What Do You Look For In A HM Synthetic Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2007 Sedona in my signature is pushing 200K miles and has developed a slight oil leak . The majority of this vehicles life has been with 5W20 synthetic SM rated oil and for the last 60K miles or so I bumped up to 5W30 synthetic SM rated oil (6K mile OCI's).
My question is I believe it may be time to switch to a HM synthetic 5W30 (using the same OCI's + Fram Ultra filter) , so what do you look for in a HM synthetic 5W30 oil when comparing between brands ? SM Plus rated ? Some other rating ? ... M1 5W30 HM and PP5W30 HM oils are currently on rollback where I live at WM and then there is also Valvoline HM Synthetic for a few dollars more per 5 qrt jug. Thanks in advance !

The words "high mileage".

Jokes aside, I don't think there's a ton of difference between each respective brand's high mileage oil. Personally, I like Valvoline's Maxlife, as I've heard nothing but good things about it and it's probably the most popular high mileage oil. That's just my opinion though.

They are all very similar - thicker base oil cut, higher detergency and added seal conditioners. I like MaxLife followed by Mobil 1 in that order.

Whichever one's on sale
smile.gif

Although I gotta say, I really like MaxLife syn. It does the best job reducing the seeps and leaks in my Accord.

Flip a coin with PPHM & Mobil 1 HM both being able to apply rebates. Both outstanding oil companies but my preference is Pennzoil. Good luck, run one multiple oil changes before making a yes or no it does not work decision for High Mileage oil.

My first recommendation it to repair any accessible gaskets w/o having to yank an engine. You know, valve cover, intake manifold gaskets, PCV valve & grommet and others that you can see & access.

If there is still leaking &/OR burning oil issues then buy HM oil by price. You may find one that works better for you. I have personally tried 4 different brands and two seemed to work better than the other two.

VML & PHM seem to work at slowing down my drips
GTX HM & QS DEFY(a.k.a. QSHM) did not.
All were dino or blends, not full syn.

Last edited:
Valvoline MaxLife full syn has the best approvals and rating specs I've seen on any. Being a dexos1 Gen2, it passes timing chain wear tests and other stuff. You can be sure its performing to that level if it has been tested. Other oils its more guesswork.

The additive package currently can be different as some of the non-HM synthetics have switched over to a formula meant to meet Dexos 1 Gen 2 while the HM versions have not since not enough GDI engines need a HM oil yet. You'll find HM oils that still have high levels of Ca while their non-HM counterparts will be a more even Ca/Mg mix.

When looking for a HM oil, I look for a robust detergent package with a high TBN and a viscosity in the higher end of the grade.

I look for ACEA A3/B3 rating so I know I am getting good film strength and protection (HTHS of 3.5+) within the grade.
Hopefully ester oil in the syn for seal treatment.
Appropriate to my climate.

In your case, a 10w30 makes more sense. M1 10w30 HM would be a good candidate. It has worked very well for me in conditioning valve seals and reducing leaks and oil usage. Twice yearly rebates also make it very economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back