What High-Mileage oil for 2004 Honda Pilot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys,
I am not well familiar with what is "best" HM oil, or is there any that people prefer.
Vehicle in question is 2004 Honda Pilot. My father and mother in-law gave vehicle to my wife's sister and her husband few years back. He was primarily driving vehicle, and except beer knowledge and eating in fancy restaurants, guy is absolutely useless. I showed him once oil filter and he asked me: what is that? So much about car knowledge.
Soon after they took car I noticed on several occasions blue smoke. I did not say anything to them as they are "smartest" people on earth, so it stayed that way.
Fast forward to this weekend. They all came to our house to celebrate my son's b'day. That is when I found out that Pilot is going to be returned to my wife's parents bcs. my brother in law took it to mechanic and mechanic told him that there is a leak and it would cost $4-5000. I asked him to explain me more, he of course, could not. He only said oil is not leaking outside but inside. Now I am assuming that mechanic referred to valve stems or piston rings, but who knows.
Anyway, my wife's parents will pay for car to be shipped to Las Vegas (they gave them car for free, now they are paying to be shipped back, I had to get drunk when I found out about that). They want another vehicle (they have 2001 Lexus ES and 2011 Pilot too) so when kids visit we can have enough cars.
Anyway, I am assuming here that regular oil was used in car, and God know what were OCI's. Anyone has any suggestion which oil might be good in attempting to limit oil consumption? I was thinking maybe going heavy, like Rotella T6 or Mobil1 TDT, but if anyone has any other advice, please say it. Also, cold start is not of concern considering vehicle will be located in Las Vegas, so 10W or even 15W will be fine.

HM oils work by swelling the "rubber" seals. If there is internal mechanical damage, HM oil is very unlikely to help. Seems like a lot of money and effort to expend on a 15 year old vehicle. I think the Pilot might be headed to car Heaven.

Originally Posted by Leo99
HM oils work by swelling the "rubber" seals. If there is internal mechanical damage, HM oil is very unlikely to help. Seems like a lot of money and effort to expend on a 15 year old vehicle. I think the Pilot might be headed to car Heaven.

Yes, it could be that damage is not in seals and gaskets but some mechanical issue. I would not be surprise at all. I just want to try and see if this helps a bit. If not, oh well....
I am just wondering if there is anything people might prefer over other? Or if someone has any experience with non-HM oils that might be useful. It is hypothetical scenario as I do not know exactly what problem is so I know question is a bit of a stretch.

Tried Castrol HM 10w-30 in my 97' Previa most recently and I was most pleased w/this oil. (I'm really liking this brand's 0w-40, Magnetic 0w-20 and their HM oils.) Walmart has the Castrol HM for $16.97. This is what I'd try.

I like Castrol EDGE HM.
There is equal protection with good film strength, in spite of low phosphorus for the cat.
The foil seal gives additional confidence that you are getting the actual product.

Maxlife all the way. Mom has an '05 Pilot. Just rolled the 200K mark and no oil burn/leakage. It's on full syn now, but prior to this most recent oil change it's had a religious diet of Maxlife 5W-20 and WIX. Stellar oil, and if I remember correctly, it had the highest synthetic content of the syn blend high mileage oils (30%?). No hesitations recommending Maxlife in your scenario.

Any 5w30 is good.

Also, be more worried about the transmission. You might even want to change the ATF every year if not every OCI. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is the best stuff to use at a good price. Wait for the $5/qt sales at the parts stores
smile.gif

I really like either the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, or 0W-40 Castrol in a Honda J series V6. The Mobil 1 is ~$23 at Walmart - $12 twice a year rebate makes it around $11 for 5 qts. I've tried 0/5W-20, 5W-30, and 0W-40 makes the engine smoother and quieter.

Originally Posted by sparky123
Tried Castrol HM 10w-30 in my 97' Previa most recently and I was most pleased w/this oil. (I'm really liking this brand's 0w-40, Magnetic 0w-20 and their HM oils.) Walmart has the Castrol HM for $16.97. This is what I'd try.

Yep. Time to move from 5w20 to 10w30.

Originally Posted by DIANgEMinONV
I really like either the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40, or 0W-40 Castrol in a Honda J series V6. The Mobil 1 is ~$23 at Walmart - $12 twice a year rebate makes it around $11 for 5 qts. I've tried 0/5W-20, 5W-30, and 0W-40 makes the engine smoother and quieter.

I am very familiar with those Euro oils. Until recently I only drove Euro cars, and bcs of growing family had to move to minivan. Was thinking about heavy stuff, but than contemplating HM bcs. of additives.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Any 5w30 is good.

Also, be more worried about the transmission. You might even want to change the ATF every year if not every OCI. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is the best stuff to use at a good price. Wait for the $5/qt sales at the parts stores
smile.gif

Yeah, transmission is in back of my mind. Problem is I am in Vegas only 1-2 times a year for few days. Not a lot of time to deal with these kind of stuff.
I will tell my father in law what to get, go and give to his mechanic to change. Probably will tell him to get Castrol Edge HM 10W30 and then change ATF also.

The only 'internal' seals that generally leak on J-Series engines are the orings around the oil pump. Pan has to come off to fix those and you might as well do the timing belt while you're in there since all that has to come off as well. Doesn't cause blue smoke though, just leakage.

Really, just take your pick. That motor isn't picky.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
The only 'internal' seals that generally leak on J-Series engines are the orings around the oil pump. Pan has to come off to fix those and you might as well do the timing belt while you're in there since all that has to come off as well. Doesn't cause blue smoke though, just leakage.

Really, just take your pick. That motor isn't picky.

I think mechanic used term "leak" to explain something else. If it is true that fix is $4-5000, than it is not oil pump.

The Sister in-laws vehicle going back to parents-in-laws.

If I were you, I would just stay away from offering any ideas or advice about the vehicle. Just let them deal with it as they want. The cost-benefit ratio of offering advice leans heavy on the cost side here,

Originally Posted by ajchien

If I were you, I would just stay away from offering any ideas or advice about the vehicle. Just let them deal with it as they want. The cost-benefit ratio of offering advice leans heavy on the cost side here,

Yes, this is the correct answer.

Originally Posted by ajchien

Yeah, that is good point. Trying to help parents in law, but yeah, it might boomerang.

I would try Mobil 1 HM 10W40. That oil has actually reduced/eliminated the rear main seal leak in my E30. I know it won't last forever, but it works for now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by drtyler
I would try Mobil 1 HM 10W40. That oil has actually reduced/eliminated the rear main seal leak in my E30. I know it won't last forever, but it works for now.

Did not know they have 10W40 HM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back