What happens when you don't use antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
It surprised me to read in the manual of my Renault that in areas where temperatures might go below freezing you should use antifreeze. Then I read it again recently in the manual for a brand of trucks made in China.

Saturday I pulled the engine out of my Renault and took it apart. Here is a block that has been welded (from the outside) with the remaining crack in the inside, plus the cracked bridge that allowed the cylinder sleeves to become ovaled, scraping the pistons. Also a good look at the rusted water pump that would have been incapable of circulating much water.

page13-1019-full.jpg

page13-1020-full.jpg

page13-1016-full.jpg

page13-1006-full.jpg

yep. it used to be common place to use tap water decades ago (at least down south here in TX) Thats why you will still see old timers top off with tap water in cars/equipment. Also since most equipment have catch bottles now days, top offs are pretty much moot anyway.

i guess other nations are kinda in the same mindset we were then. I have read in new chinese made tractor manuals that "clean river water" is the recommended fill.

Last edited:
The problem for may drivers in tropical climate is the name "antifreeze". Since they never see any temp below 50-60F, they see no need to use antifreeze. They didn't know it is also lubricant and anti-rust too.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The problem for may drivers in tropical climate is the name "antifreeze". Since they never see any temp below 50-60F, they see no need to use antifreeze. They didn't know it is also lubricant and anti-rust too.

Plus it raises your boiling point.

Ofcourse you can se the orange tint from the deathcool in
the pictures, it would never have happened with G05....

Water DOES cool better than antifreeze. But with just plain water, you get massive corrosion. Antifreeze not only keeps the fluid from freezing, it also keeps the corrosion from occurring.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It`s also a lubricant and keeps the water pump,etc lubed.

Which part of the pump is lubricated by the coolant ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It`s also a lubricant and keeps the water pump,etc lubed.

None of it in any pump built in the last 60 years or so.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

The seal. Not a big deal but the seal will last longer than if it was just plain water lubricating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back