What flowers do you have in your yard?

The flowers are starting to pop and it made me think how many love varied flowers in their yard. I am a perennial guy and wanted a variety for butterflies, bees and hummingbirds. Here is what I have:
Day lilies and Asian lilies
Butterfly bushes
Lilac bush
Gerber daisy
Dahlia
Salvia
Butterfly weed and milk weed
Cone flowers
Iris
Weigela
Lucifer Plant
Wild flowers

so what do you all have and why?

We have a fully landscaped one acre (did it all myself, took about 10 years in total). Our wisteria attracts A380-sized bumblebees and the 71 trees we have make it a bird sanctuary.

Scott

IMG_0088.JPG

When my mother built her new house on 1 acre in 1996, I knew what it would mean but I zipped my lip. She started with several evergreen trees, two maple trees, several holly bushes and what has become the ugliest pink rose bush I have ever seen which just refuses to die and one late lilac bush. We also have other flowers that seem to just appear out of nowhere...tiger lilies and others I can't begin to name.

Bushes need trimmed too often, leaves need raked and everything is a pain to drive the mower around. The lilacs are pretty for only a short time, otherwise it is just a hiding place for the resident rabbits (be careful you don't track their waste into the house). For years I have been in a losing battle with the "weeds" that grow inside the evergreens and are slowly killing them. They are in fact wild mulberry trees.

I wish she had none of it and I would tear it all out if I could. This area is plenty green as it is and is in fact the remains of a vast forest that was here centuries ago. Mother Nature never did need anything added here and what did get put here is proving to be quite a pain in the _ _ _.

Not many activities I find more boring and teadious than yardwork. Especially weeding and tending to plants & flowers. Mowing and trimming is enough for me with a couple of potted flowers (geraniums, petuniia, and such on the patio and porch).

I do have over 100 (perennial) daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, snowdrops and other spring flowers than bloom early in March/April (when flowers are most appreciated by me 🙂).

lilac, butterfly bush, tiger lilies daisies, assorted potted flowers and elm, maple. popular white pine, oak trees and a few that i have no idea what they are

have a little under a half acre lot in the burbs...we are first owners...planted about 50 trees and shrubs, roses, lilacs, serviceberry redbud, fir, arborvitae, swamp white oak, shingle oak, dawn redwood, bald cyprus, birch, flowering crabs....plant annuals out front every year, have snapdragons this year in front of roses, also keep a window box and a few pots out front and back.

Biggest challenge is weeding all the mulch beds. Originally converted large swaths of lawn to mulch beds in thought that it would be less work...Wrong!.. the dam mulch beds seem to grow weed like magic and the mulch disappears shortly after laying it...it's the maintenance chore that Never ends!

Oh no. I'll post what flowers are in my yard and then ne'er-do-well BITOGers will be cruising neighborhoods to find my house and steal my stash. Hockey sticks NO!

have a little under a half acre lot in the burbs...we are first owners...planted about 50 trees and shrubs, roses, lilacs, serviceberry redbud, fir, arborvitae, swamp white oak, shingle oak, dawn redwood, bald cyprus, birch, flowering crabs....plant annuals out front every year, have snapdragons this year in front of roses, also keep a window box and a few pots out front and back.

Biggest challenge is weeding all the mulch beds. Originally converted large swaths of lawn to mulch beds in thought that it would be less work...Wrong!.. the dam mulch beds seem to grow weed like magic and the mulch disappears shortly after laying it...it's the maintenance chore that Never ends!
Might try something like Preen to keep weeds down.

I have all kinds of flowers, bushes, trees and such all over my property. My wife selected the bushes and flowers. I don't really know what a lot of them are, I am just subject to tending it all. 😬

Back