What do Mobil's product names signify?

I believe that Bitog has the potential to crack this mystery. :) Many have attempted to uncover the truth, but so far, no one has provided a conclusive answer. Even self-proclaimed insiders have struggled to provide an accurate explanation. Perhaps this enigma is as perplexing as the Voynich manuscript, even perhaps for a knowledgeable XOM employee :). Who knows?

However, there must be some underlying logic to it all. It's about a highly regarded brand of oils here! :) Maybe together we can unveil the truth. Admittedly, finding a definitive answer would truly be a testament to Bitogers expertise.

Disclosing the composition of Infineum P6800 or the new M1 oil may be easier. For such tasks, there is undoubtedly an answers exist.

But when it comes to the meaning of "x0, x1, x2, x3, x4," and even "x5" in Mobil's product names, the question remains: is there an answer out there?

x0.jpg
x1.jpg
x2.jpg
x3.jpg
x4.jpg

V.jpg

I believe that Bitog has the potential to crack this mystery. :) Many have attempted to uncover the truth, but so far, no one has provided a conclusive answer. Even self-proclaimed insiders have struggled to provide an accurate explanation. Perhaps this enigma is as perplexing as the Voynich manuscript, even perhaps for a knowledgeable XOM employee :). Who knows?

However, there must be some underlying logic to it all. It's about a highly regarded brand of oils here! :) Maybe together we can unveil the truth. Admittedly, finding a definitive answer would truly be a testament to Bitogers expertise.

Disclosing the composition of Infineum P6800 or the new M1 oil may be easier. For such tasks, there is undoubtedly an answers exist.

But when it comes to the meaning of "x0, x1, x2, x3, x4," and even "x5" in Mobil's product names, the question remains: is there an answer out there?

View attachment 159734 View attachment 159735View attachment 159736View attachment 159737View attachment 159738
View attachment 159739
Per Mobil 1 they signify when a new spec has been added or an existing spec was updated. This is done to insure that the correct label is loaded in the machine for whatever run of product they're filling.

Last edited:
Per Mobil 1 they signify when a new spec has been added or an existing spec was updated. This is done to insure that the proper label is applied to the correct corresponding product.

It's intriguing! How can we decipher the meaning behind Mobil ESP 0W-40 and its X3 designation? Moreover, we had FS X1 5W-40 and FS X2 5W-40 coexisting during the same period. They had the same approvals.. Nowhere have I come across an official explanation for this. Not even once.

It's intriguing! How can we decipher the meaning behind Mobil ESP 0W-40 and its X3 designation? Moreover, we had FS X1 5W-40 and FS X2 5W-40 coexisting during the same period. They had the same approvals.. Nowhere have I come across an official explanation for this. Not even once.

Ya I don't know. You'd have to look carefully to see what changed and you'd also have to be aware of when every spec was updated. In any case it's just an internal thing to help the people who load the labels on the line. I wouldn't be surprised if they shipped older and newer product to various markets.

The only company I can think of who would indicate when a new or old spec was being used is LiquiMoly with regards to BMW LL01. Some of their product had LL01(2018) and others had LL01. 2018 was an update

ESP means Emissions System Protection
FS, I know you didn't ask, IMO means Full Saps but they didn't say.

ESP means Emissions System Protection
FS, I know you didn't ask, IMO means Full Saps but they didn't say.
Ah, ESP, FS, LV—such logical and decipherable acronyms. However, the enigma lies within those Xs. What do these clandestine Xs truly signify? Ah, the answer that eludes us all :)

Perhaps it is as simple as the first, second, third reformulation of an existing formula at an OEM’s request? Maybe not all get released hence the gap between normal ESP 0W-40 and the Porsche X3. They also tend to show up on Euro oils more it seems.

Perhaps it is as simple as the first, second, third reformulation of an existing formula at an OEM’s request? Maybe not all get released hence the gap between normal ESP 0W-40 and the Porsche X3. They also tend to show up on Euro oils more it seems.
As communicate to me from M1, it means a spec was updated/added and sometimes removed and insures the correct label gets loaded into the machine on the line.

They also tend to show up on Euro oils more it seems.

In Japan, FS is consistently identified as X2, as is customary in Asia. However, China had both X1 and X2 variants. Furthermore, it appears that Japan also has some atypical variations in their offerings. Notably, the presence of 0W-30 ILSAC seems exclusive to Japan, with no signs of its availability elsewhere in Asia/EU.

mm1.jpg

Last edited:
I look at the grade and the specs. Then I look at the price.
Not bad, indeed. But do you perchance take into consideration the brand as well? There is still some significance to the reputation, formally speaking, isn't there?

Back