What happened to Mobil 1 ESP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was using it in a BMW diesel but now I noticed that it is not recommended as an LL - 04 oil. I noticed, I think, the ash content has gotten a little bit higher, but on the bottles it says it is good to use with a DPF found on diesels today. Well what is so different about the BMWs DPF that this oil cannot be used?

Good question and I don't know the answer. It could be as simple as some arbitrary chemical limit in the oil specification being too low for the new oil to meet, such as sulfated ash or phosphorus content. If someone can post the LL-04 specification, we could maybe pinpoint some aspects that the new oil would fail. It's possible that the oil was tested and failed a performance test but we will never be able to find that out.

Originally Posted by M3m3x5
I was using it in a BMW diesel but now I noticed that it is not recommended as an LL - 04 oil. I noticed, I think, the ash content has gotten a little bit higher, but on the bottles it says it is good to use with a DPF found on diesels today. Well what is so different about the BMWs DPF that this oil cannot be used?

Diesels are going away for BMW so there's no market for them. Besides the BMW dealer (Shell) LL04 is relatively cheap vs the M1.

Originally Posted by RogerBacon
I do not see 229.51 for Mercedes. What happened?

It's there. M1 updated their site.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

Last edited:
What I posted is ESP Formula etc … has LL-04 …

FFCB89DC-F52C-4ABB-A4D3-1166DFABD33C.png

Originally Posted by 4WD
What I posted is ESP Formula etc … has LL-04 …

Right, M1 doesn't market "ESP Formula 5w30" in the US.
21.gif

Its ESP X1 0w30, ESP Formula 0w40, ESP 5w30

Last edited:
Yeah … might even notice the bottle shape (quart vs liter) …

Think the liter is from France …

Originally Posted by edyvw
It is discontinued, unfortunately. New stuff does not look that stout.

Yea, I stocked up on the ESP Formula, made in France stuff. When that runs out, I'm thinking of going with this Castrol

Here

Any comments on the Castrol?

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Diesels are going away for BMW so there's no market for them. Besides the BMW dealer (Shell) LL04 is relatively cheap vs the M1.

Originally Posted by RogerBacon
I do not see 229.51 for Mercedes. What happened?

It's there. M1 updated their site.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-esp

Still plenty of diesel bmw in EU. And the approval porsche c30 is still there. How many diesel porsche do you have in us? The new formula simply cant pass the bmw ll04 test.

There is Castrol 0w-30 c3 that carry the bmw LL04 spec

Originally Posted by edyvw
It is discontinued, unfortunately. New stuff does not look that stout.

Yea, I stocked up on the ESP Formula, made in France stuff. When that runs out, I'm thinking of going with this Castrol

Here

Any comments on the Castrol?

It is good oil, but not on par with old ESP.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

There is Castrol 0w-30 c3 that carry the bmw LL04 spec

Not available in the US. That would probably be best LL04 oil, but Castrol does not export to the US.

I hate to be slow, but exactly what is the difference between the "old" Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and the "new" Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 (other than the bottle shape)?

Indestro

Originally Posted by Indestro
I hate to be slow, but exactly what is the difference between the "old" Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 and the "new" Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 (other than the bottle shape)?

Indestro

Drop in HTHS from 3.58 to 3.5. Ash going from 0.6 to 0.8, and flash point going from 254c to average 230c.
NOACK reportedly on old one was 5.6%, the new one? Who knows, but it is probably average for C3 category. Mobil1 0W40 FS also had increase in NOACK compared to previous VISOM base, so same is to be expected here.
Is new ESP good oil? Yeah. Is it better than average? probably not. The old one just had much better performance than other oils of same category.

Typical M1, reformulations making it NOT the oil it used to be. But they've got so many folks on the bandwagon now they don't have to worry about sales, so many fools still think its the best oil out there...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, M1 is junk these days. It is Nowhere near the oil it used to be. ExxonMobil are greedy, crooks and will cheapen out every opportunity they have.

18.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I've said it before and I'll say it again, M1 is junk these days. It is Nowhere near the oil it used to be. ExxonMobil are greedy, crooks and will cheapen out every opportunity they have.

How do you quantify junk and which oil, in your opinion, is better than M1?

I can't remember who you shill for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back