What Factors Are Swaying EV Adoption in the U.S.?

I drove past the two EV chargers at the Petrocan gas station on highway 1 west of Calgary yesterday. Petrocan allegedly has enough charge locations to take a typical EV across Canada on highway one. I always glance over to see what’s happening. As usual, no one was charging. Also, the temp was 5 F. The market penetration for long distance EV driving is still not there in Western Canada along the main east/west highway. Also, those chargers in Alberta are mostly supplied by power derived from coal and gas. Time will tell.
wouldn't it be nice. sitting in a parking lot at 5f with kids and waiting for a charge so you can drive on to the nexy plug in IF you can find one.

I drove past the two EV chargers at the Petrocan gas station on highway 1 west of Calgary yesterday. Petrocan allegedly has enough charge locations to take a typical EV across Canada on highway one. I always glance over to see what’s happening. As usual, no one was charging. Also, the temp was 5 F. The market penetration for long distance EV driving is still not there in Western Canada along the main east/west highway. Also, those chargers in Alberta are mostly supplied by power derived from coal and gas. Time will tell.
Here are the details on the Petrocanada gas station chargers. Right now they cost about 25 cents per minute US equivalent. Something seems wrong in their description on how long each charger rate takes to charge a car.

628FF81F-53B8-4533-BC7D-F69E9C2F7BD1.png

Last edited:
ChargePoint public chargers require a ChargePoint account, and the handle locks when the last user returns it. They have a record of your visit too. I cant see how gas stations can go unattended with the way some people behave, but I guess there are some. Seems like a recipe for a disaster. Even the ChargePoint where you are supposed to return the handle to the holder and it locks, some people just lay the handle over the cables. Some people just drop the handle on the ground and leave. I saw a guy once banging the handle on the cement, don’t know what his issue was but the charger was out of service the next time. I can’t imagine unattended free to play with gas hoses.

ChargePoint public chargers require a ChargePoint account, and the handle locks when the last user returns it. They have a record of your visit too. I cant see how gas stations can go unattended with the way some people behave, but I guess there are some. Seems like a recipe for a disaster. Even the ChargePoint where you are supposed to return the handle to the holder and it locks, some people just lay the handle over the cables. Some people just drop the handle on the ground and leave. I saw a guy once banging the handle on the cement, don’t know what his issue was but the charger was out of service the next time. I can’t imagine unattended free to play with gas hoses.

I've seen unattended gas stations before. There's one here that can't get enough personnel and has a single shift, but then is unattended and operating 24/7 with pay at the pump. I believe deliveries have to occur when there's an employee present.

But of course the key is that these are subject to vandalism, and if it's by a registered user it can be tracked if someone uses it then abuses it - especially since many are monitored by cameras.

No electric car can go 350miles at todays highway speeds. Regardless of cost. 220 is the real and practical highway limit. With enough cushion to reach a charger.

drove fast with a model 3 performance on the highway and he did not even make 180 miles. That’s reality.
I disagree. InsideEVs did their 70 MPH (113 km/h) freeway range test on the Lucid Air Dream R and hit exactly 500 miles. EPA range rated at 520 miles.

400 miles with a good buffer and/or not charging fully to 100% is very realistic for the Lucid.

I’m waiting for this performance to be $60k, not $160k+.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/562511/lucid-air-range-test-record/

It obliterates Tesla and Porsche. Hopefully we see a new Model 3 with >100 kWh of 4680s soon. That’ll be a good start.
0D389E7C-0309-4621-85A2-AEC9F8C04B16.png

Last edited:
I disagree. InsideEVs did their 70 MPH freeway range test on the Lucid Air Dream R and hit exactly 500 miles. EPA range rated at 520 miles.

400 miles with a good buffer and/or not charging fully to 100% is very realistic for the Lucid.

It obliterates Tesla and Porsche. Hopefully we see a new Model 3 with >100 kWh of 4680s soon. That’ll be a good start.
View attachment 85709

Impressive. Would be nice if they produced an updated chart that showed mi/kWh for each of the vehicles tested.

So given that

(a) strip mining for the lithium to put in these batteries is an environmental disaster

(b) it still requires gas/coal/nuclear fueled power plants to generate the electricity to charge the batteries.

(c) the current nationwide electrical grid isn't set up to support massive adoption of electric vehicles

(d) charge times are measured in hours instead of minutes ( to refuel a petrol vehicle ) with dismal distances per charge

(e) end of life for the battery is made up of toxic environmental contaminants . . . and replacement battery packs aren't cheap

. . . the advantages of the electric vehicle is what, exactly ??

Well, in global regions with high percentages of renewable electricity they could potentially reduce CO2 emissions in the transportation sector. That is the primary goal. If you're not clear as to why that's a good thing then more study is required on your part. It's certainly not straightforward or intuitive, unfortunately.

Well, in global regions with high percentages of renewable electricity they could potentially reduce CO2 emissions in the transportation sector. That is the primary goal. If you're not clear as to why that's a good thing then more study is required on your part. It's certainly not straightforward or intuitive, unfortunately.
High percentages of LOW EMISSIONS electricity. Renewables are not a prerequisite for that and the greenest grids are dominated by nuclear and or/hydro, see: France, Ontario, Sweden, Quebec...etc. Finland is bringing a 1.6GW reactor online this month, which will greatly reduce their emissions (they have a little under 3GW presently, and it's their largest source).

I disagree. InsideEVs did their 70 MPH (113 km/h) freeway range test on the Lucid Air Dream R and hit exactly 500 miles. EPA range rated at 520 miles.

View attachment 85709

Every week, sometimes twice per week, I drive from Florida, to various destinations North of FL. Not once have I been in 70mph traffic. I had the cruise control at its limit in the rental accord today and was among the slowest on the road. 70 is way too slow on I-95.

I will not post pictures or video, but I will state that even the FL troopers haul-but and do not generally hold up or slow traffic.

But I do stand corrected, there is apparently one hand built near $200k car that can exceed 220 high speed highway range. At least in warm weather.

Last edited:
So given that

(a) strip mining for the lithium to put in these batteries is an environmental disaster

(b) it still requires gas/coal/nuclear fueled power plants to generate the electricity to charge the batteries.

(c) the current nationwide electrical grid isn't set up to support massive adoption of electric vehicles

(d) charge times are measured in hours instead of minutes ( to refuel a petrol vehicle ) with dismal distances per charge

(e) end of life for the battery is made up of toxic environmental contaminants . . . and replacement battery packs aren't cheap

1) As I mentioned previously. The world's oil production used to be mainly US + our allies, now we also have a lot of Russian oil supplying NATOs. Plus China and Japan would rather have coal and nuclear powered transportation than importing oil from questionable partners (Russia, ME, nations that can blockade their oceanliners, etc) There are many places on earth try to get off oil but there aren't too many realistic choices until EV becomes better.

2) There are a lot of capacity to generate if you have a way to use up all the cheap kwh, charging is a good way to use up those idle capacity, if your battery capacity is enough for multiple days of commute.

3) You can charge for 15 mins, you can charge for 11 hours, it is up to you and where you go. One thing for sure is you have to take an EV as what it is instead of compare it to a horse (need sleep), a plane (need 2 hours check-in before your flight), a train (you need to use the schedule they have), a gasoline car (expensive gas price coming soon, lots of stuff you need maintenance on, etc). There are all sorts of transportation changes in human civilization and we no longer ride horses. I am sure people going from horses to train and street cars back then had the same concern, but eventually civilization found a way.

4) There are all sorts of end of life problem with every energy source, we are always picking the lesser of multiple evils. Don't forget oil isn't always clean and we too have spills and wars due to them. So if you want to minimize eco footprint, have fewer kids, that's IMO the only realistic thing we can do.

Every week, sometimes twice per week, I drive from Florida, to various destinations North of FL. Not once have I been in 70mph traffic. I had the cruise control at its limit in the rental accord today and was among the slowest on the road. 70 is way too slow on I-95.

I will not post pictures or video, but I will state that even the FL troopers haul-but and do not generally hold up or slow traffic.

But I do stand corrected, there is apparently one hand built near $200k car that can exceed 220 high speed highway range. At least in warm weather.

Most people understand that EVs are great if you buy them for commuting, or a toy if you are buying them to enjoy life with. Like crewcabs with 18mpg or Prius with 55mpg but butt ugly and minimal trunk space, they are not for everyone.

Talking about the most popular transportation (outside of public transit) in the world, they are probably gasoline scooters / vaspa / mopeds. Cheap to own, not much space to park, easy to use for daily rides, but you won't even use them to go 100 miles away or go 70mph on a freeway / autobahn. Still they are popular and everyone in Asia buy them and use them.

I think EVs may end up with these kind of use cases in the future, with people parking them and charging them (there is no free parking anyways, so might as well park and charge), or they go somewhere to swap battery once a week or two.

When I see the major brand service stations start installing chargers at all their stations then I will sense that the adoption rate is accelerating enough.

My prediction is that most if not all of these decisions by automakers to stop production of ICE vehicles will be extended into the future as their deadlines approach. Hybrids will be a big factor in that.
Hybrids for me are to way to go forward for the next 10-15 years. Ymmv

I wouldn't be so sure. Depends on how they use their inverters or other power circuitry they may need to free up the HVAC rail for something else.

I know airliners need to divert air from the air circulation system in order to start the engines. I was stuck on an aircraft that couldn't start until they fixed the system.

However, I've been reading enough about how Teslas have been able to sit in the sun or freezing weather and still operate heating or cooling while they charge. They have to be powered on during charging to control all that stuff anyways, including possibly cooling the batteries while they charge. However, the primary mission of the cooling system will be to cool down the battery on a hot day, so it might divert some of that. That the battery is actively cooled is probably one reason why the batteries might last so long compared to consumer electronics that don't typically have any battery cooling.

The big thing seems to be whether or not certain eco modes are turned on to reduce the use of battery power for heating or cooling. However, I've looked around and a Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, BMW i3, Mustang Mach E, etc. usually can charge and blow A/C at the same time. However, sometimes the user has to play around with the settings to get it to work since many are designed to use as little electricity as possible and the general idea is that most users aren't going to be charging and staying in the vehicle.

It's kind of interesting too as some of these vehicles use heat pumps for more efficiency, where the heat from the active systems can be used for heating the passenger compartment. But it's a bit like a traditional water cooled vehicle where the coolant provides the heat through the heater core.

I think EVs may end up with these kind of use cases in the future, with people parking them and charging them (there is no free parking anyways, so might as well park and charge), or they go somewhere to swap battery once a week or two.

The talk about DHL being a customer for an electric plane included battery swaps in less than 10 minutes. Those things are really heavy, so they would also.

But with most cars it's not a great thing if it suddenly has a day where typical range just craters (or worse a battery failure) but it's usually not going to be fatal. Sometimes that just happens with lithium-ion batteries. But in a plane, falling out of the sky is **ahem** unacceptable. I heard that some of the proposed designs include a backup turbine generator (probably jet fuel for the highest energy density) just in case the batteries fail.

g0-core-pr-08032021-1.jpg

Back