What impresses you and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it happens often around here, but when the sky is clear at night, and I can take a telescope and look at planets, moons, stars, nebulae, etc., I'm impressed by what a tiny place we live on and how vast the universe is.

mis-timed edit.

Guy over the road had some old photos of a garage that was here when I moved here...but 25 feet closer to the kerb.

He explained that when the garage put petrol bowsers in that they had to move the facility back to allow the fueling cars to be located off the street, and on the station premesis.

Took them two days and 8 men to move an entire steel framed workshop 15 feet backwards.

A handshake and a few beers and the job was complete apparently.

Polite manners, common courtesy to others, and a job well done, no matter how simple.

Because it is woefully lacking in modern society.

Win, you beat me to it. It impresses the heck out of me when someone takes a minute to listen to your concerns, and takes a minute to let you know what's up when the job is done. I recently had one car aligned, and spoke with the "been there thirty years" tech about tweaking the camber. Couldn't be done, but he did tell me when he was finished how he got everything squared up and balanced. Car drives great.
Another mechanic (one man private business) went out of his way to heat-lamp tweak a warped cam belt cover on my 18 year old beater, 'cos the replacement costs $53. I'm going back there for future work.

The Universe, human consciousness.

On a lower level - old civilizations, highly intelligent people (Stephen Hawking/Einsteins etc.) human mind.

Quote:
What impresses me is that the human brain hasn't really changed in the last few thousand years, we are not really smarter than man 3000 years ago, but in the last 100 years our tools have advanced (for better or worse) hugely. (I almost wrote logarithmically, but I can’t prove that….)

I often wonder if people like psychics, or extremely gifted people that have incredible memories etc. tap into other parts of the brain???

Originally Posted By: buster

I often wonder if people like psychics, or extremely gifted people that have incredible memories etc. tap into other parts of the brain???

There really is no such thing as psychics, but I believe "gifted" people's brains function differently....or more efficiently...can't say they use otherwise unused "brain parts".

Science in general is just amazing to me. I am most impressed by the human body and how that was created is just totally amazing. It is such a precise machine that if something small is not right you can die. Your body is constantly trying to keep that balance just right and the amazing thing is IT DOES. Unless something is really wrong with you, your body manages to keep itself in balance despite most of us not helping to do so at all.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: buster

There really is no such thing as psychics, but I believe "gifted" people's brains function differently....or more efficiently...can't say they use otherwise unused "brain parts".

A gifted brain probably works different to the norm, sometimes with the loss of other functions. An Autistic Savant may be able the +-x or divide large numbers instantly, but other normal functions will be lacking. Einstein was able to envision concepts most of us would find difficult to comprehend, but as a child was slow learning to speak and was considerd a little Dim.
What Impresses me is the way humans have learned to communicate.
Communication has allowed us to share knowledge and pass on knowledge after we die. I think 'this' is key to our rapid increase in technology (over the last 100 years, I bet it's more than Logarhythmic!) What saddens me is; How many Einsteins, Mozart's etc. may have gone undiscovered because communication (to enlightened people) was not available.

The "number" zero.

I was watching a program on the History Channel about India and how the Indians "invented" the zero. What a concept!

Originally Posted By: Spitty
Einstein was able to envision concepts most of us would find difficult to comprehend, but as a child was slow learning to speak and was considered a little Dim.

If an average person were put into the midst of a troop of Chimpanzees and had to live in the Jungle with the chimps, the Chimps would think the human was dim.

The IQ difference between ordinary people and the Chimps and between Einstein and average academics is about the same.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm impressed that I have underwear that has lasted several years.

I won't touch that one.

I'm impressed that Jodie Foster is gay. G-Man should agree.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back