

I forgot to mention the Mobil Delvac 1300 oil, it's SL rated so you can use it in gas engines, it's 5.88 at wallmart (4 quart jug) and I bet you could extend your drain interval which makes it even a better buy.

Advance has ChevonTexaco Havoline for $1.18/qt. this week, including 5w20. It meets the Ford 5w20 spec and a call to the tech. line confirms there is moly in the 5w20!
fruit.gif

Keith 1 qt per 1000 miles is insane. It is a standard used by the Domestic auto industry to keep warranty cost down. If they replaced every engine that that burnt 1 qt. per 1000 miles that was under warranty GM and Ford would go out of business. The same is true of the 6 psi of oil pressure at idle or 1000 rpms. This is not what the engine was designed to perform best at but that is what the manufacture has set as limit for warranty work. The cadilac Northstar is a prime example of this. 70% of the cadilacs eat oil like crazy. I have traveled across the country too many times to know that I do not and should not need 10 quarts of oil to drive from Ga. to Tx.! If you use more then 1 qt. per 3000 miles with dino oil you have some serious wear issues or really bad oil in the car!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
Keith 1 qt per 1000 miles is insane.

When I worked for Acura back the late 80's, 1qt per 1000 miles was spec for the Integras. People always complained about it but Honda stated it was normal.

Last night at the grocery store, saw "Best Choice" 10W-30 with doughnut, at .65 per quart. Best Choice......wow. Freaked me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back