What did you do to your car today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I walked by my P/U and with a loving look I said I love you Mr. truck and gave it a kiss on the hood then continued with my chores. I really love Mr.Truck.

Washed my 32 year old Ford F-150 Explorer and then my 23 year old Chevy Astro conversion van. I tend to keep things going with proper maintenance. My pickup is my beast of burden, my van for the highway.
grin.gif

I have a long to-do list that involves pretty much all of my cars, but I didn't have time to do any of it today. The only thing I did today was replace the transmission dipstick on the Escalade. The plastic handle had broken off on the old one.

Checked the front diff fluid on the LR3...leaky axle seal, going into the shop in a week. I've been checking it weekly. It only takes .6 quarts, so I'm thinking a leak could be deadly. That would hurt!

Originally Posted By: CT8
This morning I walked by my P/U and with a loving look I said I love you Mr. truck and gave it a kiss on the hood then continued with my chores. I really love Mr.Truck.
Do you give oomox to the steering wheel? You know, a Ferengi earlobe massage?

Today on the Avalemon I changed the motor oil, monkeyed with the toe (still off, this is a real PITA), and drained the trans to refill with fresh. Out came two quarts, refilled with one quart of Mobil 1 ATF and the first quart of a gallon container of Valv. Maxlife Synthetic ATF.
For the oil I used whatever I had handy with me. Today it was an old Supertech ST4967 filter (OE spec is the 3614) and Walmart blue bottle 10w30 (manual calls for 5w30 except for desert heat conditions).
I wanted to punish the car a little for springing a heater core leak after I changed the radiator. Fix one problem, two new ones show up. I blame the Prestone cooling system flush.

2000 Toyota Tundra V6:
Perform diag on no start. Fuel pump runs - need to verify pressure. Remove timing belt cover to gain access to fuel rail, found timing belt snapped and turned into spaghetti.

125,000mi RIP timing belt and my personal time.

On the 03:
Took all the wheels off, inspected the brakes. Plenty of pad left, but had an annoying squeak and everything was dry. I took the brakes apart, lubing the contact and sliding points with Sil-Glyde.
Then I bled the brakes using 1.5 litre of Castrol DOT 4.
Probably rebleed in a month or so, trying to flush all that old nastyness out.

A test drive was dead silent, so that was an annoyance fixed.

Last night I changed the oil on my 92 Accord. Also, my mom came over and I worked on her 94 Explorer - changed the oil, greased the ball joints and tie rods, and fixed her spare tire. The tire she had was really old and wouldn't hold air anymore. Also, the winch assembly that holds the spare underneath the truck was all rusted and rotted and I'm surprised the tire hadn't fallen off while she was driving down the road. Luckily I have a 99 Explorer junker sitting in my yard that's only good for parts. I took the spare tire and the winch assembly off of it and swapped them over to my mom's 94.

Put gas in the Roadmaster.

On the other hand I've done a lot in the shop.
-Helped dad replace lower intake gaskets on an '03 Buick Century with a 3100
-Helped dad replace lower intake gaskets on a '97 GMC K1500
-Oil change on a '15 Corolla
-Helped on and off with an engine replacement in a '70 C20
-Pulled the tail light housings off a '65 GTO convertible
-Estimates, repair tickets
-Hauled a load of scrap
-Made a decision on Havoline for shop oil
-Today will be replacing the water pump on another '65 GTO

Today I just picked up my 1992 Accord from the shop. Had all four engine mounts replaced, timing adjusted, vacuum checked for leaks, AC serviced. A few weeks ago I had the timing belt, water pump, tensioner etc. replaced as well as distributer, coil and fuel filter. Also did 2X drain/fills (so far) with Maxlife ATF. At 150K miles it drives great and engine sounds like new.

I just bought it recently, and it has a K&N sticker on the air filter box cover. I'll check it today, and have a replacement regular filter ready to go if it's actually a K&N.

Last edited:
The passenger side window would get 98% up and then start shaking up and down so figured it was the regulator. Yup, it was the regulator but the window was super hot too along with getting loud and slow so that was replaced too.

Rattle can some Rust Reformer under the GMC ~ long gravel &muddy roads with brackish water crossings was catching up on the underside …

Figured out there's a cover over the wiper motor that has to occasionally be removed to clean out the drain.... And its mentioned nowhere in the maintenance guide anywhere.
Also had lots of fun when my windshield wipers weren't turning off today. Looks like a trip to the junkyard for a new Motor and multifunction switch are in my future.

Wife's car.

Oil change (they didn't change it when they put the warranty cam in), kept the oil filter on.
5L Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 AG
1L Nulon 25W560 (as an additive)

Turkey bastered the power steering.

INOX treated the battery,

Shell Helix Ultra sounds like a close family member to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.. Sad that a cam had to be replaced under warranty. And What is INOX?? To help keep the terminals clean I'm thinking.

Filled up the Silverado. Netted 16.03 MPG this week best MPG of 2017. Worst I've recorded was 11 MPG.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Sad that a cam had to be replaced under warranty. And What is INOX?? To help keep the terminals clean I'm thinking.

Nah, car had 100,000 miles on it, and GM had an outstanding recall on the rocker arms.

When they lifted the lid, they found that it had chewed the cam, so they had to replace it.

We got that, and the timing belt (it was worn too) gratis...we paid for a new serp belt, and they fitted it free.

INOX is a cadmium sulfate battery treatment...a bit like the old Epsom Salts battery treatment to stop sulfation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back