What Factors Are Swaying EV Adoption in the U.S.?

It's hard to beat some of these new hybrid ICE from Toyota and Honda.
Totally agree. I been looking at both companies hybrids for quite a while now and am pretty impressed .... just not quite with the prices yet,. As much as I am opposed to anyone telling us what vehicle types we must purchase (seems that could be where this all ends up) , I am certainly a fan of the Hybrid vehicle idea. Those vehicles seem so smart as not only an alternative to ICE but especially as a common sense transition for all of the folks on the fence about the whole idea of EVs. Why does governement (just about all in the western world) always have to put the cart before the horse for any new ventures or ideas they become involved with. All anyone needs to look at when interested in success or failures of gov intervention is to simply look at the shape of the USPS in America.... No reason for that "business" that has a guaranteed/built in customer base should ever be in the miserable mess they keep telling us they are in.

Last edited:
Absolutely and that new Prius looks pretty darn good.
Over a year ago, consumer reports to the course analysis of strictly EV against hybrid.
In many cases, hybrid was more cost effective.
I suspect hybrid is the solution versus lithium battery powered cars.

Everybody on planet Earth was trashing Toyota over that mythology only a year ago and it turns out they were the one company that got it right

I don’t think either are the solution, but they are both an answer to something. If overall emissions are the enemy, rampant consumerism and consumption are the bigger issue. The best any of us can do is what makes the most financial sense and save us time. For us it was and EV and home charging. Our power is relatively cheap and not stopping for fuel is a benefit. It probably didn’t help the environment to build another car, but it’s saved us money. The answer will be different for everyone based on their wants and needs.

I personally think Toyota is afraid of change because their reputation is built on reliability. That’s why they’re two steps behind everyone else in EV production. It still makes a good product. It doesn’t make the best product for everyone though. I’d still prefer full ICE or EV. I find the constant start/stop to be irritating and lacking refinement.

Hybrids may use less lithium, but they still use it. They also burn fuel. The whole thing is muddy when it comes to facts. There’s way too many parts and suppliers involved. A Prius is probably a decent example, but not every hybrid is the best choice. Just look at the Tundra Hybrid. Gets worse fuel economy than some of its full ICE competition. Good thing they found a use of that lithium battery.

Totally agree. I been looking at both companies hybrids for quite a while now and am pretty impressed .... just not quite with the prices yet,. As much as I am opposed to anyone telling us what vehicle types we must purchase (seems that could be where this all ends up) , I am certainly a fan of the Hybrid vehicle idea. Those vehicles seem so smart as not only an alternative to ICE but especially as a common sense transition for all of the folks on the fence about the whole idea of EVs. Why does governement (just about all in the western world) always have to put the cart before the horse for any new ventures or ideas they become involved with. All anyone needs to look at when interested in success or failures of gov intervention is to simply look at the shape of the USPS in America.... No reason for that "business" that has a guaranteed/built in customer base should ever be in the miserable mess they keep telling us they are in.
It’s the standard procedure for emissions and CAFE. We were going to get here eventually. There’s more cars than ever on the road and our air is cleaner than it ever has in time since it was implemented. I don’t like being told what to do either, but it’s working. It’s not an argument any of us will get to win. The car companies would not have done it out of the goodness of their hearts.

We all could have taken a different path to get here. If the two tiered CAFE standard hadn’t happened, we probably could have done it with smaller vehicles. The cat’s out of the bag. This is the solution that meets the standards they put forth. A couple more bumps up and the hybrids won’t meet standard either.

I don’t think either are the solution, but they are both an answer to something. If overall emissions are the enemy
This is key, to me anyway. Automobile Emissions are not the enemy anymore, the air is clean, but the population is ignorant and we cant talk politics in here.
The factual data on sources of earth warming emissions and destruction of the planet and percentages of where they come from are all over the internet for the greenies who wish to educate themselves. BTW- the population of the USA is a small, fraction of the world population and we are not going to save the world if one thinks they are.
(this is NOT in anyway directed at you)

BTW- GM reported earnings this morning, off the wall fantastic. I suspect Toyota will be the same and tonight, when Tesla reports I am sure it will be another expected bad report. This is why I am surprised that you think Toyota is behind EV development, maybe they are just building cars people want and that the masses afford?

Last edited:
IMG_7632.jpeg

Funny but you do know that no automaker covers damage from car washes.

Car Wash mode isn't anything special either.

"If taking Cybertruck to an automatic car wash is necessary, Car Wash Mode closes all windows, locks the charge port, and disables windshield wipers, Sentry Mode, and walk-away door locking. To enable, touch Controls > Car Wash. Your vehicle must be stationary and not actively charging.

If using an automatic car wash, Enable Free Roll keeps your vehicle in Neutral and activates free roll for the duration of the wash, while preventing Cybertruck from applying the Parking brake if you leave the driver's seat. To enable, press on the brake pedal and touch Enable Free Roll; or shift into Neutral.

Car Wash Mode disables if the vehicle's speed exceeds 9 mph (15 km/h) or by touching Exit on the touchscreen.

CAUTION
Failure to put Cybertruck in Car Wash Mode may result in damage (for example, to the charge port or windshield wipers). Damage caused by car washes is not covered by the warranty."

I think it was real. Let me double check to make sure I'm not spreading fake news LOL.
I'm pretty sure it's real, I don't think you'd spread fake news. ;) It amazes me people actually bought that thing, that's the real joke imo. But hey it's their money and they can spend it how they see fit.

This is key, to me anyway. Automobile Emissions are not the enemy anymore, the air is clean, but the population is ignorant and we cant talk politics in here.
The factual data on sources of earth warming emissions and destruction of the planet and percentages of where they come from are all over the internet for the greenies who wish to educate themselves. BTW- the population of the USA is a small, fraction of the world population and we are not going to save the world if one thinks they are.

BTW- GM reported earnings this morning, off the wall fantastic. I suspect Toyota will be the same and tonight, when Tesla reports I am sure it will be another expected bad report. This is why I am surprised that you think Toyota is behind EV development, maybe they are just building cars people want and that the masses afford?
Come on now. You know you're being selective in what you think is important. The issue is total GHG emissions and population size is irrelevant.

The US emits almost 2x the co2 per capita compared to China and is No 2 in total emissions (Behind China). (Per Capita) (Per Country)

I bet the US imports more CO2 than it exports being that it has a trade deficit with China

Car Wash mode isn't anything special either.

"If taking Cybertruck to an automatic car wash is necessary, Car Wash Mode closes all windows, locks the charge port, and disables windshield wipers, Sentry Mode, and walk-away door locking. To enable, touch Controls > Car Wash. Your vehicle must be stationary and not actively charging.

If using an automatic car wash, Enable Free Roll keeps your vehicle in Neutral and activates free roll for the duration of the wash, while preventing Cybertruck from applying the Parking brake if you leave the driver's seat. To enable, press on the brake pedal and touch Enable Free Roll; or shift into Neutral.
I have a Model 3. Seems you should use "car wash mode" when you're washing your car in the driveway. You don't use the "free roll" option of course.

That blocks off the interior air entry (which keeps the interior air filters dry) and keeps the charging port closed (which otherwise keeps popping open whenever you touch it - just as it's designed to do).

Come on now. You know you're being selective in what you think is important. The issue is total GHG emissions and population size is irrelevant.

The US emits almost 2x the co2 per capita compared to China and is No 2 in total emissions (Behind China). (Per Capita) (Per Country)

I bet the US imports more CO2 than it exports being that it has a trade deficit with China
and ... sources?

Even though the China example sounds dramatic the USA produces 12% of the worlds CO2 and is down from its peak of over 50% in the 1950s
AS the rest of the world catches up that 12% will shrink further.

Transportation includes ALL forms, planes, trains, automobiles, trucks and ships = less than 30% ... Electric power and industry = 50% or 25% on its own, and FAR exceeds the CO2 produced by the average American automobile nation wide which contributes about less than 15% of the 28%.
Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 9.54.14 AM.jpg

But bottom line is, I could care less! Automobiles are now at low levels of CO2 output and far less dangerous then other forms such as methane. Im not willing to let powers that be ruin my standard of living for their agenda based on nothing but that agenda.
Life goes on ... enjoy. Im not going back to the Stone Age.

Here are the facts, who is being selective? We are punishing hard working families based on an agenda for an automobile that produces less 15% of the CO2 that the USA generates and that agenda has no clear solution other than to build more fossils fuel power plants to reliably charge extremely toxic lithium batteries mined from almost slave labor camps. Not to mention the increase in eh CO2 emissions that will be needed from the power plants to charge the EV. *LOL*

Last edited:
and ... sources?

Even though the China example sounds dramatic the USA produces 12% of the worlds CO2 and is down from its peak of over 50% in the 1950s
AS the rest of the world catches up that 12% will shrink further.

Transportation includes ALL forms, planes, trains, automobiles, trucks and ships = less than 30% ... Electric power and industry = 50% or 25% on its own, and FAR exceeds the CO2 produced by the average American automobile nation wide which contributes about less than 15% of the 28%.
View attachment 215679

But bottom line is, I could care less! Automobiles are now at low levels of CO2 output and far less dangerous then other forms such as methane. Im not willing to let powers that be ruin my standard of living for their agenda based on nothing but that agenda.
Life goes on ... enjoy. Im not going back to the Stone Age.

Here are the facts, who is being selective? We are punishing hard working families based on an agenda for an automobile that produces less 15% of the CO2 that the USA generates and that agenda has no clear solution other than to build more fossils fuel power plants to reliably charge extremely toxic lithium batteries mined from almost slave labor camps. Not to mention the increase in eh CO2 emissions that will be needed from the power plants to charge the EV. *LOL*
The sources are in my post.

30% is still significant and you'd be remiss to suggest that only light duty cars and trucks within the sector are being targeted for emissions reductions. In addition you cannot deny that the aim has been to reduce emissions in totality.

Everyone is hard working btw.

Last edited:

Cars are clean now, we can stop the emissions push is not a phrase that will come out. It’s going to be stuck with the same brain dead approach as corporate profits, especially as more cars hit the road. It’s not our call and I don’t think at this point voting would change it. Cars are required to get cleaner to make up for more cars being on the road. Emissions really don’t seem to be a problem to meet. It’s CAFE that’s doing this at least now. Car companies are fighting to make corporate averages. How’s it bad to have a goal to meet better fuel economy? I will say the whole system should be revamped though. You know my distain for the inadvertent super sizing of the average vehicle because of the poor way the two tiered standard is written.

Toyota is behind in EV development because they don’t have a focused effort on it. I don’t even think EVs have to be the future. It’s not an attack or slight against Toyota. They just don’t have multiple new EV products announced for market and the one they do have has a poor reception. Toyota has had a good overall track record of reliability by sticking with older technology and making more incremental changes for that reason. They have a much different business model as a result. If the EV push continues it may not serve them as well in the future, but we won’t know until we get there.

Cars are clean now, we can stop the emissions push is not a phrase that will come out. It’s going to be stuck with the same brain dead approach as corporate profits, especially as more cars hit the road. It’s not our call and I don’t think at this point voting would change it. Cars are required to get cleaner to make up for more cars being on the road. Emissions really don’t seem to be a problem to meet. It’s CAFE that’s doing this at least now. Car companies are fighting to make corporate averages. How’s it bad to have a goal to meet better fuel economy? I will say the whole system should be revamped though. You know my distain for the inadvertent super sizing of the average vehicle because of the poor way the two tiered standard is written.

Toyota is behind in EV development because they don’t have a focused effort on it. I don’t even think EVs have to be the future. It’s not an attack or slight against Toyota. They just don’t have multiple new EV products announced for market and the one they do have has a poor reception. Toyota has had a good overall track record of reliability by sticking with older technology and making more incremental changes for that reason. They have a much different business model as a result. If the EV push continues it may not serve them as well in the future, but we won’t know until we get there.
Im not so sure Toyota is behind vs producing the vehicles that the masses want right now and the profits their shareholders want. After all the stock is now at an all time high up 70% in the last year and still trades at only 10 times earnings. Maybe as their earnings and sales numbers keep rolling along they will slowly build out EV offerings.

GM and Ford went gangbusters on EV development and plans only to realize they did too much for what the demand was and cut back. Even though (at first glance today) of 1st quarter results EV sales are up 15% they did take a charge of about a billion plus dollars for unsold ones on lots. Still their profits for the quarter blew away the 1st quarter of 2023 and exceeded all predictions due to ICE. Now with their paired down expectations they will still churn out EVs but not like what was planned. I could be wrong but I think they are refocusing on hybrids like Toyota.

Back