What is a long trip really like in an EV?

I live in a medium-sized city in North Texas. Electric vehicles are very uncommon here. The nearest Tesla dealer is 130 miles away. I don't know anyone who owns an EV.

For those of you who actually drive an EV, what is it like to take a long trip? I occasionally drive to Minnesota to see family. It's a little over 900 miles. Usually it's during the summer and I use the air conditioning. If I leave before 5am, I can get there by 8pm after making three or four stops to stretch my legs and/or refuel. It's definitely a long day of driving for me, but I save money and time by not having to stay at a hotel.

What would this trip be like in a typical EV? I know some of them are getting over a 400-mile range. Would I have to find a hotel with a charging station at the halfway point so it can recharge for hours? Would I have to stop and charge it three or more times? What if I made the trip during the winter and it was unusually cold?

Last edited by a moderator:
you stop every 200miles or so and hit the fast charger for 20min. at least in theory.
Depends on the exact vehicle.

That is the exact worst case scenario for an EV.

the other 99% of the time its not a major issue.

you stop every 200miles or so and hit the fast charger for 20min. at least in theory.
Depends on the exact vehicle.

That is the exact worst case scenario for an EV.

the other 99% of the time its not a major issue.
It's a lot more often than every 200 miles - on average you're looking at 125-150 miles depending on proximity to the next charger, climate, terrain and efficiency.

I'd say if your EV is rated for <300 miles I wouldn't even bother.

With three - four stops normally you choose places with chargers hopefully high speed(20-30mins) .

Guessing 2 actual high speed charges required as you leave home full and arrive needing a charge at destination soon.

1st, I rarely drive distance in our Model 3, or any car. I prefer to fly. But let me say, EV range is best around town as you get the benefit of regenerative braking. True freeway speeds, like 80 MPH are gonna wreck EV range.
Are you willing to stop every few hours (depending on vehicle battery range), there is a decent charging network and those distance trips are few, an EV might make sense.
On an EV, you drive charger-to-charger, not to destination.
Others with distance EV driving can chime in. Good luck.

Last edited:
Unless/Until there is a rapid recharge at least somewhat as fast as fueling an ICE vehicle, it will not take off. Then again, EV may just be a stepping stone to a new technology we haven't seen yet. We also need more electric production to make EV's at least viable. Maybe some new nuclear plants?

I'm not a long haul trucker.. my days of 900 miles in one day and feeling dead for 2 days afterwards are over.
So theoretically a new EV with realistic 320+ mile range.
I would stop one time then charge overnight at a hotel.. then charge 1 time next day.. then at my destination.

Bonus points if I could fast charge and get a good lunch.. that would be a painless 30min stop.

Again this is the once a year type scenario for me.

As long as I can get somewhere 500miles away with 1 break.. not a big deal to me.

Now towing a boat and having to charge 2-3x would start to suck. I can refuel my subaru in 3-5min.. and who cares if it only goes 250miles instead of 400.

In theory, if it's just you traveling, then you could fold the rear rows and throw a mattress/pillow/blankets back there. Nap or stretch your legs while it charges. A bit of a hassle, and would only work for 1-2 travelers at a time, and definitely won't work in Model 3 or Model S... But doable in a Model X though, I think. Saved money on hotel, should be well rested at arrival (ac can still run while it charges, I believe), may just take a little longer overall. Although all the savings are blown out of the window by Tesla's initial purchase price. Unless you drive the Escalade/Yukon/Suburban siblings.

I just drove 1640 miles in 24 hours two weeks ago, without ever going more than 7mph over the posted limit.

I don’t care how fast the fast charger is, you’re never going to duplicate the speed of refueling that petroleum offers.

I’m not 100% anti-EV, but unless you live in a major metro area and/or within 100 miles of EVERYTHING your life will encompass, an EV is at best a second vehicle. By the time you toss in insurance, plates, the possibility of battery pack replacement, and the coming mileage taxes on EVs, there is no sane financial discussion to convince people on the fence or in rural America.

+1. I did drive a Prius from Chi IL. to Davenport Iowa and found it a nice drive. No issues whatsoever and the dashboard showed when the little 4 cyl. gas was on and when it dropped off and the car was running 100% EL.

They are made for long trips. Best to just rent a gas vehicle. It would be a real bummer if there was a line or broken chargers. We just got back from a long CA road trip. Almost the entire state South to North and back. There are no electric cars once you get an hour or 2 north of San Fran. Too much risk/hassle I would assume as most of its pretty remote.

Attachments

• 20230406_211628.jpg
    20230406_211628.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 13
Back