What is "Plan B" if I can't get Amsoil Z-Rod for My 1990 Corvette ZR-1.

And, sadly, the A40 approved Mobil 1 0W-40 isn’t widely available around here. The many joys of living in Canada.

Where in Canada are you? Canadian Tire and Part Source have M1 0W-40. Castrol Edge 5W-40 is on sale at Canadian Tire for $34.99 5L. It's A40 approved.

The flat valve lifters, cams, chains and sprockets of the LT5 were designed with SG oil and its high ZDDP levels in mind. The gurus of the LT5 community always specify a high ZDDP oil for these cars.
Keep in mind, not all SG-era oils had higher levels of AW additives, it depended on the oil, the levels of phosphorous just weren't capped like they later were under SM. That's why many of the Euro xW-30's didn't go past SL if they kept the API approval at all.

Sounds like you are now more comfortable with my Euro lube suggestion. M1 FS 0w-40 has been my go-to, but Castrol Edge 0w-40 (also available at Canadian Tire, Parts Source, Walmart...etc) is another A40 option.

My 1990 Corvette ZR-1 with the Lotus designed LT5 will be going in for some servicing the first of next week, and I won't be able to get my usual Amsoil Z-Rod 10W-30 by then. The LT5 wants its high ZDDP levels, so standard oils in the 800-900 range won't work.

Liqui Moly MoS2 Anti-Friction 10W-40 has been recommended as a viable option, but I'm not that familiar with it. Seems the ZDDP levels are good in it.
ZDDP gets used up, so an oil with a few hard weeks of romping on it may likely have an equivalent % of available ZDDP as any of the new ILSAC GF6A lubricants. So replensishment may be in order depending on usage. This can come in the form of flat tappet cam break in lube supplement available from most speed shops or cam manufacturers. In your instance the phosphorous compound is helping with over TDC piston side-thrust at WOT / mid rpm. With the DOHC SUB valvetrain on this cammer chevy, moly and other modern FM would be likely more of benefit than ZDDP. And just as an additional mental note: modern oils are certified using a similar NISSAN DOHC SUB head.

Don't go near any Liqui-Moly MoS2 suppliments it has NO PLACE in a modern engine with high efficiency full-flow filtration

The Suggestion of high certification and approval Mobil 1 0W40 or its Shell or Castrol or XX brand equivalent available off the shelf of many autocare outlets is a viable one in you situation.

- Ken

ZDDP gets used up, so an oil with a few hard weeks of romping on it may likely have an equivalent % of available ZDDP as any of the new ILSAC GF6A lubricants. So replensishment may be in order depending on usage. This can come in the form of flat tappet cam break in lube supplement available from most speed shops or cam manufacturers. In your instance the phosphorous compound is helping with over TDC piston side-thrust at WOT / mid rpm. With the DOHC SUB valvetrain on this cammer chevy, moly and other modern FM would be likely more of benefit than ZDDP. And just as an additional mental note: modern oils are certified using a similar NISSAN DOHC SUB head.

Don't go near any Liqui-Moly MoS2 suppliments it has NO PLACE in a modern engine with high efficiency full-flow filtration

The Suggestion of high certification and approval Mobil 1 0W40 or its Shell or Castrol or XX brand equivalent available off the shelf of many autocare outlets is a viable one in you situation.

- Ken
Good post. Thanks.

To clarify a few things, I wasn’t looking at any oil supplements. The Liqui-Moly I asked about was the oil, not their supplement.

‘Also. The LT5 is not a modern engine. It’s an 80s Vintage design. My 2019 Ford Coyote is a very different beast. It’s a better engine in every way, more economical, smaller, 100 more hp, yet it lacks the character of the big LT5 beast.

Good post. Thanks.

To clarify a few things, I wasn’t looking at any oil supplements. The Liqui-Moly I asked about was the oil, not their supplement.

‘Also. The LT5 is not a modern engine. It’s an 80s Vintage design. My 2019 Ford Coyote is a very different beast. It’s a better engine in every way, more economical, smaller, 100 more hp, yet it lacks the character of the big LT5 beast.
The LM oil you asked about has their MOS2 additive already mixed in. I would refrain from using that particular oil in your Corvette.

It might be better than adding the additive separate, but members here have provided pictures of the additive falling out of suspension and remaining in the oil pan (like sludge).

The LM oil you asked about has their MOS2 additive already mixed in. I would refrain from using that particular oil in your Corvette.

It might be better than adding the additive separate, but members here have provided pictures of the additive falling out of suspension and remaining in the oil pan (like sludge).
Good information. Thanks!

And, sadly, the A40 approved Mobil 1 0W-40 isn’t widely available around here. The many joys of living in Canada.

I think someone said it is but if he makes it to New York it's widely available for less than $25 USD, and he might be able to use a rebate after tomorrow if he has a residence or relatives here...

One more question, can OP get oil shipped by Amazon or is that cost-prohibitive? Do they not offer free shipping on orders above a certain dollar amount? Or is that not the case in OP's market

Back