What coolant would you run in a 1997 Dodge Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at doing a complete cooling system flush and refill in my 1997 Dodge Ram 5.9 Magnum gas engine. 83,000 miles on vehicle. 20 qt. total capacity. 10 quarts of full strength.

History:
1st 9 years- Original Green every 3 years since new.

9-22 years, currently running Amsoil Polypropylene Glycol (low tox.)

Coolant system is in great shape!
- Hoses, thermostat, radiator, WP, up to date condition. I will be putting a new cap (15psi) on as a preventative maintenance due to being original. Original heater core, and I want to keep it that way... if you know what I mean!

It's getting crappy looking, especially in the reservoir. Thinking about just running the Amsoil again?

Any favorites for this engine? I can get Amsoil for ~30 gallon, but if it prevents me from having to do a heater core it is worth it!

My choices in order of preference:
1. Amsoil Polypropylene Glycol from preferred member
2. Zerex Original green from NAPA
3. Preston (all makes models) from WalMart

Amsoil is my #1 choice, because it has worked well for 13 years. I am also concerned about shocking the system with a different coolant and creating a leak.

I have to get full strength, as it is impossible to get all the water out of the system when doing a back flush with the garden hose (Preston kit). I am not opening engine plugs to drain the block or anything extraordinary on a 22 year old vehicle that is rusting away anyway.

Distilled water will be used as much as possible.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Amsoil, but in your case, I'd use it if it would provide piece of mind plus the fact you don't pay full retail.

My coolant change interval was 7 years for Amsoil the 1st run, and 6 years currently on the second run.

It is getting crappy looking so it is coming out this weekend. Most likely for the last change ever!

I certainly wouldn't use the original green stuff when much more modern alternatives are available. Know nothing about Amsoil. If it was mine I've go with Mopar coolant which is good for 5 years or 100,000 miles. Flushing out the system would be the most important thing even if you have to buy 20 gallons of distilled water, it would be worth it.

Zerex G-05 is one of the safer alternatives when switching an older vehicle from green coolant to a 5 year coolant, and dodge did initially switch to that coolant type. If you're feeling a bit more adventurous you can go to the more modern prestone all makes all models and save some money on coolant changes.

Coolants with silica can make the reservoir look a bit more yucky but does not seem to impact cooling performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zfasts03
Decided: Amsoil and distilled water is going in this Sat. after a good flush.

Is that there Heavy Duty Antifreeze?

Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by das_peikko
I like Prestone Dexcool.

Dexcool is best left for cooling systems specifying it...

What do you think Prestone All Makes and Models is?

SuperTech 50/50 pre-mix in everything I own. Better than what came from the factory in my old junks. Change it when the test strips tell me to.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted by das_peikko
I like Prestone Dexcool.

Dexcool is best left for cooling systems specifying it...

What do you think Prestone All Makes and Models is?

I'm not sure if that formula has 2-Eha, if it doesn't, it's just fine.
If it does, i would avoid it like the plague except in GM vehicles.

I would imagine one of the mass-market "low-tox" coolants would be acceptable to mix in with Amsoil - but the add packs are different. If it was me, I'd use that Amsoil stuff(or Sierra/Prestone Low-Tox but it needs to be changed more often) or G-05.

It's a shame PG-based coolants never took off - the lower toxicity can prevent many pet poisonings, but also it's safer in the environment since coolant is almost always the first fluid to be leaked out during a collision. However, propylene glycol when it breaks down in the environment uses more dissolved oxygen compared to ethylene glycol. The OEMs were cold to PG-based coolants.

VW is now using G-13(Glysantin GG40) that replaces part of the ethylene glycol with glycerin. City buses are starting to use a glycerin-based coolant like this: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/sites/default/files/LT36060.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back