What House DIY maintenance you do yearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: xshoex
The perks of renting from an awesome landlord. I do the yard (well my neighbor does) and i change the air filter, aswell as pressure wash every few months. Rest it on him (mainly the pest control, brown recluse are bad here)

The perks of renting from non-awesome landlords is they do none of these things, and keep your rental deposit of bogus grounds when you leave.

I'll keep my house, thank you very much.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Thanks spasm3. Do you spray it every year or?

I spray the demon spring and fall around my foundation and flower beds, up the corners of the house ( acute and obtuse corners). Around the windows and inside the garage.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/demon-wp-insecticide-p-74.html

The termidor i trench around the foundation, and i mix it in a 5 gallon bucket and apply to the trench, making sure there is plenty to soak in. I push the dirt back around the foundation. This treatment should be good for 10 years.

Trenching instructions on page 7 of the link below, Q+A link further down.\

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/Termidor Label.pdf

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/termidor-sc-questions-pq-184.html

Last edited:
every season spray for bugs. a gallon of product is less than $10 at walmart or HD/Lowes. Use quality hvac filter every 90 days. pretty muchly just cleanliness and taking care of things and not damaging everything you touch. Mouse traps in attic and garage too.

Runs a few cups of CLR in the dishwasher and clothes washer on shortest cycle. The ZEP brand is much cheaper and as good as the CLR brand. Obviously no dishes or laundry. Do an extra rinse cycle if you are worried. Does wonders to prolong appliance life especially with deposit rich water.

Dittos on the dryer vent hose. Also, vacuum the dryer completely yearly inside and around the vent outlet. I can tell you horror stories about dryer fires. Amazing how many don't empty the lint trap each use. Use the firmest vent line possible. The flexible types are not as good and avoid sharp bends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
I am finding it is easier to just buy a new home every 15 years or so.

As I get older I think that way too.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Runs a few cups of CLR in the dishwasher and clothes washer on shortest cycle. The ZEP brand is much cheaper and as good as the CLR brand. Obviously no dishes or laundry. Do an extra rinse cycle if you are worried. Does wonders to prolong appliance life especially with deposit rich water.

Thanks very much. How do you run CLR in the dishwasher, of course no dishes in it?

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I started servicing our oil fired heater last year; replace the oil & air filter, change the nozzle, clean and check the set of the electrodes. I found it rewarding to accomplish that.

Cleaning drains (several times a year)of hair build-up and whatnot. It's nice to have the drains run freely.

Clean the dishwasher. I'm always checking the jets for clogs. But once in a while I'll give it a through cleaning by removing the lower arm, removing the filter cover (3 screws), cleaning the filter and some other stuff that back flushes the filter. It's surprising the amount of gunk that builds up down there, and we usually per-rinse the dishes. Keeps it running like new.

Clean the computers. Open the cases and give them a good blow out with a can of air duster.

Thanks, for drain do you use any product or vinegar/baking soda and all?

Do you have any link/video which you follow for your dishwasher? Thanks a lot
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
This is one reason I do not regret selling my house. No more unpaid part-time job for me!

How much are you paying for rent ?

I started servicing our oil fired heater last year; replace the oil & air filter, change the nozzle, clean and check the set of the electrodes. I found it rewarding to accomplish that.

Cleaning drains (several times a year)of hair build-up and whatnot. It's nice to have the drains run freely.

Clean the dishwasher. I'm always checking the jets for clogs. But once in a while I'll give it a through cleaning by removing the lower arm, removing the filter cover (3 screws), cleaning the filter and some other stuff that back flushes the filter. It's surprising the amount of gunk that builds up down there, and we usually per-rinse the dishes. Keeps it running like new.

Clean the computers. Open the cases and give them a good blow out with a can of air duster.

thumbsup2.gif

Cleaning drains is more snaking them out than running any chemicals through them. Get a 6 foot or so snake, that will work for many clogged showers or similar.

Every so often go through a room and clean out the clutter. That makes the house feel cleaner, and cuts down on the amount of cleaning needed later.

I snake the shower drain when it slows down. One of those flat metal ones seems to do the trick (I use the sharp end, not the one with the little plastic ball). Trying to cut through the hair. I have a 25' snake for doing the kitchen drain, but so far it's resisting; it just keeps going slower.

I have the furnace serviced every other year. I have hot water off the boiler so it runs year round. I stick around and chat with the guy, so I know it's not unduly dirty on the inside.

I have the septic pumped every 2-3 years.

Paint the exterior every few years. Will pay someone to do the trimboards this year (never done those, starting to look real ratty now).

I should get some stone for the driveway this year, it's starting to really get uneven. I've never treated the deck (came with the house weathered); I know some like to pressure wash and treat, but I've never heard a good consensus on what treatment to use. So I haven't. It's too far gone now anyhow. I did have to put in a bunch of screws, as some had snapped in the planking.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

thumbsup2.gif

Cleaning drains is more snaking them out than running any chemicals through them. Get a 6 foot or so snake, that will work for many clogged showers or similar.

Every so often go through a room and clean out the clutter. That makes the house feel cleaner, and cuts down on the amount of cleaning needed later.

Thanks, I have plastic plumbing and all. Can snake damage anything?

PVC plumbing here. As long as it's been done correctly and you don't beast the snake into the clog, it very likely will be fine. Nibble at a large clog a bit at a time. Otherwise it shoves it down further, and makes that much more work to get it cleaned out.

Microfiber and distilled on the TV screens. Dont spray directly onto the screen- spray the cloth.

Windex windows inside and out. Wipe light switches and power outlets. Clean behind(sweep or wipe) what you can. Dont neglect power cords and wiring. They can be wiped with mild soap and water solution.

Clean the airbox for the HVAC. Even though mine appears sealed, it still gets 'stuff' inside- dead insects, leaves, dust. Clean the grating and vents. Wipe the inside unit.

Inspect your electric meter and try to keep it clean. Furniture and/or window cleaner on the window seals and window frames. Clean the ceiling fan. Check screws for tightness. Check oiling. Check spinning in proper direction. Wipe down light bulb glass. If they face up, they can collect alot of dust- I suppose this could cause overheating and reduced lifespan/efficiency.

Keep the expansion joints in your concrete driveway clear of debris and weeds trying to grow.

Step out into the street by the mailbox once in a while and remove cigarette butts, beer cans, fallen limbs, twigs, other people's trash, etc.

When I bought my house I made the decision to maintain it as best I could.
I like to check every-thing over at least once per Year.
I started feeling over-whelmed at always having too much to do.
I finally got smart.

I drew up a sheet listing each Month.
January
1) Refrigerator - Check
2) Washer / Dryer - Check
3) Hot Water Tank - Check

June
1) Vinyl Siding - Clean
2) Next Years Flag - Buy
3) Shed - Check & clean out

November
1) Furnace Filter - Replace
2) Vacuum Cleaners - Empty
3) Dehumidifier - Check

You get the idea.
Summer time, I'm checking / fixing things outside
Winter is inside work.

Some people are just plain LAZY and won't lift a finger.
One thing I really believe in is CONTINOUS IMPROVEMENT.
So when I check over any appliance, I look for ways to improve so future Larry will thank me.

I see you just changed the Anode Rod, it's recommended to check for leaks a couple days later.

Originally Posted By: larryinnewyork
When I bought my house I made the decision to maintain it as best I could.
I like to check every-thing over at least once per Year.
I started feeling over-whelmed at always having too much to do.
I finally got smart.

I drew up a sheet listing each Month.
January
1) Refrigerator - Check
2) Washer / Dryer - Check
3) Hot Water Tank - Check

June
1) Vinyl Siding - Clean
2) Next Years Flag - Buy
3) Shed - Check & clean out

November
1) Furnace Filter - Replace
2) Vacuum Cleaners - Empty
3) Dehumidifier - Check

You get the idea.
Summer time, I'm checking / fixing things outside
Winter is inside work.

Some people are just plain LAZY and won't lift a finger.
One thing I really believe in is CONTINOUS IMPROVEMENT.
So when I check over any appliance, I look for ways to improve so future Larry will thank me.

I see you just changed the Anode Rod, it's recommended to check for leaks a couple days later.

Hey Larry, thanks very much for your valuable input. Do you mind sharing your sheet, please? I would like to stick it somewhere and follow it too.

I have the tendency to do all things at the same time, which make me feel overwhelmed and stressed. Lol

So divide and conquer would be best, as your strategy!

maverickfhs,

This is the best I can do.
You need to make a List specific to your house and how you live.
Good luck.

House - Preventive Maintenance Schedule

JULY AUGUST SEPTEMBER

1) xxxx & Contents - Check 1) Garage Door Opener - Check 1) Outside Trim - Scrap, Prime, Paint, & Caulk
2) Garage & Yard Photos - Update 2) Generator - Check / See P.M. Notebook 2) Furnace & Thermostat - Check / See List
3) Sump Pump Alarm System - Check 3) 3) Storm Windows & Doors - Check
4) 4) Emergency Shelves - Check
5) Window Screens - Clean
6)

OCTOBER NOVEMBER DECEMBER

1) Summer Items - From Garage : Into Basement 1) Furnace Filter - Replace 1) Interior House Photos - Update
2) Windows - Clean Outside 2) Snow-Thrower - Check / See P.M. Notebook 2) Device Batteries - Check / See List
3) Outside Water Faucet & Spigets - Shut Off 3) Dehumidifier - Check 3)
4) Garden Tools - Clean 4) Flag - Take Down after Veterans Day (Nov 11)
5) Lawn-Mower - Check / See P.M. Notebook 5) Vacuum Cleaners - Empty
6) Gutters & Downspouts - Check 6) Windows - Check Interior Plastic
7) Sump Pump Alarm System - Check 7) Bathroom & Kitchen Windows - Caulk Outside
8) Storm Drains at Street / Curb - Check 8)
9) Garage Door - Clean & Wax
10)

House - (2) Date Revised: 01-12-2017

House - Preventive Maintenance Schedule

JANUARY FEBRUARY MARCH

1) Refrigerator - Check 1) Smoke & CO Detectors - Check 1) Plumbing System - Check / See List
2) Washer - Check 2) Fire Extinguishers - Check 2) Electrical System - Check / See List
3) Dryer - Check 3) Security System - Check 3)
4) Central Vacuum - Check 4) Exercise Equipment - Check
5) Sump-Pumps & Alarm System - Check 5) Bird Houses - Clean Out
6) Ovens - Check 6)
7) Hot Water Tank - Check
8) xxxxxxxxxxx - Check
9)

APRIL MAY JUNE

1) Gutters & Downspouts - Check 1) Outside Water Faucet & Spigets - Turn On 1) Vinyl Siding - Clean
2) Windows - Clean Outside 2) House Ceiling Fans - Check 2) Outside Light Fixtures - Check
3) Flag - Put up 3) Snow-Thrower - Check / See P.M. Notebook 3) Next Years Flag - Buy
4) Bathroom & Kitchen Windows - Remove Caulk 4) Garage Door & Track - Clean 4) Garage Ceiling Fans - Check
5) Lawn-Mower - Check / See P.M. Notebook 5) 5) Garage Floor - Clean & Seal
6) Sump Pump Alarm System - Check 6) Shed - Check & Clean-Out
7) Sump-Pump Hole - Clean Out 7)
8) Summer Items - From Basement : Into Garage
9) Storm Drains at Street / Curb - Check
10)

House - (1) Date Revised: 02-05-2017

Now I see how the info transferred, (not arranged like on my sheets).
Just make a list of each Month and write under each what you want to do.
For me, this keeps it simple.
I know what I have to do each Month, and I don't worry about other Months (I'll get to them when the time comes)

Last edited:
I always look out for a very cold day to defrost the freezer and put the frozen food outside temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back