What does "e11" on my Highlander washer fluid cap mean?

I just went to refill my windshield washer fluid, and saw this on the cap. The manual says nothing at all about a specific type of washer fluid, so I'm not sure what "e11" refers to. I went to parts.toyota.com and it didn't refer to the part number of the reservoir cap.

Does anyone know? The pic (it is a screenshot, not a video) is not from my car, but it looks the same.

e11.jpg

European homologation. Even though the Highlander isn’t sold in Europe/UK, Toyota does share many common parts across their models. In the EU/UK, anything vision/lighting/restraint/braking related falls under E-code specs.

that’s why you see a E-xx number in a circle on the glass in a non-American made car unless it was US-made for export.

It was made in Japan, exported to USA.

And thanks for giving me a word for the day.
European homologation. Even though the Highlander isn’t sold in Europe/UK, Toyota does share many common parts across their models. In the EU/UK, anything vision/lighting/restraint/braking related falls under E-code specs.

that’s why you see a E-xx number in a circle on the glass in a non-American made car unless it was US-made for export.

E11 refers to the UK according to the euro code or Circle E standard. Since practically all European countries use the same auto regulations a part can be certified for use in any euro country and used in them all. You can also make auto parts according to euro regulations outside of Europe and have e code of the country of origin like E47 for South Africa. Although I'm doubtful that e11 on the filler cap is an actual euro code because they always have the circle with a capital E on the inside.

Last edited:
Back