what is a good 75W-90 gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at all local auto parts stores around my house and there is not too many choices for gear oil, specially 75W90. some places have their own store brand in that weight, but I don't know if I want to put some cheap no-name gear oil in my truck. the only convensional name brand gear oil I found was Valvoline. even that was $6 a quart. what do you guys suggest and where can I find it?

Is this for a diff or transmission?

I'd recommend (and I'm not someone who drops names often) ordering some Amsoil gear lube from our site sponsors.

I've used a few brands and found a WORLD of difference (for manual transmissions) between oils.

Its something you leave in for many miles. I've had a top major name brand gear oil be spent within 40k miles and the Amsoil I've got so far 80k on it and all is like new.

Give us more info and maybe we can suggest something.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I'd recommend (and I'm not someone who drops names often) ordering some Amsoil gear lube from our site sponsors.

I've used a few brands and found a WORLD of difference (for manual transmissions) between oils.

Its something you leave in for many miles. I've had a top major name brand gear oil be spent within 40k miles and the Amsoil I've got so far 80k on it and all is like new.

Bill

I have a 2008 Tacoma 4 cylinder 4x4 with manual transmition. It only has about 16,000 miles on it right now, but I was thinking about changing the front and rear differential, transer gearbox and manual transmition soon. the maintenance schedule calls out replacing them at 30K if you are not towing anything, but at 15K if you are. was hoping changing all of them specially with a synthetic gear oil would make it run smooter and quieter. what do you guys think?

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer
I was at all local auto parts stores around my house and there is not too many choices for gear oil, specially 75W90. some places have their own store brand in that weight, but I don't know if I want to put some cheap no-name gear oil in my truck. the only convensional name brand gear oil I found was Valvoline. even that was $6 a quart. what do you guys suggest and where can I find it?

What diff is it? Plate, open or locker. What's the vehicle?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Bill

I have a 2008 Tacoma 4 cylinder 4x4 with manual transmition. It only has about 16,000 miles on it right now, but I was thinking about changing the front and rear differential, transer gearbox and manual transmition soon. the maintenance schedule calls out replacing them at 30K if you are not towing anything, but at 15K if you are. was hoping changing all of them specially with a synthetic gear oil would make it run smooter and quieter. what do you guys think?
I'd say your close to ready for a change.

I like to go 20k on factory fills then change our the fluids if they are manuals.

As far as being smoother and quieter... Maybe they will maybe not.

But I would. Then the next time would be around 75k. Then every 75k on out unless you get the diffs wet.

I've gone 292k on a factory fill for a transmission. It was still shifting well but I felt guilty. It's doing well @ 345k miles.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Post above yours...

Quote:
" 2008 Tacoma 4 cylinder 4x4 with manual transmission"

Doubt it has lockers. Open diffs.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

It is not LSD and don't believe has "locker", just standard electronically controlled two speed 4x4.

Motul Gear 300 is another good oil, but expensive. I'm running it currently in the Forester (tranny and rear diff) and it shifts great.

I will also be looking for alternatives for my next tranny/diff change. Amsoil mt lubes have served me well in the past and I will be considering svg/svt for the Forester.

If you get some of the Amsoil for the Subaru diffs, GET the 75-110 for them.

75-90 DOES cause them to make some noise! A little 145wt took the noise away.

Bill

I have read that in one of your threads from the past regarding the 110 weight. I'm looking for feedback from subie 5mt owners who are running amsoil in the tranny. Know anyone?

Any 75w90 full synthetic for the front/rear ends and the transfer case would be perfect.

For the manual, I would use Redline MT90 or Amsoil MTG. There aren't too many store bought gear oils that shift well with the manual tranny. Nissan has a great GL4 75w85 for your manual.

If on a budget, any name brand 80w90 or 75w90 would also be good for 30k intervals.

For the rearend, I heard plenty of noises from Nissan rearends. I would consider a 75w110 or 75w140 if yours is whiney.

Given the choice, I would go with either the Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG 75W-90 GL-4 lubes in a Toyota manual gearbox over one of the GL-5 choices available. The exception would be Redline 75W-90NS GL-5 if you want to use the same fluid for all 4 fills on the truck. This would keep it simple.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Given the choice, I would go with either the Redline MT-90 or Amsoil MTG 75W-90 GL-4 lubes in a Toyota manual gearbox over one of the GL-5 choices available. The exception would be Redline 75W-90NS GL-5 if you want to use the same fluid for all 4 fills on the truck. This would keep it simple.

Where can I purchase Redline gear oil? I haven't seen them in any store. Do you guys buy them on line from the company direct? I noticed you can do that, but don't know if it is cheaper or not.

I'm using Redline MT-90 in my '07 Corolla. On the Corolla boards, that's the #1 recommended manual transaxle lubricant.

In my own car, there was a 100% improvement, and the old stuff wasn't really even dark (only 20k miles on the car when I changed it). The shifter is just snick-snickity smooth now. It glides in and out of gear with just a finger tip's effort. Cold shifting is probably 50% improved, but what I was surprised about was the warm weather shifting. It's 100% better. I can't recommend this stuff enough.

I bought my 2 quarts (the Corolla takes 2 quarts EXACTLY) from Redline directly. $15 each shipped, so $30 for the whole deal. It took about 10 minutes in the garage to change it. Super super easy. I tried finding local Redline distributors, but had little luck finding anyone who would sell me less than a case.

Good luck! You'll love the MT-90.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back