What exactly is this Mobil oil?

Found this Mobil Full Synthetic on sale at Autozone ($15 5qt, $4 singles) so I picked some up for my Taurus. What exactly is it? It’s not Mobil 1, it’s not Super, I’ve never noticed it before. Decent stuff? Thank you!
1F63C2C2-7885-49EB-9FE0-DAB3CF1078F3.jpeg

Its a lesser product than Mobil 1 which is their flagship product.

Is super going away? seems like it fills a similar market niche.

looks like a direct from distributor one that oil change shops use. whenever you see "mobil synthetic oil changes here" its not gonna be EP. this is the cheapest crap that mobil can technically call full synthetic so oil change shops can upsell it. this is a profit margin oil. i doubt its really all that better than a syn blend you can get for under $15 a jug.

The Xom MSDS for MSS and MFS show same, but only this for base oil:

SEVERELY HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC
DISTILLATE
64742-54-7 10 - < 20% H304

The Pour point on the MFS is a few degrees lower than the MSS - whatever that does to bake your cookies ...

MFS is Dexos 1, Gen 2, MSS appears to be not Dexos licensed

So, MFS looks like it is a bulk Mobil branded jobber synthetic; so the service writer can say, "We use Mobil Synthetic" as a service draw.

I think the OP, John got a decent oil for 15 smackeroons.

Proof is in the Puddin' - Ken

The new Mobil synthetic and Pennzoil synthetic (black label) are targeted to consumers who normally shop for house brand oils, and those that are stepping up from conventional oils to ease the reluctance to transition.

On paper, this oil looks pretty good. Here's a PQIA report

So, basically, this will confuse a lot of consumers out there (who doesn't know anything about engine oil) thinking it is a Mobil 1 and running the oil as a 10,000 mile oci. That is a disaster, Mobil, you should at least put "good for 7500 mile" printed in front of the bottle!

Last edited:
On paper, this oil looks pretty good. Here's a PQIA report

I agree.

So, basically, this will confuse a lot of consumers out there (who doesn't know anything about engine oil) thinking it is a Mobil 1 and running the oil as a 10,000 mile oci. That is a disaster, Mobil, you should at least put "good for 7500 mile" printed in front of the bottle!

Why that? Calm yourself down. I doesn't look like a Mobil1 bottle, it doesn't say Mobil1 on it.

Not true in either case, not the M1 is good for 10k+ everytime in every application and not this one is necessarily not good enough for 7.5k+

Just put this in the Tucson. BJ's has a case of 6qts for $22. The 0W20 and 5W-30 carry Dexos1 approval so it may be considered inferior to Mobil1 products due to M1 using PAO and Esters, but its on par with any Group III synthetics out there. Of which there are many.

I don't believe the Pennzoil Full Synthetic ("black label") carries dexos1 approval in any viscosity.

From their website on warrantied OCI:
1632424567744.png

1632424375922.png

Attachments

• 1632424543146.jpg
    1632424543146.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
The Xom MSDS for MSS and MFS show same, but only this for base oil:

SEVERELY HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC
DISTILLATE
64742-54-7 10 - < 20% H304

The Pour point on the MFS is a few degrees lower than the MSS - whatever that does to bake your cookies ...

MFS is Dexos 1, Gen 2, MSS appears to be not Dexos licensed

So, MFS looks like it is a bulk Mobil branded jobber synthetic; so the service writer can say, "We use Mobil Synthetic" as a service draw.

I think the OP, John got a decent oil for 15 smackeroons.

Proof is in the Puddin' - Ken
MSS has dexos license as well.

If its IlSAC GF-5/6A then its made to follow the maintenance minder regardless of the 7500 mi "marketing" placement

MSS has dexos license as well.
Sorry, I did not see it in the XoM MSS PDS dated: 06-2021 And there are NO Manufacturer Approvals listed.

The license was noted on the MFS PDS dated: 12-2020 along with FORD FORD WSS-M2C961-A1 Approval(s)

I do see MSS on the GM Dexos®1 Gen 2 license webpage

I will blame EXxon-Mobil on this one :)

Here are the two PDS's:

Attachments

• NA-US-Mobil-Super-Synthetic.pdf
    193.5 KB · Views: 11
  • NA-XX-Mobil-Full-Synthetic-Series.pdf
    193.3 KB · Views: 15
Is Walmart in the process of discontinuing Mobil lubricants? Went to pick up my jug of 0W-20 EP this week, and the space for Mobil products was bare with the exception of several jugs of high mileage oils

Back