What is it you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a manual and a sunroof and sporty handling. I'll keep it forever unless something happens to it or it turns out to be a POS.

In the rustbelt, I think getting 10-12 years out of a vehicle is good. Rust, electrical shorts, leaks, broken pieces will render a car 'junk' in most people's eye's at that point. However many miles you get out in that frame, is what you get.

I tend to buy cars when then are 4-6 years old, and keep them for about 5 years. The highest mileage I got to was just shy of 200k on my Tribute, but it cost a fortune to get there.

I really, really like the Soul we have now, so my 'plan' is to drive this one until it literally falls apart around me. With how much driving we do, that will still most like be at 12-13 years old and about 200k miles.

I'll drive my Sonata until it starts costing a lot of money or until I get bored with it. I still love the car, it's been great this past year that I've had it, no issues yet. Almost 72k miles.

The Camry I had a goal of going to over 300k miles, I still have no doubt it could do it but I have a bad back and wanted something more comfortable so I bought the Sonata and the Camry has been hibernating for 11 months. Don't know what to do with it.

The Jeep I will keep forever. It was my grandpa's Jeep and I have high standards for it to be reliable and in good shape, so I've spent quite a bit on fixing it up. It doesn't get driven much, some things have come up and I haven't felt like dealing with driving it lately, so it's been sitting for about 6 weeks again. I'll get to it soon. Thermostat housing is leaking again
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The Jeep I will keep forever. It was my grandpa's Jeep and I have high standards for it to be reliable and in good shape, so I've spent quite a bit on fixing it up. It doesn't get driven much, some things have come up and I haven't felt like dealing with driving it lately, so it's been sitting for about 6 weeks again. I'll get to it soon. Thermostat housing is leaking again
mad.gif

For what it's worth I find the OEM gasket or a Fel-pro seems to be the least likely to leak on those.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
I want a manual and a sunroof and sporty handling. I'll keep it forever unless something happens to it or it turns out to be a POS.

I wanted a manual in the Subauru. Went through a lot with a few dealers getting a manual shipped in. Now I'm kinda thinking I should have got the CVT. I still enjoy my mnaual, though!

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
mad.gif

For what it's worth I find the OEM gasket or a Fel-pro seems to be the least likely to leak on those.

Is it cracked? They will develop a hairline crack in the t-stat housing and cause a leak. I had a 2.5 Wrangler that leaked for a week or two after I replaced the thermostat gasket. Then never again.

Having an array of vehicles I intend to keep indefinitely (the 4 in my sig) I'm in it to rack up miles (aka, use and enjoy them as much as possible) but do as little heavy maintenance as possible. The only engine rebuild I know I'm going to have to do is to put a correct 327 back in my Suburban. All the other engines seem to be in fine shape so my hope is that they'll power the car past the point the rest of it needs rebuilt. At that point, rebuild (leave the engine alone if it's still healthy) and go again. Though when the Cruze reaches that point I may just lay it to rest, hopefully with over 300K on it.

My dad has a '97 Suburban C1500 that rolled 430K this summer - original, un-overhauled engine. He bought an '86 K20 new and after two valve jobs and one tranny rebuild it currently sits with 361,000 on it. My sister's husband does all his own work on his TDI Beetle which rolled 275K a few months ago. His dad has a TDI Jetta (315K recently) and '98 K2500 Suburban (278?K) all of which were bought with low enough miles that they shouldn't have had any engine or trans. work and none has happened since. My wife's parents drive an '03 Chevy 1500HD with approx. 275K and '10 Caravan with 235K - the 1500HD was bought with over 200K on it so it may have a sorted history (I replaced the tranny at about 235K) but the Caravan was bought nearly new and hasn't had any large components replaced. My BIL (their son) drives a '98 Lesabre with 228K... though to be fair it's only worth fixing at this point because I pry it away from him for some TLC every so often.

Last edited:
I want our two main cars to make it to 10 years (from purchase, both used). Then, I hope they last longer...10 years is my baseline goal. We don't put much mileage on - 8000/year for the RDX, 5000 for the 2010 SAAB - so it'll likely be some non-mileage event or boredom that does them in.

I like something that's reasonably fun to drive and easy to work on. My only other car was a 99 Saturn SL2 that I bought new and kept for 13 years. Never been a churner, really, although I see the appeal.

The 2000 SAAB in my signature is my wife's and it's on the way out. Doesn't really figure into future plans at the moment.
smile.gif
I'm dedicating 2018 to convincing her to let it go.

2017 was a yr of change. We paid off the mortgage and I've retired. The '09 Camry bought in '16 was totalled. I sent Marina out to buy its replacement. The '16 SE she came with is a jewel. So when I wanted a car, I sent her out to look at a couple I found on line. She bought the Fridge for me. Total appliances the pair of them. I am hoping the low mileage and newness will keep me out from underneath them. Car crawling has gone from a hobby to drudgery as I and 528es aged. Hoping the present stable will out last me
grin2.gif

I want reliability but I also like to think that my vehicles are one of the better maintained examples of a similar age and mileage. And I want to know if I do have problems, it's not for a lack of maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back