What is a good brand of jumper cables?

I have really good cables I have had for 30 years that hang in the garage. I carry this now instead. That way I don't have to risk boosting anyone else - just use the box. 59 bucks at walmart.com

View attachment 190124
I don’t believe it’s either or just more like having both. On a day well below zero with battery pack in car above is useless. Obviously jumper cables are useless too without a running vehicle too…..

I don’t believe it’s either or just more like having both. On a day well below zero with battery pack in car above is useless. Obviously jumper cables are useless too without a running vehicle too…..
If you want both by all means. Lithium is generally better in cold than lead acid, so jump pack will still work. If the boosted vehicle is completely dead then yes, you can sit and charge it for a while with cables. Doing so on a modern vehicle with a smart charge system - which is mostly all of them now, is going to cause strange issues on the boosting vehicle becuase the current draw is outside of the current sensor, so if you do that make sure you run your boosting vehicle for a while when your done, or you might find your own battery undercharged later.

Mechanical connections are not better than soldering. If the surfaces are clean prior and soldered correctly, nothing is going to break the solder joint. If it breaks, it was not done correctly. The clamps have a clamping strain relief on them anyway so there is no strain on the solder connections.
What about soldering after making a mechanical connection / crimp? I presume there might not be a place to solder into but if the butt connector has some room, letting some solder down might be a best of both worlds solution?

Back