What filter have same spec and design as the MC FL820s .

Status
Not open for further replies.
What other oil filter that sharing same spec and design as MC FL820s . I like how the ADBV design is right on the thread and not at the bottom. Any other filter share this same design and spec ? Thanks .

FL820s is my all time favorite . Sad it having the tear issue . What make me like so much because the design of the ADBv on the thread.

You're actually looking for thread end bypass, the ADBV (orange silicone or black nitrile) is always on the threads. Sadly, I don't know of any other thread end bypass equivalent filters, the Wix 51372/NAPA 1372 used to be, but they're dome end like all the rest. I've never loaded up an XG2 enough to fill the (angled) dome with anything, but I have a clean (inside) engine, thankfully.

Yeah, I don't know of any other filter off hand anymore that has the thread end bypass.
As said, Wix used to, and I think a long time ago Mobil 1 filters did too, but not any more.

Depending on the orientation of the filter, it may or may not make a difference though.
On both the F150's I change oil on, the filter is dome end down, so a dome end bypass is a "bad" thing if it goes into bypass as debris can be forced back into the engine unfiltered.
I always have debris in my filter when I cut them open, so it is apparently not getting forced back into the engine if I am having bypass events.

Spec'd for the same vehicles - Fram Ultra XG2 I used them for 15 years on my mustang. Zero issues.

Maybe a Ford Racing FL-820S? Never seen one of those tear. Has all the good specs. Silicone valve and seal, thread end bypass and 625 psi burst rating. 99% @ 20um.

A Baldwin B329 has a thread end bypass last time I checked, but a nitrile anti-drainback valve unfortunately. Baldwin actually invented the thread end bypass in 1970.

F595516C-C571-4ABD-AF0A-360BFD1AC22F.png

28E180DE-73F0-4E19-A919-83325F376C66.png

Originally Posted by cronk
I thought I read on here a few months ago the Wix/napa gold were switching to thread end bypass for this application?

We rotate stock at work pretty often and burn through 51372 Wix filters on cop cars and service trucks. They still have dome end bypass up until now, and they are labeled Mann+Hummel. They are recent.

The FL-500S has a base end bypass valve. The Coyote in the Mustang use to call for the FL-820S up thru 2014 I believe, then Ford specified the FL-500S for the 2015+ Mustang with the Coyote. I think the bypass valve is set higher in the FL-500S, but that wouldn't be a bad thing. Most filter makers seem to be going with higher bypass settings these days. The FL-500S Motorcrafts seem to hold up better than the FL-820S based on C&Ps posted here.

As far as the Wix/Napa Gold equivalent goes, since I joined this site, as long as I can remember I had not seen an anecdote posted showing the 5/1372 using thread end bypass. It's been one of the exceptions to the majority Wix/Napa Gold filters with thread end bypass. One speculation was it had something to with a patent rights or something similar.

However a couple years ago there was an 820S equivalent FoMoCo factory filter anecdote posted, made by Wix that had traditional thread end bypass.

Then at the beginning of this year there was a 51372 posted shown using thread end bypass. That would be a relatively recent change. My comments about it in linked thread showing the 51372*. My speculation, the change to Wix as factory filter provider may be a factor.

Wix 51372 with Thread End Bypass.

Bosch steeltech 3410 at Oreillys has the thread end bypass, and appears to be a wix made filter, not purolator.

a bit pricey, but I'd try it once and cut it open.

Are ford racing is better design and quality or it's tricky design for racing only ( high flow ) ..

Originally Posted by 69Torino
Maybe a Ford Racing FL-820S? Never seen one of those tear. Has all the good specs. Silicone valve and seal, thread end bypass and 625 psi burst rating. 99% @ 20um.

A Baldwin B329 has a thread end bypass last time I checked, but a nitrile anti-drainback valve unfortunately. Baldwin actually invented the thread end bypass in 1970.

OREILLY is 1 miles down the street of me . I will swing by to check it out .

Originally Posted by Black_Thunder
Bosch steeltech 3410 at Oreillys has the thread end bypass, and appears to be a wix made filter, not purolator.

a bit pricey, but I'd try it once and cut it open.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Spec'd for the same vehicles - Fram Ultra XG2 I used them for 15 years on my mustang. Zero issues.

I switched to Fram too because of the sloppy construction of the 820s.

Last edited:
I check it out too

Originally Posted by Sayjac
As far as the Wix/Napa Gold equivalent goes, since I joined this site, as long as I can remember I had not seen an anecdote posted showing the 5/1372 using thread end bypass. It's been one of the exceptions to the majority Wix/Napa Gold filters with thread end bypass. One speculation was it had something to with a patent rights or something similar.

However a couple years ago there was an 820S equivalent FoMoCo factory filter anecdote posted, made by Wix that had traditional thread end bypass.

Then at the beginning of this year there was a 51372 posted shown using thread end bypass. That would be a relatively recent change. My comments about it in linked thread showing the 51372*. My speculation, the change to Wix as factory filter provider may be a factor.

Wix 51372 with Thread End Bypass.

Just back from OREILLY . Unfortunately both wix 51372 or Bosch steeltech 3140 both have bottom ADBv and both look exactly the same

A6609C7D-C397-4932-9386-BF9FF71C78C2.jpeg

A1BC2F11-AF54-4333-AD46-418294460BB7.jpeg

73170240-72A5-40EE-8C88-FB5714A5035F.jpeg

FBE7E14F-813F-4326-9451-789B638DFDCE.jpeg

I thought I read on here a few months ago the Wix/napa gold were switching to thread end bypass for this application?

I had that one white with thread end bypass. Must have been an oddball because I haven't seen one like it since.

well darn they must have switched the Steel-techs to dome end bypass with the regular wix's

this was awhile ago but I did look at a steel tech when I was at Oreilly's for some reason and the one I looked at was a thread-end bypass.

I wanted to try one because of the thread end bypass and it was Wix made......with that price better off going with a regular wix thats a smidge cheaper.

I honestly doubt the 4.6 will ever know the difference between any of them. I bought a bunch of Fram EG and UG. I think I have one 820S left over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back