What Factors Are Swaying EV Adoption in the U.S.?

Always look out for the writers. Many are English majors, not technical people.They freely go with back and forth between BEV’s and Electric Vehicles. Electric vehicles include hybrids in the count as well as BEV’s.

Another beef is that Hydro is tucked in nicely to give renewables a nice sounding 20%. The vast majority of hydro is from huge power dams built in the last 90 years. Subtract that and renewables are back at about 13 %.
Yes, outside of some dictatorship nations it is very hard to build new hydro dams these days. To be fair the impact to real estate values in general usually more than the economical benefit of hydro power reducing electricity price by a few cents per kwh.

However, with the right charging schedule and a big enough battery (that will last at least 3 days worth of commute, so you can charge based on price rather than you must charge at all cost to get to work tomorrow) or being a plug in hybrid, this "cheap wind and solar are unreliable" can be tolerated during heatwaves (i.e. you can at least charge between 1am to 8am without blackout). If your grid is so bad you get a few days of blackout, then you probably live somewhere that you need to at least get a plug in hybrid instead of an EV anyways.

The last hydro dam in British Columbia is currently under construction. It slipped in just in time before the Woke culture was a able to cancel it. It’s over budget but was “ too far along” to cancel. For now there is an overabundance of power, but the government owned utility, BC Hydro is $40 B in debt. There will never be another dam built unless black-outs occur many years down the road.

By the way, BC, Alberta, Washington State, Oregon, California and Montana are all linked and sell power back and forth as required, although the people of BC think they are on almost 100% hydro, on any given day some of those electrons are coming from coal plants in Montana and vice versa.

Last edited:
Fashion and fad? If a few neighbors get a new white ev appliance on wheels, it creates a lot of pressure to fit in. There are three white ones around on the street, all look the same, all as interesting as a box of cereal, to me. Why did they all get white. But they serve a good purpose, clean cars, nothing wrong with that.

Price, range, charge time.

Address these and Americans will embrace EV's with a demand that won't quit.

But don't tell me they have 400 miles range and let me discover that it's dead at 200 on a highway trip.
This.

The issue is like fuel mileage the range varies depending on several factors. 400 miles range on a flat Texas road will be less in January Boston traffic.

The last hydro dam in British Columbia is currently under construction. It slipped in just in time before the Woke culture was a able to cancel it. It’s over budget but was “ too far along” to cancel. For now there is an overabundance of power, but the government owned utility, BC Hydro is $40 B in debt. There will never be another dam built unless black-outs occur many years down the road.

By the way, BC, Alberta, Washington State, Oregon, California and Montana are all linked and sell power back and forth as required, although the people of BC think they are on almost 100% hydro, on any given day some of those electrons are coming from coal plants in Montana and vice versa.

Muskrat Falls is another example, the Feds (our tax dollars) had to bail out Newfoundland on the project because it has gone so far over budget. As I've said in the past, this is an issue with the execution of large infrastructure projects in the West in general, not specific to any one type of generation sources, the examples are myriad.

Amusing that BC Hydro has accrued more debt than Ontario Hydro had before its breakup, something that's railed-on about by the pro-VRE nutters and blame it all on the nukes (it wasn't the nukes). These publicly owned entities are often poorly managed or decisions are made not to adjust rates to properly recoup CAPEX from large projects and instead the debt just sits there.

We really also have to realize electric cars are relatively new and the battery and potentially the power producers/grid part is the weak point of the cars usefulness. Lets not forget the power needed for home recharging, a 50 amp draw is close or equal to an central air conditioner. for example California's electric grid is as corrupt as the government and when windy the power is shut off in certain areas or during a heat spell the grid can't take the AC load and just think when natural gas use is eliminated.

When I see the major brand service stations start installing chargers at all their stations then I will sense that the adoption rate is accelerating enough.

My prediction is that most if not all of these decisions by automakers to stop production of ICE vehicles will be extended into the future as their deadlines approach. Hybrids will be a big factor in that.
Ain’t there until the beaver has 100 chargers and things to keep you busy till broke inside

Price, range, charge time.

Address these and Americans will embrace EV's with a demand that won't quit.

But don't tell me they have 400 miles range and let me discover that it's dead at 200 on a highway trip.
How long can they sit and make heat like when I95 was covered with cars for so dang long ?

The EV market globally is 2% of the total sales, here they are being rammed down our throat by the "Greens" and governments that want to appear environmentally responsive, of course they haven't done any study as to how green an EV really is, it is NOT. The grid cannot take the demand on hot summer days when the A/C is at full blast so how well with we fare if everyone had an EV? It will take years to built the grid up and I doubt it ever will for new forms of energy are coming up and the only one IMO that has a chance is the fuel cell as it can take advantage of the current Gas Stations grid and it doesn't require an "Adjustment" on the part of drivers.
Not really but you living in a country with a population density of 4/km wouldn't understand.

The biggest fear in EV adoption isn't charging infrastructure but the inability to charge at night. Parking lots (Condos/Apartments) are not adding chargers at a fast enough rate.
Yep. If they were, I imagine EV adoption would take off, especially with crazy CA gas prices.

Minimum 400mls (no if’s, but’s).
Recharging in 15min (no if’s and but’s).
I leave it at COS airport in January, come back, wife needs to breastfeed baby while heat is on.
I go ski. Park it without charging at 0 degrees for 7-8hrs, drive back home for 2 1/2hrs in normal weather, in blizzard 3 to 8 hrs.
Than we can talk about EV without being vanity but mainstream product.

Anyone trying to drive a EV into Washington state from the east today had better stop in Montana or Idaho. Nobody is moving. All passes shut down. No time frame for reopening.

The biggest fear in EV adoption isn't charging infrastructure but the inability to charge at night. Parking lots (Condos/Apartments) are not adding chargers at a fast enough rate.
It depends. I would expect eventually there'll be a standard for battery swap and people will swap in battery if they live in places that can't charges an EV, or if they only use it for local need they would lease a shorter range battery instead of standardizing every car with 400 miles (i.e. if you live in Hawaii where the circumference of the island is 26 miles).

A big portion of the world (2nd world, almost 3rd world) uses scooters for commutes and those have EV equivalents already. In China at least there's a huge migration from gas to electric scooters due to emission (2 stroke engine is really bad for air quality). They can be brought into the storage or "hallway" of apartments to be charged, or they can be designed so the batteries can be swapped.

IMO it is very rare to see people commuting 200 miles round trip daily and live in places they cannot change on both side. If they do they likely will park somewhere that has either a parking structure or lots with chargers installed.

It depends. I would expect eventually there'll be a standard for battery swap and people will swap in battery if they live in places that can't charges an EV, or if they only use it for local need they would lease a shorter range battery instead of standardizing every car with 400 miles (i.e. if you live in Hawaii where the circumference of the island is 26 miles).

A big portion of the world (2nd world, almost 3rd world) uses scooters for commutes and those have EV equivalents already. In China at least there's a huge migration from gas to electric scooters due to emission (2 stroke engine is really bad for air quality). They can be brought into the storage or "hallway" of apartments to be charged, or they can be designed so the batteries can be swapped.

IMO it is very rare to see people commuting 200 miles round trip daily and live in places they cannot change on both side. If they do they likely will park somewhere that has either a parking structure or lots with chargers installed.
Imagine if every parking spot in an apt/condo contained an induction charger.

Can EV get me from point A to B on a whim, whether that be down the street or across the nation, with little downtime, in any driving situation/location/climate/living arrangement/location of potential stopping area. ICE or hybrid can do that, thats what matters to me. EV are great pure commuter cars for homeowners, but like edyvw illustrated above theres a thousand things they cant do reliably for many people with the current level of range and infrastructure. It will get there, I just think much longer than people think. PHEV is ideal for most consumers right now.

Back