What impresses you and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing a bit of plumbing today and mine is Teflon tape. What a simple, effective invention for sealing shower head threads!

Obviously oil is another!

Ball bearings are a third one for me. I just think of all the things out there that need to roll or move.

Last one for now is springs. All the different types of springs. Running old clocks, closing doors, suspensions on cars, etc.

What impresses you?

For real plumbing jobs, I hate teflon tape. It's ok for shower head type work though. I usually use teflon paste.

What impresses me? My wife. The amount of work and multitasking she can pull off never ceases to amaze me. Not only can she execute, she is planning ahead for the whole family. She is going in for major surgery on Friday and frankly I'm going to be roadkill until next year.

I'm impressed by the inner workings of many minds. The internet has allowed the expression of the most "strange" inner workings of so many ..and allowed them to be shared.

Now "The Shadow" isn't the only one with insight in such things.

"Imagine, Ellen ..a world full of weirdos"

"That would be wonderful"

..but as you're inclined to take this thread in intent...

I find automated mechanical assembly lines most interesting. Replacing the human element is most challenging in many respects and I marvel at what hoops those who designed them went through. I've also enjoyed exposure to various forms of proprietary equipment that accomplishes the same task using radically different designs and find myself pondering what difference in thought processes were in the respective design engineers.

What impresses me most is the beauty of the nature. I feel very lucky that I can appreciate what I see - landscapes, animals, birds and insects; the green moss on the tree trunk just outside my window, the blue jay and four cardinals eating the earthworms that have come outside after yesterday's rain (surprisingly, the birds don't do that in the neighbors' yards - my guess is that the chemicals they use either kill the earthworms or make them taste bad). People see the same things but many don't care for it.

I am also impressed (in a negative way) the ingenuity of humankind to completely alter this same nature and destroy it.

A really strong, clear and controlled singing voice impresses me. I'm especially amazed by the power of black female vocalists like Martha Wash, Loleatta Holloway, Jocelyn Brown, Jeanie Tracy and Whitney Houston (in her former glory). There's just an element present in black female voices (especially the larger ladies) that seems to be missing in most white ones and I find myself in awe of the sound.

No, this is in no way any kind of racial statement. I just admire the power of artists like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThkLAVvkrfA

I've seen her in concert 7 times and she's truly got an amazing set of pipes.

I'm impressed at some of the Chinese inventions way before the west...I'm impressed by astronomy of some of the older civilizations. I am impressed by the Mayan calendar….and by some tidbit of history that I just had no knowledge.

What impresses me is that the human brain hasn't really changed in the last few thousand years, we are not really smarter than man 3000 years ago, but in the last 100 years our tools have advanced (for better or worse) hugely. (I almost wrote logarithmically, but I can’t prove that….)

Originally Posted By: CBDFrontier06
A really strong, clear and controlled singing voice impresses me. I'm especially amazed by the power of black female vocalists like Martha Wash, Loleatta Holloway, Jocelyn Brown, Jeanie Tracy and Whitney Houston (in her former glory). There's just an element present in black female voices (especially the larger ladies) that seems to be missing in most white ones and I find myself in awe of the sound.

No, this is in no way any kind of racial statement. I just admire the power of artists like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThkLAVvkrfA

I've seen her in concert 7 times and she's truly got an amazing set of pipes.
01.gif
cheers3.gif
x100

No, I totally understand what you're saying. You should check this lady out if you don't have any of her stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-OKeh-Sess...rd_i=B000001CU5

http://www.amazon.com/Savoy-Blues-Legend...rd_i=B000001CU5

Originally Posted By: Pablo
For real plumbing jobs, I hate teflon tape. It's ok for shower head type work though. I usually use teflon paste.=

I like plumber's hemp best.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Ithinkdatacompressionisreallyneat.

Iwrotemyseniorpaperonthat!!

What also impresses me are all the ingenious technological hurdles we've overcome, only to have those solutions cast away when a new technology arose. Take the beam power tube, for instance: a very high-fidelity, low-noise amplification tube with several tungsten-coated grids. It took a lot of brainpower, time, and $$$ for tubes like the 6L6 to evolve from the crude triodes that started it all, and now they're obsolete.

- Scott

i am impressed that local tv stations manage to keep people watching them.

i am impressed with the amount of power you can get out of a simple 2 stroke motor (nearly 1 horsepower per cc. without supercharging, turbo or nitrous)

i am impressed with the planet earth series of programmes on discovery.

i am impressed when i look at life, in general. that we are here at all.

I am impressed about how the Japanese can live so tightly packed, with relatively few social problems.

I am impressed with the human spirit and the patience some people are born with.

I am impressed that dogs are immune to Clostridium botulinum, yet 500 grams of the toxin produced by the bacteria would be enough to kill the entire human population.

I am impressed by compound interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back