What do you have for a home theater setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LG 55UJ6200 TV
Onkyo TX-RZ610 AV Receiver
Samsung UDB-M8500 BluRay
PSB Image T-55 mains with Clarity Cap upgrades
HSU Center Challel with Clarity Cap upgrade
Paradigm CT-100 height speakers
Definitive Technology Pro-60 surrounds
Velodyne SPL 1000 sub
Mains and Center Channel wired with 16 AWG silver plated OFC (VALAB off eBay). That is also the wire I use on my dedicated 2 channel system. All other wire is 16 AWG OFC

Yamaha RX-A3060
Mains: Polk LSIM 707
Center: Polk LSIM 706c
Surrounds: Polk LSIM 702F/Xs
Rear Surrounds: Polk S15
Front Presence: homemade 25 driver line arrays
Subs: 4 - 12" Dayton Ultimax Sonosubs tuned to 17 Hz powered by 2 Behringer iNUKE NU3000

I'm working on upgrading the TV, but it is low priority. Sound is king for me.

Here is the setup in my previous house. In the picture are only two of the subs...the other two are nearfield behind the couch. I will try and get a couple pics in my new house. I actually just got it set up and tuned in just this last weekend.

Last edited:
That is epic
crazy2.gif

Line array...don't see many of those these days! Very cool indeed.
Glad there is at least one other speakerbuilder on here whose audio system is bigger than their video!

A beige Camry.

Sony 40" 4k TV and a sound bar. Once upon I was into this stuff but lost interest and loud stuff makes my ears ring and headaches
frown.gif

Main HTS:
Video:
Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD

Electronics:
Denon AVR-2808CI
Sony BDPS3200
Rotel RCD-855
Magnavox MDR513H/F7
Roku Streaming Stick
Google Chromecast

Speakers:
Front: Klipsch KG 4
Center: Klipsch RC-3 II
Surround: Klipsch RS-3 II
Subwoofer: HSU VTF-3R

Cables and Interconnects:
Blue Jeans Cables

Surge Suppressors:
Tripp Lite HTPOWERBAR10
Tripp Lite ISOBAR 6

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Glad there is at least one other speakerbuilder on here whose audio system is bigger than their video!

Thanks, it is my favorite winter time hobby.
I have made well over 50 different speakers...although I have to admit most of them have been subs of one sort or another. I even made a bluetooth speaker for my cousin for Christmas one year (we give homemade gifts). It cost me under $30 in materials and would blow any other bluetooth speaker out of the water. It actually had real bass!

Anyways, here is a shot of that bluetooth speaker as well as a better shot of the line arrays before they got stuffed in the man-cave.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard

I have made well over 50 different speakers...although I have to admit most of them have been subs of one sort or another. I even made a bluetooth speaker for my cousin for Christmas one year (we give homemade gifts). It cost me under $30 in materials and would blow any other bluetooth speaker out of the water. It actually had real bass!

Anyways, here is a shot of that bluetooth speaker as well as a better shot of the line arrays before they got stuffed in the man-cave.

Is the PVC pipe for looks or does it serve a purpose? I noticed you have PVC pipes in your living room speakers as well.

TV is a cheap supermarket 43in backlit LED. Great picture quality (I calibrated it side by side with my old side lit LG LED), terrible interface.
I have a very modest Panasonic XR55 digital amp (has a very clean pure digital input path), passive biamped to a pair of old Gale bookshelf speakers, with modded/upgraded crossovers by myself. 10in Eltax sub, with an impressively low in room response and decent 175watt amp and 350w transformer for brilliant control.
I've got a calibrated SPL mic and spent a lot of time tweaking capacitors in my speakers, bass level, contour, phase of drivers, positioning to get the following in room response. I've owned and tested more espensive speakers (such as B&W, Wharfedale) with better on paper anechoic responses which when measured in my room showed no better response than my stock Gale speakers.

There was no difference in response from sine sweeps between biamp and biwire, in theory bi amp should reduce intermodulation distortion (especially around the cross over point), I can't personally hear any difference, but considering its a free setting on my amp I leave biamping on.

I am only at 2.1, but might go for 5.1 if I can get a setup that does not destroy the good stereo.

Built speakers and crossovers, analog mixer (including PCB) whilst I was still at school, restored numerous vintage Wharfedale and Goodmans speakers, even built a gain clone amp. Service the occasional guitar cab (driver swaps mostly).

You're welcome. I could use a good basement here to escape the heat & humidity of the mostly Summer climate.

You made good use of the fact that vent tubes don't need to reside inside the cabinet! Furthermore, doing so doesn't reduce Vb. Makes sense to turn them into a feature/architectural element. Nice work.

That little "horn" BT design is neat. Did you also incorporate an internal BT recvr + amp? My nephew would like something like that, given he's now a Longhorn.

A few years ago I reworked a sixth-order alignment I'd built years ago. Two 100L cabinets each with a pair of 12's. I stiffened the cabinets, tuned the boxes, eliminated a nasty basket resonance X4, then re-tuned the active XO. What a huge difference it made. Fourth-order alignments sure are sensitive to tuning.

I still have a 12" Scan-Speak woof waiting to be deployed in a sub-project.

You're welcome. I could use a good basement here to escape the heat & humidity of the mostly Summer climate.

You made good use of the fact that vent tubes don't need to reside inside the cabinet! Furthermore, doing so doesn't reduce Vb. Makes sense to turn them into a feature/architectural element. Nice work.

That little "horn" BT design is neat. Did you also incorporate an internal BT recvr + amp? My nephew would like something like that, given he's now a Longhorn.

A few years ago I reworked a sixth-order alignment I'd built years ago. Two 100L cabinets each with a pair of 12's. I stiffened the cabinets, tuned the boxes, eliminated a nasty basket resonance X4, then re-tuned the active XO. What a huge difference it made. Fourth-order alignments sure are sensitive to tuning.

I still have a 12" Scan-Speak woof waiting to be deployed in a sub-project.

Thanks! Yes, the BT project did have a built in BT receiver and amp inside. The "cap" on the bottom with the vent in it can pop off so you can turn it on and off.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: DriveHard

Is the PVC pipe for looks or does it serve a purpose? I noticed you have PVC pipes in your living room speakers as well.

The PVC for the large subs in my listening room serves as tuned vents for the enclosure. Those are basically down firing "ported" enclosures. There is a balance between the volume of the enclosure, the diameter and number of vents, as well as the length. The vents serve to extend the low frequency capabilities of the speaker at the expense of faster roll-off below the tuning frequency.

The PVC for the BT project was the actual enclosure itself. It served as the speaker cabinet. You can see there is actually a port built into the cap in the bottom. Again, the diameter and length were carefully selected to best enhance the low end of the speakers in that enclosure.

It is a fun hobby, and CAN be pretty in-expensive if you keep it sane. Speaker enclosures can be made from most anything, and most of the software to aid in the design is free! Partsexpress.com is a great place to go for decent drivers at low prices to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back