What happened to battery warranties?

They changed.......Why? Changes are made to save the company money.
Agreed. It's really that simple. Many people still don't seem to comprehend that we are still engaged in a period of change with multi faceted global implications.

Last time I bought batteries was 2 years ago, all 3 were from Costco, regular batts. Warranty was 48 months free replacement and then to 100 months prorated. Paid C$115-125 per batt.
I think the deal is still same at Costco for Kirkland batts.

They seem really low, 2 years? They used to be like 5 years prorated. What is going on?
My WAG is that due to COVID induced changes in work habits some vehicles aren't driven enough and the owners don't use a trickle charger. As a result you have pre-mature failures of perfectly good batteries.

Same technology, more demanding vehicles, batteries crap out sooner, mfg is like whoa...
I don't know. I manage to go through batteries in my 1991 truck every 2 to 3 years. The original battery in my 2015 Jeep, (AGM), lasted 6 years. And the battery in my 2018 Toyota, (FLA), just went south a few weeks ago. (almost 5 years).

funny i was buying a new costco battery for my gf camry, the guy said that they were charging the guy in front of me the price difference between the batteries now vs before covid...When it was my turn I asked how thats legal and apparently a few years back they changed the legalese from "free replacement" to just "warranty" because the price went up with some sort of cop out clause. He said depending on when it was sold, they were replacing them with no up charge. All this to say: the price difference between AGM and regular was about $75 but both were 3 year warranty. At least at walmart the AGM had a 4 year warranty. I bought the regular. Cost: 127 but still about 70 bucks cheaper than AZ.

When I replaced the battery in my Camry AutoZone wanted $209.00, and Walmart was $139.00. Both had similar cranking amps and warranties. Both were flooded lead acid.

Walmart had a AGM for the same price, but FLA is what the vehicle came with.

I have had anywhere from 30 days (OEM replacement, obviously a shorted bad cell / defect) to about 4 years max. The heat kills them here. I do replace them early - I put them on a tester and if the health or internal resistance is getting too close to the edge I buy new. I don't like being stranded.

Excellent point, not laced with political innuendos or assumptions!

Same technology, more demanding vehicles, batteries crap out sooner, mfg is like whoa...
There is nothing about a modern ICE car that is more demanding of a battery. If anything its significantly less. Gear reduction starters, smart regulated alternators, battery rundown protection, auto off headlights, etc.

Back