What is a cleaner wax??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing these "cleaner wax" products what are they? eg. Mother's Cleaner Wax. Are they waxes? Cleaners? Do you use them before waxing? After?

EEEERRRRRR AAAAAAAAA a cleaner and a wax all in one?

pat.gif

Yup. merely a 'single step' wax. generally carnauba based with a mild chemical cleaner. They're decent for quicky times, but they will remove any "good" wax you have below.

I use 'em on stuff like windshield wiper arms, clear coated wheels, inside the engine bay and truck, etc.

ferb!

Some cleaner waxes are wax-based (like the Mothers cited) and some are synthetic-based (like NuFinish or Finish 2001). If the product description is something like, "cleans, polishes, and protects in one easy step!" then its a cleaner wax.

cool.gif
Basically the "cleaner" part is there to remove oxidized paint. Pure carnuba w/o cleaner won't do that and on a newer car that would be fine. I've used Mother's Paste With Cleaner for 20 years. Some waxes have more cleaner than others. J-Wax Kit (is that stuff still around?) was like one notch above rubbing compound. Good for heavily oxidized cars though. Newer cars with clearcoat paint shouldn't need cleaner/wax all the time if you keep it washed and waxed but I'd still use it once in a while, or keep a bottle of Mother's or Meguier's liquid cleaner for occasional use.

The Mother's and Meguiar's lines of Cleaner/Wax should really be called Glaze and Wax Sealer. These contain very mild abrasives and do not "clean" a car with some oxidation.

The two above mentioned companies have a three step process (1 paint cleaner, 2 glaze, and 3 wax sealer).

I am lazy and do the 2 step process. I use M or M paint cleaner. After that, I apply M or M cleaner wax and I am finished.

for a lazy person, you would definitely want to clay the car(very important), then use the medallion cleaner and then meguiars #20 or medallion premium paint protection. Cleaner waxes aren't bad, but id rather have a polymer that has a lil cleaner in it bc it is about double the durability of a cleaner wax!!!!!

My follow up question is then:

I ran out of step 1 (Mothers') while I was waxing and was wondering if I can substitute the Cleaner Wax for step 1 and then follow up with steps 2 and 3???

cool.gif
Yes, however the Mother's Wax With Cleaner is not as strong a cleaner as the straight cleaner in a bottle but if your paint is not too oxidized it will be okay. Personally I love the Mother's Paste but I never cared for the liquid, it likes to streak.

Do steps 1 and 2 come in a paste, or liquid only. So do steps 1 and 2 in liquid and finish with the step 3 paste (can)??

Steps 1 and 2 are liquid only, while 3 comes in liquid or paste(get the paste, the liquid won't last near as long).

I agree. It's a little more difficult to put on. Easier to remove and buff....less streaks and you probably have to use it 1/2 as often. I still try to wax after every wash. Black car and all..

i use the mother's cleaning wax pretty often in the summer (once a month or so). it lasts for 6~8 weeks if i don't get around to re-applying it.

so, after i wash but don't wax, i just give it a nice coat of turtle wax express wax or polish.

this seems to keep my wax healthy. i go all winter without applying real wax (spray polish occassionally) and water still beads in the spring.

man, i can't wait to wash my car and apply a coat of that awesome smelling wax.

fruit.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back