What Grease For a Handgun Suppressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!
I know cross posting is frowned upon, but this is such a specific question I didn't know which place exactly it should go. I left a note in the post for the mods in case one needs to go. At any rate, below is a copy of the thread I created in the grease sub forum. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
RR

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello all,

I'm posing this question to you guys as the authority on grease to see what you come up with as the one I should use for my suppressors. The grease needed will be used to lubricate the piston system in the suppressor, otherwise know as a Nielson Device or LID ( linear inertial decoupler. The grease will be subjected to the main blast from the muzzle of the pistol as well as reciprocating mechanical motion.

I called a couple of the manufacturers of suppressors to ask what they use and as I expected they didn't have the best reasons as to why they chose what they recommended. The reason always was, "That's what we've had the best luck with". Here's what I was recommended, in no particular order:

Lucas White Lithium Grease
Loctite Viper Lube
Mobil 1 synthetic chassis grease ( ? )
HAWG Grease

All but HAWG grease have MSDS sheets available and I have become weary of products who hold secret raw data like that as snake oil, I could be wrong though.

here is a link to the HAWG grease for reference:
https://randclp.com/product/hawg-grease-4oz/

HAWG GREASE

From a grease standpoint, in my application, what should I be looking for?

Should I be concerned with the highest melting point, boiling point and flash points? what do those even mean? Do I need synthetic? Is lithium automatically synthetic? Do I have to buy something specific that plays well with the Titanium, Stainless Steel, Inconel and aluminum that these things are made of? How bout the Viton O ring friendly?

I know whatever grease is used will only be good for maybe 100-200 rounds before it either burns off or looses effectiveness, so to some degree the cost of grease may be some what of a factor too.

Anyway, please let me know what you guys think and what I could potentially use. I'll leave a few pics for those who aren't familiar with what I'm talking about. In addition, I will post this in the firearms section as well for those members who may not reach this sub forum. Mods, if one thread must be deleted I'll leave it to you to decide where you think the topic belongs for the most help.

Thanks in advance,
RR

Here is the assembly laid out
35n080p.png

Here is a close up of the pistons. the splines will make contact inside the suppressor bottom
2lx9i1i.png

here we are looking from the bottom of the suppressor, can you see the contact points the splines from the piston recess into?
2w72t4z.png

This is news to me, i didn't know we had pistons in suppressors. The only thing i will add to the discussion, is that personally i would avoid HAWG grease because its made by Rand CLP, which the owner is pretty much anti 2nd amendment. He has said before in live chats that he doesn't care about laws, rights, he just wants whatever is best for his pocket...and that is really infuriating....

I would start by finding out what is the highest temperature this thing is going to be running at? (For example, several magazines put through it rapid fire). And go from there. You don't want to utilize a low temperature grease that won't hold up to high temps, and end up getting most of it blown out the muzzle. I too never knew there were "pistons" in these things. There is a suppressor forum you might want to consult. Most guys here don't have them, but will have opinions regardless. I think you'll get better information here:

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/

There can't be that many moving parts in a suppressor... why does it need grease? What brand of suppressor is this? I've never seen one with this design.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Probably this stuff

41w1ipZNTkL.jpg

I saw a can of that on top of the used oil tank at O'Reilly... always wondered what it was!

Originally Posted By: dogememe

41w1ipZNTkL.jpg

I saw a can of that on top of the used oil tank at O'Reilly... always wondered what it was! [/quote]

Lithium Molybdenum grease, used by the military in specific applications. Excellent stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back