What do late model Toyota's use for coolant in northern states when the pink 50/50 isn't enough low temp protection?

The bottle says it's only good down to -34F. What do Toyota dealers in the Dakotas, Minnesota, Vermont and not to mention Canada use when changing coolant other than the factory 50/50 pink stuff? Does Toyota sell an extreme low temperature version like Honda does? My concern isn't the low temperature but that during a flush, there is still a gallon of water in the block, so using 50/50 coolant would mean the protection might only be down to 0F.

Companies other than Toyota make a compatible POAT concentrate-OEM is one of them, there may be others. Concentrations of up to 70% coolant & 30% distilled/deionized will work, with a little less cooling performance in hot weather.

The bottle says it's only good down to -34F. What do Toyota dealers in the Dakotas, Minnesota, Vermont and not to mention Canada use when changing coolant other than the factory 50/50 pink stuff? Does Toyota sell an extreme low temperature version like Honda does? My concern isn't the low temperature but that during a flush, there is still a gallon of water in the block, so using 50/50 coolant would mean the protection might only be down to 0F.
Guarantee the dealers here in Canada just use the premix 50/50 without issue.

55/45 is what I use in Calgary. That should be good to -40 and below. Just add the right amount of concentrated coolant.

My concern isn't the low temperature but that during a flush, there is still a gallon of water in the block, so using 50/50 coolant would mean the protection might only be down to 0F.
Which is why you should never flush the block and only do a drain and fill. Radiator, different story since it can be completely drained.
Or, get yourself one of these:
Refractometer2.jpg

Remember, coolant is effective up to 60/40 % concentration (AF/H2O) beyond that it can become acidic and cause some damage. This advice is for Dexcool but others are very similar now.

Yes I understand raising the concentration to lower the freezing point but around here the dealers only have 50/50. I can't believe they also use that in the northern states where it might get below -40F or in Canada or Alaska where it might drop below -50F. I'll have to find a brand of pink that is full strength. I won't use red when pink is the newer longer lasting type.

I no longer have a Toyota, but I only used 50/50 mix of Toyota red on my Sienna. I'm not as far north as other provinces, so we really don't worry about engine damage.

Maybe they use 60/40 or 70/30 ratio further north. Many people in colder regions use block heaters in the winter and you see plugs outside for people to use in parking lots etc.

I don't hear of people with many issues of damage using incorrect coolant ratios. At the local auto parts stores they have concentrate or 50/50 mix. I'm sure some people use 50/50 premixed further north and don't think twice about it.

Honda sells this "Extreme Cold Weather Concentrate" for just such a purpose, but are you in danger of exceeding the low temperature limit for the Toyota 50/50? If so then perhaps that's why the old Toyota Red full-strength is still being sold along with the pink.

Back