What IF????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all and Happy Thanksgiving holiday!!!

I was at Pep Boys today looking at the high price of all these oils (synthetic ) that are claimed to be "extended". Wow, what a high price those are which was in the low eight dollar range per quart. The cheapest non-synthetic oil I saw was Kendell "FULL Synthetic" at five bucks per quart. The next highest was Quaker State "Q exreme" at about mid six dllars.

I started to wonder if you had ONLY one brand to choose from that will handle all your synthetic oil needs what would it be???? Think of the dollar per quart issue.

Durango

I'd go with Amsoil. They seem to have an oil for virtually every application, and I'd never have to question the quality of the product. I know it's on the higher-end of the price spectrum, but the extended drain intervals make up for the higher price.

Last edited:
Yes, Amsoil is the one stop synthetic shop that's hard to duplicate ..even with M1. You'll rarely find all grades available in one location.

Originally Posted By: Durango
I was at Pep Boys today looking at the high price of all these oils (synthetic ) that are claimed to be "extended".

But if you consider "extended" to mean 15k miles, then you need to be looking at the price "per mile" since supposedly you're getting the benefit of longer drain with those more expensive oils. Assuming 5 qt sump, you need $40 worth of oil. That's 0.26 cents per mile (a quarter of a cent). Now, if you compare it to Kendall, assuming you can go 10k miles on it, that's about 0.25 cents per mile, so it's about the same, considering how much life you can get out of it.

For me, if I had to have just one, I'd be perfectly happy with GC 0w-30. When on sale, it's about $5/quart as well, and it can easily handle 10k+ OCI.

Schaeffer's 9000 Line. I get it for a decent deal IMO, 72.00 for a 12qt case, tax included. Plus it's a top notch oil.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Yes, Amsoil is the one stop synthetic shop that's hard to duplicate ..even with M1. You'll rarely find all grades available in one location.

I'd go along with that.

OK guys,

IF you thinking about a once per year oil drain then I can see paying the high price for such an oil. That's assuming the oil filter will go that long.

It's kinda hard for me to think of a once per year OCI as I'm always used to that old timers thinking of 3K.

Currently I have a new Impala SS with the new Oil Life Monitors that tells me to go about 6K OCI. I'm getting use to it cuz I'm almost ready for it's first oil change and am currently at about 4700 miles now and boy is the oil dark!!!! I can't wait to change her out for some fresh new synthetic. I'd even go for dino one more time to make sure the rings settle down.

Anyway if I had to make a choice for an overall oil to use I'd be the "Q". For no scientific reason it seems to do wekk in my 01' Durango V-8/4.7 liter with no leaks what so ever.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango
That's assuming the oil filter will go that long.

Why wouldn't it, assuming you use a quality filter?

Durango said:
Currently I have a new Impala SS with the new Oil Life Monitors that tells me to go about 6K OCI. I'm getting use to it cuz I'm almost ready for it's first oil change and am currently at about 4700 miles now and boy is the oil dark!!!! I can't wait to change her out for some fresh new synthetic. I'd even go for dino one more time to make sure the rings settle down.quote]

One thing you'll need to get away from is using the color of the oil as an indicator of its condition. That is not an accurate way to judge. It can be as black as pitch, and still be in great shape. The best way to approach it would be to gradually increase the length of your OCI's until you reach a comfortable level, maybe 7500 miles or so. Depending on what oil you go with, you may be able to stretch it 10,000.

Andy,

Thank you for your reply. I feel much more confident of what you said about the color of the oil. Still I intende to change it when my OLM tell me to do so and then swap it over to a synthetic. Besides I'm only about 1000K left on this oil now anyway.

Durango

oo tough.. but seeing the VOA and UOA and being a castrol fan... Ok stop the chuckles... EDGE gets my vote, especially when you can find it on sale. Thats me though. and you can even get this at most walmarts so is rather readily available, i prefer the 10-30 though

Last edited:
Advance has Edge on sale $25 with a Pure One. If I was you I would give Edge a try.So far everyone seems to like the results.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Advance has Edge on sale $25 with a Pure One. If I was you I would give Edge a try.So far everyone seems to like the results.

Yep, I bought two oil changes worth. Plus you can use the $10 off coupon to get it for only $15. I'm probably gonna go back and get another 5 quarts and a filter before the sale ends...
grin2.gif
I like the stuff so far.

not to mention how OVER priced Pep Boys oil prices are. I personally do not know anyone who buys oil at Pep Boys at their asking price

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back