What happened to this car?

Thought I'd update with what the issue was. It was seriously just the MAF sensor. I unplugged it while tinkering with it and it runs and drives beautifully now. Plugging it back in makes it skip and shake.

Thought I'd update with what the issue was. It was seriously just the MAF sensor. I unplugged it while tinkering with it and it runs and drives beautifully now. Plugging it back in makes it skip and shake.

I don't know for sure, but without the maf, its running in open loop. So it may be ignoring inputs from other sensors( that may be bad) besides the MAF. Its possible that is is the maf, but not for sure.

Also you added seafoam to the fuel. I would not have added seafoam to old fuel. By adding seafoam and MMO, you are adding oil and alcohol to already degraded fuel, it did not need the oil in seafoam or mmo. I'd have added berryman B-12, more solvent.

Good point. I sold it long ago. It may have been clogged cats as I remember it smelling terrible.

Fuel in a sealed system doesn't go bad like in an unsealed system. My neighbor Buick sat unused for 8 years, to get it running I put a new battery in it and it started right up and ran fine on 8 year old fuel. Today I started my fuel injected Yamaha Rhino for the first time in 2 years, it started up instantly and ran fine. So if the gas cap was installed and intact, as well as the rest of the fuel system, bad fuel should not be the issue.

Fuel in a sealed system doesn't go bad like in an unsealed system. My neighbor Buick sat unused for 8 years, to get it running I put a new battery in it and it started right up and ran fine on 8 year old fuel. Today I started my fuel injected Yamaha Rhino for the first time in 2 years, it started up instantly and ran fine. So if the gas cap was installed and intact, as well as the rest of the fuel system, bad fuel should not be the issue.
Good to know. I've always assumed gas starts to go bad after a few months.

Back