What grease should I use to lubricate the bush on a lower control arm (on a skoda / VAG)

What grease should I use to lubricate the bush on a lower control arm (on a skoda / VAG)

Before anyone says that the bush doesnt need lubrication, the suspensions creaks when going over speed bumps. A squirt of silicone spray cures the issue (for a few weeks) before it come back.

The official Volkswagen/Skoda fix is to lubricate the lower control arm bush with "lithium grease" with part no (G 052 150 A2). This is very expensive from VW, a google shows this is " Brake Anti-Squeal Paste". I dont think there is any grease on at the moment (just the silicone spray)

What is the best / correct stuff to lubricate a rubber bush? Is lithium grease harmful to rubber (I read conflicting info)? Should something like red rubber grease be used (which you would use on brake calipers). Can anyone recommend what to use, or work out what the generic version of the stuff VW use is? (that is oK with rubber)

Last edited:
If you can, clean out the original grease in it and pump in red grease, it is said that lithium grease and red grease is not compatible with each other, if you can find silicone grease, I would use that, it wont do anything to the rubber.

Before anyone says that the bush doesnt need lubrication, the suspensions creaks when going over speed bumps. A squirt of silicone spray cures the issue (for a few weeks) before it come back.

The official Volkswagen/Skoda fix is to lubricate the lower control arm bush with "lithium grease" with part no (G 052 150 A2). This is very expensive from VW, a google shows this is " Brake Anti-Squeal Paste". I dont think there is any grease on at the moment (just the silicone spray)

What is the best / correct stuff to lubricate a rubber bush? Is lithium grease harmful to rubber (I read conflicting info)? Should something like red rubber grease be used (which you would use on brake calipers). Can anyone recommend what to use, or work out what the generic version of the stuff VW use is? (that is oK with rubber)
The rubber is dried out. Replacing the bushings is the only long-term solution.

Just buy the correct grease as you’ve said the TPI tells you what to do. It’s a big tube so you will have plenty left for future use. Make sure you push it in from the top until it’s coming through to the bottom.

There are several silicone brake greases out there. Here is one that is not very expensive. I use it on my brake pins and slides.

7C1846EC-CF37-4793-AEC7-B4654FE6DB02.jpeg
01878E15-7D7B-4AF3-B027-D667D1C5E298.jpeg

VW is using the term Lithium grease generically, do not use just any old grease that has Lithium on the tube. The VW grease G 052 150 A2 does not contain mineral oil and can be used as a brake caliper assembly lube for the internal seals.
The bushing I suspect (because VW has an official "fix" for it) is a hybrid compound bushing that is rotational meaning the inner steel tube is not bonded to the rubber like a conventional compound bushing, but more similar to PU bushings.

I dont know the composition of the VW lube but this is an alternative that meets G 052 150 A2. Do not use Never Seize, it is not an alternative!

Another alternative.

Last edited:
As usual our Russian counterparts over at Oil-Club.ru have already put in the hard work on this one.

VW G 052 150 A2 is Polyglycol based with a Lithium complex soap thickener, the Polyglycol being the important part here and what makes it rubber safe. It was and may still be Fuchs RENOLIT LX-PG 2, or an equivilant from another manufacturer.

Any Glycol / PAG based brake grease should work fine as a substitute.

The rubber is dried out. Replacing the bushings is the only long-term solution.
The parts are not old. Affects new bushes - know issue on VAG MQB platform cars - VW have issued the Technical note to lubricate as the official action.

This?

I have done something similar on other vehicles with this style of horizontal bushing. It rarely lasts - it is a short-term fix, if anything. Replacing the bushings has solved the issue every time for me.

Any rubber safe grease

I'd just use silicone grease.. common to brake systems.

Don't overthink it. VW is just using something in their parts inventory.

Without the MSDS, I wouldn't use any old lithium grease or spray. It might be a lithium glycol grease or PAG type, as mentioned above. Toyota also has one. Nothing special and doesn't work as well as 'bragged'.

I'd recommend Superlube:

Not everyone has 'parts replacement' in budget. Not sure what is available in your country at what price point. So, if you can't replace bushing or upgrade to poly bushing, or maybe even damaged it more with the carrier fluid in the spray lithium grease, then consider any silicone brake grease available to you.

Specifically, what year make model mileage vehicle? what bushing PN? front/rear?

Back