What do you think is the best "buy" in all new firearms?

Glock 19
LE surplus/sell off 870P or Benelli M1, depending on your taste or if new, a 1301T
SOLGW AR15
Ruger American bolt gun or a Savage heavy barrel bolt gun of your choice

This thread could use some focus.. good deal for what purpose ? Ccw. Sport... competition.. home defense.. because some odd tiny pistol is cheap it has no great use except for niche collecting.. what good is that?? Guns are not really multi purpose in all areas. Some would say a 12 guage ...but not good for a novice to handle .. and in a home its hard to go around a corner or dial a phone with a shotgun aimed at someone. And the fool notion that you dont need to aim because of extreme spread dont understand how far away a shotgun needs to be to expand to even 12 inches.

This thread could use some focus.. good deal for what purpose ? Ccw. Sport... competition.. home defense.. because some odd tiny pistol is cheap it has no great use except for niche collecting.. what good is that?? Guns are not really multi purpose in all areas. Some would say a 12 guage ...but not good for a novice to handle .. and in a home its hard to go around a corner or dial a phone with a shotgun aimed at someone. And the fool notion that you dont need to aim because of extreme spread dont understand how far away a shotgun needs to be to expand to even 12 inches.

this.

the best bargain firearm is the one that suits your needs, is convenient, is pleasant and affordable to practice, can be fieldstripped easy enough so that you will enjoy getting to know and clean it. in other words if you are a shotgunner then a maverick 88 is a fine bargain. if you cannot physically handle well its pump-action, don’t enjoy its recoil and have no place to practice regularly, then it is likely a misallocation of (less) money.

imho, everyone should have a 22lr something, for cheap and easy and regular practice, to share with non-gunner first timers, to accommodate life’s inevitable infirmities. not alot of new bargains these days unless one follows online sales, e.g. gb.com.

this.

the best bargain firearm is the one that suits your needs, is convenient, is pleasant and affordable to practice, can be fieldstripped easy enough so that you will enjoy getting to know and clean it. in other words if you are a shotgunner then a maverick 88 is a fine bargain. if you cannot physically handle well its pump-action, don’t enjoy its recoil and have no place to practice regularly, then it is likely a misallocation of (less) money.

imho, everyone should have a 22lr something, for cheap and easy and regular practice, to share with non-gunner first timers, to accommodate life’s inevitable infirmities. not alot of new bargains these days unless one follows online sales, e.g. gb.com.
I agree that the .22 should be part of every gun houshold.. great choices are ruger 10/22.. and s&w 4 inch or 6 inch pistol.. or ruger mark 4 22 competition... great for practice and great for introducing new shooters.. in my house I gave my daughter her own sig 226 in .22.. its a great reliable and pretty accurate gun. I own a heavy barrel ruger 10 22 with a trigger job and leupold 3 x 9 vx 2 scope. I can hit film cans on side all day at 100 yards. I loved throwing a bunch of clay birds at 120 yards on a backstop and shooting them as they broke and fell down the hill.. super good practice and satisfying.

I think a .22 for ccw is useless.. a s&w shield or sig 365 or glock 19 makes a great home and carry defense if your only going to have one. The 38 special aluminum 5 shot s&w revolver is easy to load and shoot for untrained new shooters . And a great bargain firearm you can use for a lifetime

The new SA-35 (Browning Hi Power "improved" - I won't call it a clone) even at an MSRP of $699 is a great deal.

Forged frame and slide, feeds hollowpoints, mag disconnect safety removed, uses legacy and new Mec-Gar 15 round magazines, compatible with all BHP grips, dovetailed front sight, extended thumb safety... it has an old school vibe that no "plastic fantastic" can match...

If you ever wanted a BHP, you cannot beat this deal. It is no wonder to me that even a year after their introduction they are still hard to come by. I lucked into one at my local gun store at MSRP... could not be happier.

IMHO it should be part of every collection, as should a Colt 1911, a P&R Smith Model 27, a Remington 870, and a Winchester pre-'64 Model 70.
1666727114770.jpg

Last edited:
The new SA-35 (Browning Hi Power "improved" - I won't call it a clone) even at an MSRP of $699 is a great deal.

Forged frame and slide, feeds hollowpoints, mag disconnect safety removed, uses legacy and new Mec-Gar 15 round magazines, compatible with all BHP grips, dovetailed front sight...

If you ever wanted a BHP, you cannot beat this deal. It is no wonder to me that even a year after their introduction they are still hard to come by. I lucked into one at my local gun store at MSRP... could not be happier.

IMHO it should be part of every collection, as should a Colt 1911, a P&R Smith Model 27, a Remington 870, and a Winchester pre-'64 Model 70.
Thanks..i think I need one of those

How accurate is that at 50 yards ?? Is this your home and ccw gun ?
It's as accurate as can be expected at 50 yards but I can hit pretty good with it. I like Ruger .22's but my ccw gun is a 9mm Glock gen 5. Here are some other Ruger pistols I have. The shopkeeper is my favorite by far.

Attachments

• Lg0INrZOTRaPouLjWGsxdg.jpg
    Lg0INrZOTRaPouLjWGsxdg.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Xw3eFvg8Qge7a8uOGHaejw.jpg
    Xw3eFvg8Qge7a8uOGHaejw.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 7
  • pPzinwxZQgC133GHczO2Zg.jpg
    pPzinwxZQgC133GHczO2Zg.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 8
The best "buy" IMO is the one that fits you best. I've been shooting and reloading for 20+ years now and without fail, I find shooters that struggled with whatever firearm they're using because it doesn't fit them properly. Shotguns for instance, all have a unique fit by brand in my experience. A Browning fits a little different than a Beretta which fits a little different than a Remington. Try many, see how they feel when you pull the trigger. How does your aim align, how does your body feel from the recoil, how does your vision line up with the sights, etc. are all important factors. Find the firearm that fits YOU best, then practice and practice. That will make that firearm, your best "buy".

this.

the best bargain firearm is the one that suits your needs, is convenient, is pleasant and affordable to practice, can be fieldstripped easy enough so that you will enjoy getting to know and clean it, getting used to your holster and how it works with rest of your survival gear. in other words if you are a shotgunner then a maverick 88 is a fine bargain. if you cannot physically handle well its pump-action, don’t enjoy its recoil and have no place to practice regularly, then it is likely a misallocation of (less) money.

Yeah, agree. Really hard to give advice when you're not sure what a person needs firearm for. And yeah, .22 is the best practice to have (personally, I have 10/22 and P22 for practice.
Finding anything with a decent discount is close to impossible those days, even if you sit on all of the price data websites. Feels like some resellers have it all automated, wasn't able to find anything on more than 20-25% sale.

Back