What do you think of the Focus ST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to replace my 2003 Jaguar X-Type with a new car. I took the low end version of the Focus ST for a test drive last night. I liked it. It was quite quick around town, and surprisingly fun. Comfortable too. Dealer is asking $22.5 for it, plus tax. Not bad at all for a hot hatchback. I've got to admit that it was a whole bunch more fun than the Mustangs I've rented.

The only reason I'd consider it is the price, as the price/performance ratio is quite favorable.

Performance 0-60 in about 6 seconds, 1/4 mile in about 14 second flat at 101 MPH. Not bad for a front drive car. Cornering 0.92-0.96 G's.

The 2.0EB engine has been around for a few years now and does not seem to have any problems.

The 6 speed manual is much better than the 5 speed on the "regular" focus.

Wow! That sounds awesome. I never really considered a Ford Focus was capable of speeds like that. Outstanding.

Interesting how some of you said its comfortable. I sat in one and thought the seats were terrible. I guess it had the racing seats or whatever in it but they would not be fun on a long trip. I also wasn't thrilled with the pedal layout as the clutch was too far to the right and I felt like my legs had to be off to the side to drive it.

I was really bummed out because I really was looking forward to it and thought it would be a great car to get.

Cool car, we considered one. I'd suggest the ST3 pkg so you get heater leather recaro seats. Often you can get higher discount percentages on the higher models too.

Ultimately we decided it was not going to be as nearly as cheap long term to drive as an Accord sport. Premium fuel, turbo system, higher likely repairs than Honda.

I figured an ST would have a shorter useful life with higher depreciation. The 6 speed Accord is surprisingly fun to drive anyway. Magazines that launch it hard have gotten a 6.6 second 0-60, and about .87g skid pad. Not bad for a larger, more practical car.

But, a focus ST would whoop it any day. If you don't mind the costs that along with that performance.

14 flat? I've seen mostly mid 14s from what I've read. You might be right, with cooler weather and a good launch it should be able to hit that mark.

They are fun cars to say the least.

I'd buy a Focus ST over many other cars....I'd buy a Fiesta ST as well....the Fiesta is much better than the Sonic, IMO.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
14 flat? I've seen mostly mid 14s from what I've read. You might be right, with cooler weather and a good launch it should be able to hit that mark.

They are fun cars to say the least.

Here is one with no mods, except a lower engine mount.

15192d1375069477-2013-ford-focus-st-1-4-mile-times-forumrunner_20130728_234443.png

It seems the car is solidly in the 13.6 second 103 MPH range with just a cold air intake and larger intercooler. Not too bad.

I can't believe I'm actually considering a front driver

I'd get one over a current Mazdaspeed 3 I think, would have to think harder about Focus ST vs GTI. But $22.5k is a good price for a car in this class. Personally, in my own quest for a hot hatch, I chose the WRX and would again. But the WRX was not $22.5k!

The thing that would probably bug me the most about the ST is how much is seems to rely on its brakes to govern its handling behavior. I have not driven one, though.

I prefer the Fiesta ST- I like smaller and lighter cars. That said, there's no doubt that the Focus ST is a great hot hatch, although in my case I don't see it as a great leap forward over my 2007 MS3- especially since I've fitted it with a Mazdaspeed CAI and Pilot Super Sports(although the heated Recaros would be nice- I love the chairs in my '02). Couple that with the fact that every Ford dealer in my area has an abysmal service department and you can see that there are no Blue Oval is my future.
In any case, I tend to think that the MS3 will be my first and last FWD car. Learning to handle a car that puts over 280 bhp through the front wheels can be exhilarating, but more and more I find myself longing for a sharper and more focused(no pun intended) track toy- think Z4 M Coupe or Cayman S.
I just hate the thought of having a car payment.

For $22.5 it is hard to beat. It is a very hot hatch. I kinda agree that the Fiesta is a bit more fun between the two. Odd to say but the Focus felt "large" after the Fiesta. You really notice that extra 500lbs.

Still 250-ish bhp to the front wheels is a bit much and I would say that the extra 3-ish grand for the AWD would lead me to a WRX. Take it with a grain of salt since my HM beater is a Subbie. Depending on the Auto-X course, watching the AWD guys does make me a bit jealous when even the NA are putting up better times than the MR2. But then again, it depends on the course.

So, it depends, the Fiesta is more fun IMO, the Focus is perhaps the best cost/performance ratio, but you can never say "but it is cheaper" after being beaten. The Fiesta will still surprise a lot more folks.

One thing I will note is that Ford has some very attractive incentives on the 2013 Focus ST; my nearest dealer has a new loaded 2013 ST priced at $25,080- $4,850 of of MSRP. The Fiesta ST that I briefly considered was priced at $23,580, the only options being the Recaro package and the Molten Orange paint. But at least the Fiesta didn't have a hole in the roof...
thumbsup2.gif

If space is not important, i would consider a fiesta st for its light weight and lighter price. Fwd is not a real sports car anyway so it may as well be cheap.

My shopping list for the next car:

Focus ST
GTI Mk7, DSG
Civic SI Sedan

I wonder how these would compare to each other. ST and GTI seems like newer, fresher technology while the Civic seems to want to give you just the right amount of power to have fun on a public road. One advantage that GTI has is the DSG, which is something that other people besides you know how to drive.. Anyways. New car shopping postponed by a year..

I love the rowdy nature of the ST. But I bet it would get old fast as a DD.

That new GTI is a gem. The Honda would be my last choice but it is still a great car to drive everyday...

After my abysmal experience with VW products, they will never get another cent of mine. I'd rather drive anything else.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
After my abysmal experience with VW products, they will never get another cent of mine. I'd rather drive anything else.

I haven't had one since a Super beetle in high school, but I have heard the stories.

I think they have made a real effort to address the reliability and service issues. A lot of them are aggravated by a lousy stealership!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back