help me diagnose this misfire code

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to check the ignition coil pack. I seem to recall in the past the Duratec and Zetec coil packs were prone to carbon tracking and cracking causing misfires.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by windeye
Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by Trav
.... What scan tool are you using?

Hi, Trav, Tool is Invova 3130.

Okay I looked at it, check the wire with a DVOM it should have about 10K ohms per foot, compare it to a similar length wire also to double check. Move the wire around while testing it to see if the readings drop out.
Change the plug, its probably fouled now anyway..

I will pull the plug and take a look, also check the resistance on the wire.... To answer a question earlier on tail pipe, I don't know, but did not notice any blue or white puffs as I backed out right after it stopped misfiring. Normal cold start does not have either blue (oil) or white (coolant) smoke coming out from tail pipe.

In thinking of injectors, what brand do you guys recommend?

Man are you in luck! Go to Rock Auto and order 6 of the WVE/AIRTEX/WELLS 4G1422 for $16.34ea (I get $16.25 to clean them) I can tell you for a fact they are new Bosch injectors by the 0280 part number. Jump on these right now.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,2000,mpv,2.5l+v6,1359176,fuel+&+air,fuel+injector,6224

I have the same van with 180K on it. Have had a few misfire codes over the 16 years I've owned it. In a dark garage, open the hood and spray a water mist on the plug wires and coil area, look for arcing. One time I had a bad wire(rubbing on corner of intake plenum) one time I had to replace the coil, very cheap from napa if I remember. If plugs were changed but not wires, I'd suspect them. Otherwise pretty bullet proof van.

Man are you in luck! Go to Rock Auto and order 6 of the WVE/AIRTEX/WELLS 4G1422 for $16.34ea (I get $16.25 to clean them) I can tell you for a fact they are new Bosch injectors by the 0280 part number. Jump on these right now.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,2000,mpv,2.5l+v6,1359176,fuel+&+air,fuel+injector,6224

Thanks for the note. I actually checked the site yesterday, they carry Motorcraft injectors, ~$67 a piece. ugh.

Originally Posted by olesmokey
I have the same van with 180K on it. Have had a few misfire codes over the 16 years I've owned it. In a dark garage, open the hood and spray a water mist on the plug wires and coil area, look for arcing. One time I had a bad wire(rubbing on corner of intake plenum) one time I had to replace the coil, very cheap from napa if I remember. If plugs were changed but not wires, I'd suspect them. Otherwise pretty bullet proof van.

wires and ignition module are still original. the van runs really well except for an occasional misfire, have not had any prolonged misfire. every time it misfired, it was one cylinder only, but different cylinder at different times, except for cyl #6 which has never misfired. Usual circumstance for misfiring is that if the van is left for a few days, and at a cold start, it would misfire 1 out probably 50 times. if I start car cold, and shut it down in a few min, say to move car out of garage and then back in, the next morning, it *might* misfire. That's why I suspect injectors. The fuel rail does not have schrader valve to hook up a pressure gauge... I'll have to look at how to monitor fuel pressure.

Thanks for the note. I actually checked the site yesterday, they carry Motorcraft injectors, ~$67 a piece. ugh.

Its the same injector, both are the identical Bosch only one has Motorcraft branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back