What cleaner to use for oil stains on concrete driveway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've stopped using the Castrol cleaner on the engine as it will pit aluminum and I don't want it around any connectors, but it does work well for oil on the driveway.

Put some kitty litter on it, then grind it in with a brick or piece of 2Xsomething. Let it set till it all blows away and the stain is gone.

quote:

Originally posted by bigwillie:
What cleaner can i use to get the numerouse oil stains off of my concrete driveway?

Powdered cement works good as well as baking flour.

quote:

Originally posted by Warstud:

quote:

Originally posted by bigwillie:
What cleaner can i use to get the numerouse oil stains off of my concrete driveway?

Powdered cement works good as well as baking flour.

Follow up to my previous comment, what I mentioned is for fresh spills. As far as older stains I think I would try something non-toxic first like the simple green first.

Greased lightening is the best thing at removing grease/oil period. For old stains take scotchbrite and Greased lightening.

Simple Green works well, but the spot you cleaned will be cleaner than the surrounding areas which might not look so great to you.

The pressure washer is good, steam is even better(cleans everything), but for easy cleaning(and cheap), bleach is great for general cleaning of concrete( cleans away the blackish mildew), but does nothing with the oil and grease...

would the same methods here work for blacktop or asphalt? The neighbor's leaker is leaving unsightly (massive) stains on the blacktop in front of my house and I would like to get rid of them. I am kinda surprised that the car still runs with it losing that much oil.

quote:

Originally posted by ZJ JIM 96:
I used Pour-n-Restore, recently, and the results were amazing. It's no good for blacktop, but works great on concrete. Very easy to use, too.

http://www.pour-n-restore.com/

I second that. It's expensive, but it has worked better then anything else I have tried. It also is the easiest to use and requires the least amount of effort.

It also doesn't seem to discolor the concrete like greased lightning will (nothing wrong with greased lightning, it just leaves an extra clean spot).

I've used pour n restore on 2 year old stains and the stuff still works on it.

Griots has something similar, but of course it is even more expensive.

I should have clarified. I was thinking of the WD40 and/or cat litter method. I guess I'll give it a try since they're cheap.

Mineral spirits scrubbed in with a brush. Then while its wet cover with floor dry. Wait a day or two and the spot will be gone.

I used this method to clean a pit that had never been while it was used for semi truck maintenance.Behind the steps there was three inches of grease, dirt, everything you could think of. Well I used this method the the floor looked brand new
smile.gif

Ive used this method time after time and its never failed me yet
smile.gif

Powdered laundry detergent. Take the powder and add enough water to make a loose paste. Apply with a stiff brush and leave over night. Rinse with hose or power washer. Works on concrete or blacktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back